5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead battery would have left me stranded...

frisby5

Reaction score
My 2022's battery was running down quickly while parked. Problem was my car cam being plugged into the cig lighter plug on the top of the dash. That plug on my truck came wired to get power directly from the battery so the cam depleted the battery over 4-5 days. The fix is to set that receptacle to be powered through the ignition switch by moving it's fuse to an alternate spot as shown in the user's manual.
Im gonna have to remember that ,and swap the fuse ,i.leave stuff plugged into mine

killerformula

Reaction score
I left my truck for 12 days in Northern Michigan last month. 10-20 degrees everyday, no issues. Weird.
It really seems like some of these batteries are just worse than others.

Got the truck back from the dealer they said it had codes, they cleared them, tested the battery every thing is fine. Wow. I’ll just get a real battery. Awful.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Got the truck back from the dealer they said it had codes, they cleared them, tested the battery every thing is fine. Wow. I’ll just get a real battery. Awful.
Like I said before, my battery did this, dealer said it was fine, been over two years and no other issue with same battery

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The batteries in my 3500 are junk. I've had to charge/jump it more times than I can count.

I have a hard time believing my dash cam, which shuts down and has a guard mode and battery state sense, would drain the battery in one week. I personally think the parasitic draw is in the entertainment system. We've all seen that thing wake up when you go near the truck with a FOB.

My old A6 has a crappy walmart battery and can sit in the airport garage for a week and still start and has the exact same make/model dashcam. Same for my 04.5 2500 that sat for a month or more with the same dashcam and always started with 13 year old batteries before they finally gave it up. The new Deka batts I put in that truck that were supposed to be superior "ambulance grade" that I got from a hook up were crap too.

I just wish I had paid more attention to the annual Christmas time price drop cycle on the Noco GBX155 jump pack and picked one up @ $150 off.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I left my truck for 12 days in Northern Michigan last month. 10-20 degrees everyday, no issues. Weird.

I never had issues with batteries in cold weather, but when I lived in Phoenix, I would go through a battery every 2-3 years. That was back in the 90's when cars had very few computers. When I moved back to Idaho, I bought a 2008 Toyota Tundra. I replaced the factory battery in 2021, the day before I sold it because the dealer said it was starting to go bad. That said, I am going to replace my factory battery with an AGM H8 as soon as it starts acting up. Based on the posts here, it's not worth my time to get the battery replaced under warranty.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score

Considering the low quality battery installed in new Rams, replacement with a high quality aftermarket 16 months later is CHEAP imho.

You’re driving a $60+K vehicle, and spending under $200 for a 7yr battery now is a wise choice. I’m replacing mine at 2 yrs in Sept this year. When my truck is sitting for over 4 days the battery is on a charging tender now.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I never had issues with batteries in cold weather, but when I lived in Phoenix, I would go through a battery every 2-3 years. That was back in the 90's when cars had very few computers. When I moved back to Idaho, I bought a 2008 Toyota Tundra. I replaced the factory battery in 2021, the day before I sold it because the dealer said it was starting to go bad. That said, I am going to replace my factory battery with an AGM H8 as soon as it starts acting up. Based on the posts here, it's not worth my time to get the battery replaced under warranty.
OK. I never see batteries fail when its cold either, I mean never, ever, like impossible.... cold has no effect on battery performance, just heat. Right?

my comment referred to original post and temp. Its ok, you know what is cool about the replacement mopar battery. They are not the same as the ones they take out.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OK. I never see batteries fail when its cold either, I mean never, ever, like impossible.... cold has no effect on battery performance, just heat. Right?

my comment referred to original post and temp. Its ok, you know what is cool about the replacement mopar battery. They are not the same as the ones they take out.
Cold definitely has a negative effect on batteries. Why do you think there is a battery blanket from the factory? Also why vehicles start harder when it's cold. CCAs are reduced the colder it gets

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cold definitely has a negative effect on batteries. Why do you think there is a battery blanket from the factory? Also why vehicles start harder when it's cold. CCAs are reduced the colder it gets
Ummmmm no way could you not sense the sarcasm

Idahoktm

Reaction score

I'm not sure why you got your panties in a bunch...just sharing my experience with batteries. Too many people think that every reply is some sort of personal attack.

krhW9yWEI0x0Y.gif

Idahoktm

Reaction score

killerformula

Reaction score
Out of curiosity what is the preferred battery type to switch to? Interstate? I see people are talking about H8 (I think the factory battery is h7). I am also considering lithium ion, wonder if anybody could recommend a brand.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always want to start typing in threads like this and every time I do, I keep thinking that as soon as I say something positive….so I’ll just say it’s a battery manufacturer thing & the build quality of lost things in all industries going downhill. Should they replace for free on a 2022 with low miles? I think so. I have 53k on my 2022 & traded in my 21 with 59k - I think free battery replacement under 60k is definitely fair, maybe even 80-100k - but we all know it really comes down to the hours of the battery running. It’s nice to see how much is idle & how much is driving. Might give an idea of how much the alternator is, or should be, keeping the battery operating longer.

Jako

Reaction score

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Out of curiosity what is the preferred battery type to switch to? Interstate? I see people are talking about H8 (I think the factory battery is h7). I am also considering lithium ion, wonder if anybody could recommend a brand.
I was going to wait and replace my battery in September, but noticed now the H8 (49) model of the battery I’m putting in is today $40 less expensive than their standard H7 (94R). This is the replacement brand (Farm + Fleet) I used in my 4th Gen and was over 6 yrs old when traded. I put this same Platinum model F+F battery in the wifes Lexus that was sold to a friend, and is over 7yrs old and still working.

I purchased the larger H8 battery Heat Shield several months ago anticipating this future battery replacement.

Blain's Farm & Fleet 7-Year Platinum Automotive Battery, 49 - 49P | Blain's Farm & Fleet

Users who are viewing this thread