5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check all that apply to your Trucks Build Sheet

• eTorque

Votes: 109 43.6%
  • AGM Battery

Votes: 59 23.6%
  • Lead Acid Battery

Votes: 132 52.8%
  • non eTorque

Votes: 102 40.8%

• Total voters

llando88

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Good info. My truck is a regular old V8, no eTorque etc.

So at the moment everything is back to normal; the rotary encoders are working properly. I drove about 120 miles today at freeway speed to deliver a load of moving boxes (we bought a house this week) and I'm sure that gave it a good charge. Voltage was showing around 13.4-13.5 Volts on the readout now.

Startups are brisk, no issues with the truck at this time. It looks like it took 2-3 restarts for the rotary knobs to reset (I guess). Out of an abundance of caution I removed the LED Receiver light (guess I'll put my ball back in) and I haven't figured out where I am going to connect the Garmin Mini2 USB, but it won't be on the dash top 12V outlet, I don't think.

Phew!

Much appreciate the thread and all the helpful comments. It was very useful.

Rich

e55amg2

Reaction score
I'm now on my 3rd battery in 4 years. All AGM, and I have an E-torque. 2/3 have been covered by warranty, thankfully. I'm going to get rid of the POS FCA battery and go to a Deka (Napa) battery as soon as this one dies.

zieke

Reaction score
I have a 21 1500 5.7 etorque w/ 15k miles. Drove 125 miles the other day without issue. Arrived at my destination, hung out for a bit then went to dinner...again, no issues. Parked for the night, truck wouldn't start. Jumped the battery, went to Oreilly's, battery tested fine however "alternator" showed "Voltage Regulator Failure". I needed to get home so I didn't shut the truck off and the voltage was consistent at 3/8 on the gauge. When I would come to a stoplight and let the auto stop/start engage it would drop to 1/4...stereo was off, climated control was off, wasn't even charging my phone. Anyone else have this issue?

slatersan

Reaction score
Dealer replaced one at 2.5 yrs and 38k miles. A year later, I just replaced another with a different brand. Either these batteries just suck *** or something else is going on.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealer replaced one at 2.5 yrs and 38k miles. A year later, I just replaced another with a different brand. Either these batteries just suck *** or something else is going on.
Could be a parasitic battery drain. ⏲️🔦⌛📲

emings

Reaction score
Mine made it 76k miles on the original battery before replacement

Merlin

Reaction score
Mine made it to 27000 or so before it went dead in May/June 2023. Got the truck Jan. 2019. regular battery.
The day it died the truck started slow. I was driving and checked the voltage and it was down around 13. Usually 14.2-14.4.
When I got home I went inside and changed and remote started the truck and it barely started, voltage was dropping. I left it idling, called the shop I go to and drove over. They said the battery wouldn't hold a charge anymore, everything else tested fine. New Interstate battery and voltage hangs out around 14.5 to 14.7 when its running. even with a laptop plugged in and phones charging.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine made it to 27000 or so before it went dead in May/June 2023. Got the truck Jan. 2019. regular battery.
The day it died the truck started slow. I was driving and checked the voltage and it was down around 13. Usually 14.2-14.4.
When I got home I went inside and changed and remote started the truck and it barely started, voltage was dropping. I left it idling, called the shop I go to and drove over. They said the battery wouldn't hold a charge anymore, everything else tested fine. New Interstate battery and voltage hangs out around 14.5 to 14.7 when its running. even with a laptop plugged in and phones charging.
Voltage reading when it's running is from the alternator, not the battery. Or am I wrong?

Your battery lasted 3.5 years. Not bad. I'm planning on getting a new battery soon. I'll be at 3yrs this June.

Merlin

Reaction score
Voltage reading when it's running is from the alternator, not the battery. Or am I wrong?

Your battery lasted 3.5 years. Not bad. I'm planning on getting a new battery soon. I'll be at 3yrs this June.
The voltage was dropping while it was running. The battery was done, lucky the shop is only a mile and a half or so from my house. If I had worked overtime that day I would have been stuck.

Ryan6900

Reaction score
I just passed 20k miles on my 2019 and the battery died this week. (I only drive it on weekends) I also have a 5k watt aftermarket stereo in it. I guess I've been lucky for it to last this long. But now I want a heftier battery. I was thinking of the XS Power D3100, but I'm not sure if it will fit. Its 8.9" tall. Not sure if the hood will close.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just passed 20k miles on my 2019 and the battery died this week. (I only drive it on weekends) I also have a 5k watt aftermarket stereo in it. I guess I've been lucky for it to last this long. But now I want a heftier battery. I was thinking of the XS Power D3100, but I'm not sure if it will fit. Its 8.9" tall. Not sure if the hood will close.
Yeah, that might be a little over kill. :unsure:

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
My 2019 Rebel's went at about 30k in miles IIRC. My wife's 2021 JGC-L just went at 30k. Seems like FCA is either a) using crap batteries, b) have sub-par charging systems, c) have way too high of a draw on the battery or d) all of the above.

Both vehicles are daily drivers too. Driven 5-6 days a week.

And it's not just the e-torques because my wife's doesn't have that.

Users who are viewing this thread