5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check all that apply to your Trucks Build Sheet

• eTorque

Votes: 109 43.6%
  • AGM Battery

Votes: 59 23.6%
  • Lead Acid Battery

Votes: 132 52.8%
  • non eTorque

Votes: 102 40.8%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Just got my 2019 Ram big horn. Etorque. Got it used yesterday with 60k miles. Drove 50 miles, 3 times the 8.4 rebooted after the truck was already running. I thought, well that's weird but maybe I was bumping something I didn't realize in the new to me truck. Woke up this morning. Truck is clear dead, no lights at all. Took forever to get charged back enough to start.

Interesting to me, the usb outlet were not turning off like the ones in the front. Also the screen in the gauge cluster was not turning off. Even with truck off, door closed, key in the house, wait 30 minutes.....screen still on.

When I did get it running all kinds of stuff was messed up. You couldn't even set the temp. On the AC anymore, it would just say HI or LO.

Dealer took it back for repair. They said they out a tech right on it. Hope so.
Please excuse my auto correct. My typing out runs my attention span sometimes.

Reaction score
Update. Dealer replaced the Steering Wheel control Module. Voltage all looked good when i got the truck back. Woke up the next morning Still 12v on the battery and runs great. Hopefully it lasts.

Reactions: c3k

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Crazy to know about the battery issue. My battery issue came down to my dash cam that was plugged into the top of the dash outlet. Dealer told me that it was pulling enough power to completely drain the battery.

I had my dash cam installed since day one in the same spot. 4 months later. It kills my battery. Guess I'm going to have to plug it into a different spot or just move the fuse so that power outlet isn't powered when I shut off the truck.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

66ss

Reaction score
2019 ram. Original battery went around 19,000. Today at 26,xxx battery dead as a door nail. Diehard charger showing 0% in the battery upon hook up. At 19,000 dealer originally said it was just the battery. No power draw issues. This via they tests they did 🤷🏻‍♂️. Don’t know what the issue is now. Maybe the factory Mopar batteries just suck?!?!

Rambo1984

Reaction score
I'm going to add my experience on here in hopes somebody has any advice or maybe can help somebody down the road. i have a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie. bought it brand new and right around 66K on it now. I have loved the truck, but its testing my patience now. Couple months ago, rock smacked my windshield going down the road. Turns out, not chips or cracks. about a minute later, my screen/radio shut down, heater came on and couldn't adjust, and front two windows wouldn't work. This goes on for couple days, and then starts working fine. then i start getting error message about blind spot and left rear turn signal not working. but the turn signal does work. this rocks on for couple weeks. then go to start one morning dead...jumped easy and ran fine rest of day. next day, same thing. go by new battery and test alternator. alternator checks out, battery is good. have now had to jump start every morning. pretty dang frustrating. closest dealers are all couple hours away and about 3 weeks behind. got appointment next week.

dahknee

Reaction score
After numerous jump starts over the past 2 years, I purchased an Interstate H8 AGM from Costco. No issues for the past 2 months. Never took it to the dealer.
Unfortunately, my battery was drained again today, 4.1V. I did have something strange happen when I parked last night, the steps auto-deployed once I put it in park. I thought it was pretty cool.

I guess I'll finally turn it in to the dealer to see what they can find.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Gipraw

Reaction score
Drove mine Saturday about 5 miles. Went out yesterday afternoon and it was totally dead. It’s been 5 weeks or so since the first time it died. No trouble in between. I’ll check the voltage tomorrow, then put the jump box on it and take it up to my shop so I can test the battery again. Curious what I will find out.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought my 2019 new just under 3 years ago. 67K miles on it now. Still original factory battery. Yesterday, I had these same issues y'all have posted about, for the first time. I started a thread about it before I saw that this is a known issue.

I charged the battery overnight (with a trickle charger) and was able to start the truck this morning. But, it was showing the CEL and the "elecronic stability control" error. And it would not shift out of 1st gear.

It is at the dealership now. But, I wish I had looked here and found this info first. I think I would have just swapped the battery for a new one and seen if that fixed it.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought my 2019 new just under 3 years ago. 67K miles on it now. Still original factory battery. Yesterday, I had these same issues y'all have posted about, for the first time. I started a thread about it before I saw that this is a known issue.

I charged the battery overnight (with a trickle charger) and was able to start the truck this morning. But, it was showing the CEL and the "elecronic stability control" error. And it would not shift out of 1st gear.

It is at the dealership now. But, I wish I had looked here and found this info first. I think I would have just swapped the battery for a new one and seen if that fixed it.
Do you have any accessories, mods that might use battery when it's off?

It's possible that the battery can just be the issue, but if you have anything plugged into the top dash power outlet, that one is always on. Even if you turn off the truck.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

It's possible that the battery can just be the issue, but if you have anything plugged into the top dash power outlet, that one is always on. Even if you turn off the truck.

That is fuse 54A (constant power). But it can be switched to54B (IGN power) by "flipping" the fuse. My 2019 came equipped with 54B, ignition power.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I did not have anything plugged into any power outlets. All the doors were fully closed. The headlight switch was in the Auto position.

The ONLY non-factory thing I had on the truck was the VLED license plate LED light strip. That was connected to power behind the bumper using a Curt trailer wiring harness plug thing.

I took the light strip and wiring off before I sent the truck to the dealership, just to ensure they didn't notice that and try to say that my add-on wiring harness is what killed my truck. I do not believe it had anything to do with the battery being dead.

Gipraw

Reaction score
Mine died for the third time two days ago. Battery voltage was 2.05 volts. Replaced it with a new battery. Didn’t even bother with the dealership. Sad that at one year and 4,300 miles I had to replace the battery.

FinalBoss

Reaction score
Found this thread while idling in my jumped 2019 1500 Laramie waiting for it to get some charge because it also wouldn’t shift out of first/ACC error/no air conditioning in Florida heat. It was sitting for a week but nothing plugged in.

It’s often had some odd ghost problems as I like to call them. HVAC suddenly turn off while driving. Random Park sensor errors while driving. Electric step runners fail to deploy when door opened or stays deployed after door closed. A couple times where after coming to a stop sign or red light it fails to shift in to gear so stuck there like an idiot revving the engine. Not sure if I’m ultimately just lucky or what but I’m 38 and this is the first vehicle I’ve ever owned with so many weird electrical problems.

biggggant

Reaction score
2019 hemi none e torque with 56k miles just had to replace the battery last weekend. The only sign I had was the truck didn't start on the first press saturday night and then sunday morning it wouldn't start and eventually my amp powersteps wouldn't deploy

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
21 Limited
24k-ish miles
Last week had a weird issue where the adaptive cruise and forward collision sensors quit working in the middle of a drive.
Been watching battery voltage since then as I couldn't find any other reason for the error.
Battery was showing 12v at rest with DMM after sitting overnight.
Had my wife start it and the voltage dipped to 10.5v, so this morning we went to Wallyworld and I bought an H8 AGM.

smashweights

Reaction score
21 Limited
24k-ish miles
Last week had a weird issue where the adaptive cruise and forward collision sensors quit working in the middle of a drive.
Been watching battery voltage since then as I couldn't find any other reason for the error.
Battery was showing 12v at rest with DMM after sitting overnight.
Had my wife start it and the voltage dipped to 10.5v, so this morning we went to Wallyworld and I bought an H8 AGM.
Yep, as the voltage drops with the dying battery a lot of the systems stop working

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have never seen an AGM H8 in stock in any Walmart I've been to here in NJ/PA. :(
I've only seen the regular EverStart Maxx H7, which is fine because that's what I use on all my vehicles.

bpwj76

Reaction score
I have 55k miles on mine and the truck was built in July 2018. Just had to buy a battery this morning. Went to crank the truck after work yesterday and the starter was real slow to crank the engine and I got the "Check Start/Stop System" error message. Got home and it wouldn't crank back up. I have been noticing some signs though. The starter has been a little bit slow to crank for the last dozen or so start-ups. All systems are and were working though.

traveller09

Reaction score
I have 55k miles on mine and the truck was built in July 2018. Just had to buy a battery this morning. Went to crank the truck after work yesterday and the starter was real slow to crank the engine and I got the "Check Start/Stop System" error message. Got home and it wouldn't crank back up. I have been noticing some signs though. The starter has been a little bit slow to crank for the last dozen or so start-ups. All systems are and were working though.
I had a 95 Land Cruiser. I learned the hard way that the first time it was just a little slow starting that was your one and only warning you needed a new battery. The first time I was stuck in a parking lot, the second time I had a sluggish start I immediately changed my plans and went and bought a new battery.

Levi Morgan

Reaction score
My 2019 always cranked without the slightest hesitation. One morning it is stone dead. 38k miles. Dealer put in new battery. $280.00!!

Users who are viewing this thread