5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check all that apply to your Trucks Build Sheet

• eTorque

Votes: 109 43.6%
  • AGM Battery

Votes: 59 23.6%
  • Lead Acid Battery

Votes: 132 52.8%
  • non eTorque

Votes: 102 40.8%

• Total voters

ronmac7609

Reaction score
Don`t want to jinx myself but the truck has been working fine for weeks now after installing a blue-tooth battery monitor.
I connected the gnd. lug to the fender ground,
it looked little oxidized so wiggled it around before tightening it back down. Had the gnd. checked under TSB couple years ago BTW.

I might have stumbled up on something...
Do you have a picture of where this is located?

ronmac7609

Reaction score
After it wouldn't start Sunday and Monday again and needed to be towed to dealer (that's a whole other story with roadside assistance not showing after 5 hours and not even helping me), the starter was replaced. Had to find my own tow and pay. Seeking reimbursement for tow now.

Sportznut

Reaction score
It has been about a month. The new H8 seems to be the answer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It has been about a month. The new H8 seems to be the answer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the update.
Sad situation with the OEM batteries testing good when they are not. Makes the situation more difficult to diagnose the issues. My first sign was not coming out of 1st gear. How many people are having these problems and how many are cursing Ram?
Nice to have the 5th Gen Forum and helpful members.

Bradykar

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Limited. ~50,000 miles. dead battery. took a jump. next morning dead battery. put on charger for two hours, went to advance auto. turned off truck. opened door. and then restarted truck with out issues. they tested battery 3 times in 20 minutes. said good battery. tried to start to leave and dead battery, needed jumped to start. took to local dealer, no issues with starting or moving vehicle around. they tested battery and said it was good. I told them to just replace it. Yesterday, ran truck for 30 minutes around town. Today, 3 inch snow fall, truck say about 15 hours, tried to start and dead battery. Had to jump new battery with other vehicle. Not sure if its the auto leveling of the weight of the snow on the tonneau cover pushing the bed down engaging the auto leveling or just some random draw. Another appointment scheduled for the dealership..

Not a running board issue. Power to dash, touch screen has power, but not enough power to turn truck over. Dealership said alternator and starter were good.

Update: After the dealership put a new battery in (factory one) that I had to pay for. The truck worked for about 3 weeks. The battery died again and was unable to be started. needed a jump. Took it back to the dealership and they had it for several days and "cleaned the grounds" up and gave it back. It worked for about 2 weeks and then died and needed jumped again. Took it back and complained to the service manager. They convinced me to let them keep it for the problem to duplicate. They had my truck for about a month and I was driving a loaner minivan around. They got the truck to duplicate the issue and determined that it was the RF control hub behind the rear seats that was the problem. They replaced it and gave it back to me. 12 days after that occurred, you guessed it, had to jump it again. jumped it for 4 days and the fifth day it started without issue. The day after it started up and then when i turned the truck off was unable to turn it back on. The truck would not take a jump. Had the truck towed to the dealership. Dealership said it was actually the started and it was a bad starter. They hit it with a pry bar a couple times and it worked. $600+ later they replaced my starter as it wasnt covered under warranty. That was Monday. I traded the truck in that day.

Hope this helps somebody. after multiple times of my BATTERY, ALTERNATOR, STARTER being good and fine, it was the starter.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update: After the dealership put a new battery in (factory one) that I had to pay for. The truck worked for about 3 weeks. The battery died again and was unable to be started. needed a jump. Took it back to the dealership and they had it for several days and "cleaned the grounds" up and gave it back. It worked for about 2 weeks and then died and needed jumped again. Took it back and complained to the service manager. They convinced me to let them keep it for the problem to duplicate. They had my truck for about a month and I was driving a loaner minivan around. They got the truck to duplicate the issue and determined that it was the RF control hub behind the rear seats that was the problem. They replaced it and gave it back to me. 12 days after that occurred, you guessed it, had to jump it again. jumped it for 4 days and the fifth day it started without issue. The day after it started up and then when i turned the truck off was unable to turn it back on. The truck would not take a jump. Had the truck towed to the dealership. Dealership said it was actually the started and it was a bad starter. They hit it with a pry bar a couple times and it worked. $600+ later they replaced my starter as it wasnt covered under warranty. That was Monday. I traded the truck in that day.

Hope this helps somebody. after multiple times of my BATTERY, ALTERNATOR, STARTER being good and fine, it was the starter.
You had documented failures under warranty, even if you are past b2b warranty. you shouldve lemon lawed the truck. Trading it is giving them the easy way out while ripping you off coming and going.

Gipraw

Reaction score
I’ve had my truck 11 months, and it has 3,900 miles. Drove it to work and back last Thursday, and on Friday morning it was dead. Jump box started it with no issues. Put it on a trickle charger for the weekend, then tested the battery. no issues there. No parasitic draw from my tonneau cover or my AMP boards. Truck shows a 0.45 amp draw on my Klein clamp meter 20 minutes after turning it off. Hasn’t gone dead again, but did seem to struggle to start this morning. If it dies again I plan on taking it to the dealer.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had my truck 11 months, and it has 3,900 miles. Drove it to work and back last Thursday, and on Friday morning it was dead. Jump box started it with no issues. Put it on a trickle charger for the weekend, then tested the battery. no issues there. No parasitic draw from my tonneau cover or my AMP boards. Truck shows a 0.45 amp draw on my Klein clamp meter 20 minutes after turning it off. Hasn’t gone dead again, but did seem to struggle to start this morning. If it dies again I plan on taking it to the dealer.

0.45 amp seems a bit steep for a resting current.

Others are more knowledgeable about this than I am, but I'd think several dozens of milliamps (.050 amp or so) would be all you'd see.

Gipraw

Reaction score
0.45 amp seems a bit steep for a resting current.

Others are more knowledgeable about this than I am, but I'd think several dozens of milliamps (.050 amp or so) would be all you'd see.

I was thinking it was a bit much as well. Thanks. I think I will check the grounds this weekend and see if I find any issues there.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking it was a bit much as well. Thanks. I think I will check the grounds this weekend and see if I find any issues there.
Should be no more than 50 milliamps, it could take up to an hour for everything to go to sleep.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After numerous jump starts over the past 2 years, I purchased an Interstate H8 AGM from Costco. No issues for the past 2 months. Never took it to the dealer.
me to (y)

Attachments

• 20210617_140304.jpg
    20210617_140304.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_1876_InPixio.jpg
    100_1876_InPixio.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 35

Duckfan1967

Reaction score
My truck is 1 week old, 313 miles on the odometer and I noticed my battery meter is only registering less than 50%. Doesn’t this seem low for a brand new truck?

Attachments

• 496D4F05-FBAC-4A7D-828D-A6A61F5D7309.jpeg
    496D4F05-FBAC-4A7D-828D-A6A61F5D7309.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 23

smashweights

Reaction score
My truck is 1 week old, 313 miles on the odometer and I noticed my battery meter is only registering less than 50%. Doesn’t this seem low for a brand new truck?
That is not your battery meter. That's your system voltage. Very different and varies of the truck is running or not

Reaction score
Just got my 2019 Ram big horn. Etorque. Got it used yesterday with 60k miles. Drove 50 miles, 3 times the 8.4 rebooted after the truck was already running. I thought, well that's weird but maybe I was bumping something I didn't realize in the new to me truck. Woke up this morning. Truck is clear dead, no lights at all. Took forever to get charged back enough to start.

Interesting to me, the usb outlet were not turning off like the ones in the front. Also the screen in the gauge cluster was not turning off. Even with truck off, door closed, key in the house, wait 30 minutes.....screen still on.

When I did get it running all kinds of stuff was messed up. You couldn't even set the temp. On the AC anymore, it would just say HI or LO.

Dealer took it back for repair. They said they out a tech right on it. Hope so.

Users who are viewing this thread