5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead battery, now ABS, ESC, etc. lights on.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
A few days ago I went to start my truck after it sat for less than a day and the battery was dead. The running board came down, and the dash lit up, but the starter would not engage (no click, no crank). I charged the battery for an hour and it started right up, but I noticed that the parking brake was engaged. I did not engage it. Also, now the ABS, Stability Control, Adaptive Cruise, Collision Avoidance, Trailer Brake and Front/Rear parking sensor warning lights are on. I've disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes (not including the hour I let it charge) and the problem remains. The truck seems to drive OK, but obviously I don't have ABS and many of the other safety features. I'll be taking it to the dealer on Wednesday, but was wondering if anyone else had encountered this scenario.

I have no idea why the battery was dead, or why the parking brake was engaged. I'm wondering if perhaps it performed an update in the middle of the night and the battery died in the middle of it? Will a UConnect update run if you don't schedule it (I never even saw a notification that there was an update). Also, do the UConnect updates also update the drivetrain modules? All of these errors seem to point to the ABS module.

This is the first issue I've had with my truck, with the exception of the overhead console going dark (3 times).

Nlg4021

Reaction score
Same thing has happened to me and a few other members. Still no evident reason why but when I let the truck idle for a few minutes all of the warning lights went away after all the systems initialized themselves.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Unfortunately, in my case the lights aren't going away. I've been driving it around this way for days and the lights remain.

th3duke

Reaction score
A few days ago I went to start my truck after it sat for less than a day and the battery was dead. The running board came down, and the dash lit up, but the starter would not engage (no click, no crank). I charged the battery for an hour and it started right up, but I noticed that the parking brake was engaged. I did not engage it. Also, now the ABS, Stability Control, Adaptive Cruise, Collision Avoidance, Trailer Brake and Front/Rear parking sensor warning lights are on. I've disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes (not including the hour I let it charge) and the problem remains. The truck seems to drive OK, but obviously I don't have ABS and many of the other safety features. I'll be taking it to the dealer on Wednesday, but was wondering if anyone else had encountered this scenario.

I have no idea why the battery was dead, or why the parking brake was engaged. I'm wondering if perhaps it performed an update in the middle of the night and the battery died in the middle of it? Will a UConnect update run if you don't schedule it (I never even saw a notification that there was an update). Also, do the UConnect updates also update the drivetrain modules? All of these errors seem to point to the ABS module.

This is the first issue I've had with my truck, with the exception of the overhead console going dark (3 times).

A few of us had the problem, some never had the problem happen again, but in my case it happened 3 times. It's currently at the dealer waiting for a "PDC" (Power Distribution Centre). Apparently the part is on backorder.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
A few of us had the problem, some never had the problem happen again, but in my case it happened 3 times. It's currently at the dealer waiting for a "PDC" (Power Distribution Centre). Apparently the part is on backorder.
How long have you been waiting for the part? Your ABS/SC lights didn't go off on their own either?

th3duke

Reaction score
How long have you been waiting for the part? Your ABS/SC lights didn't go off on their own either?

Actually all my lights stayed when I boosted it to drive it to the dealership, everything in the truck was wonkie (no more backup camera, no more Serius xm) and by the time I got to the dealership, the only light that stayed on was the check engine light if I remember correctly - the two other times, the battery was completely dead and got it towed.

I have now been waiting for the part since the 19th of December - and because of the holidays I would imagine I'll be waiting a bit longer to hear back from them.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Just got it back from the dealer. They had to reinitialize the ABS computer. They think that an intermittent short in a module in the overhead console may have kept the LIN BUS awake, which killed the battery. They are unsure why the ABS computer needed to be reinitialized, but it seems to be working ok for now.

LadyRam19

Reaction score
My truck was dead Friday. (was parked in insulated garage for a week)
Step came down and I had dash lights and uconnect screen was on.
Hit the button to start and all I got was a very load noise coming from the speaker.
Jumped the truck and was fine after that .

drsubie

Reaction score
My dealer had to clear out the OBD codes that came up after my truck was dead; alternator and battery checked out fine, they think it was b/c I left the doors and hood open for several hours working on the truck LOL... seems to be fine now...

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
I'm convinced that my battery is now partially bad, since it died. The battery used to rest at 12.6-12.8V after shutting off the truck. Now it drops to 12.0 within a couple minutes, but will stay at 12.0 for days of inactivity. I'm going to take it back to the dealer to try to prove to them that the battery is now bad, and have them replace it. Lead acid batteries don't like being below 11V, and sometimes will not recover. I believe that's what happened in my case.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm convinced that my battery is now partially bad, since it died. The battery used to rest at 12.6-12.8V after shutting off the truck. Now it drops to 12.0 within a couple minutes, but will stay at 12.0 for days of inactivity. I'm going to take it back to the dealer to try to prove to them that the battery is now bad, and have them replace it. Lead acid batteries don't like being below 11V, and sometimes will not recover. I believe that's what happened in my case.

I do not know where you live, but don't forget to account for temperature. As the temperature drops, there's a corresponding drop in terminal voltage. A measurement at 30 F of 12.00 volts may be 12.60 at 70 F.

The best way to determine battery condition is with a load test.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 008054 miles.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
I do not know where you live, but don't forget to account for temperature. As the temperature drops, there's a corresponding drop in terminal voltage. A measurement at 30 F of 12.00 volts may be 12.60 at 70 F.

The best way to determine battery condition is with a load test.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 008054 miles.
Good point. The dealer tested the battery when it went in for the ABS computer a few weeks ago, and they said it passed. But something has changed since the battery died. The battery cranks more slowly, and my dashcam (which automatically cuts off at 12.5v) doesn't even stay on when I shut the truck off. These changes all happened immediately after the battery died. It's been between 20-60F here over the past few weeks, and the 12.0V has been pretty consistent.

Dave

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good point. The dealer tested the battery when it went in for the ABS computer a few weeks ago, and they said it passed. But something has changed since the battery died. The battery cranks more slowly, and my dashcam (which automatically cuts off at 12.5v) doesn't even stay on when I shut the truck off. These changes all happened immediately after the battery died. It's been between 20-60F here over the past few weeks, and the 12.0V has been pretty consistent.

Dave

Hi Dave,

You can really hurt a lead-acid battery by having it completely discharge. Sounds like you need a replacement.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 008091 miles.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

You can really hurt a lead-acid battery by having it completely discharge. Sounds like you need a replacement.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 008091 miles.
Agreed. Unfortunately, it "passes the test" that the dealer is running on it, so it can't be replaced under warranty. I can't wait for it to strand me somewhere this winter. I'd buy an upgraded battery (Optima, etc.), but it seems like there are very few options for the size that comes in our trucks.

paulmarsh22

Reaction score

I'm assuming this has never been figured out? I just had the same issue. I travel alot for work, was gone for 3 weeks, come home and the battery was dead. The sidesteps come down, dash lights up but engine won't crank over. Measured the battery at 7.6V. So I charged it, started it up and got all those service lights. Tried clearing them, leaving battery disconnected, etc and still no resolution. Drives fine but lights won't go away. Taking it into a service center soon but doubtful they'll figure it out.

*UPDATE*
Took it into the dealer and they reset the ABS module. Not sure what killed the battery as it passed their test. Although the battery only sits at 12.2V instead of 12.6V. Guess that's good enough. Resetting the module fixed everything but I noticed something weird with my Uconnect. The "auto" climate setting only seems to put out hot air. It will only blow cold if I set it to manual and max AC. Also, I figured I'd have to redo some of my settings after having the battery unplugged but some of the menus I go into are blank. If I click on lighting, there's nothing there. Same with a few others. Also, my seat warmer/cooling button only show high/low, instead of high/low/off like before.

Last edited:

bhargraves

Reaction score
I'm assuming this has never been figured out? I just had the same issue. I travel alot for work, was gone for 3 weeks, come home and the battery was dead. The sidesteps come down, dash lights up but engine won't crank over. Measured the battery at 7.6V. So I charged it, started it up and got all those service lights. Tried clearing them, leaving battery disconnected, etc and still no resolution. Drives fine but lights won't go away. Taking it into a service center soon but doubtful they'll figure it out.

*UPDATE*
Took it into the dealer and they reset the ABS module. Not sure what killed the battery as it passed their test. Although the battery only sits at 12.2V instead of 12.6V. Guess that's good enough. Resetting the module fixed everything but I noticed something weird with my Uconnect. The "auto" climate setting only seems to put out hot air. It will only blow cold if I set it to manual and max AC. Also, I figured I'd have to redo some of my settings after having the battery unplugged but some of the menus I go into are blank. If I click on lighting, there's nothing there. Same with a few others. Also, my seat warmer/cooling button only show high/low, instead of high/low/off like before.
Were you able to resolve this issue? I am now facing exactly the same thing and would like to figure out how to get it fixed. Thx!

paulmarsh22

Reaction score
Were you able to resolve this issue? I am now facing exactly the same thing and would like to figure out how to get it fixed. Thx!
Honestly, I just removed the damn thing because I was sick of dealing with issues. After they reset the ABS module, most of the issues went away. Then the UConnect did an update and that fixed the remaining issues. But every once in a while I would come out to a dead battery for some reason. Took it out completely and haven't had any issues since.

Zman57

Reaction score
Honestly, I just removed the damn thing because I was sick of dealing with issues. After they reset the ABS module, most of the issues went away. Then the UConnect did an update and that fixed the remaining issues. But every once in a while I would come out to a dead battery for some reason. Took it out completely and haven't had any issues since.
What did you take out/remove that fixed issue Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread