5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead Battery - Again, Last driven Sept 6, 2022

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
its what all southerners deal with. Heat destroys batteries, anything 3 years or older here will die suddenly. Ive commonly got replacement batteries at the 2.98 year mark.
You think heat destroys batteries, you should try living where it gets extremely cold for a few months.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What are your driving habits? Looking at 100,000 miles it appears a lot of driving.
Father and father in laws car batteries crapped out a little over 2 years , wife's 2017 Civic made it 4 years and died, my Ram was 2 years along with others on the forum.
Father and father in laws I would blame on lack of use.

Miss my Sear's batteries. Bought the best I could always made it the 5 years and probably more like 7. The best I had was in my 1985 Toyota Corolla SR5 that made it 10+, not sealed and maintained with distilled water.

View attachment 143874
Lack of use?

My 04.5 2500 oem batteries lasted 13 years with only about 60k miles of use. However, letting them go flat too often isn't good.

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
Not just the 2019 has this issue. I posted almost to the day a year ago when I took my 2020 Rebel with the 5.7 Hemi (non-elec) out for an off-road adventure up in Ouray, CO. Came out in the early AM to start up the truck and found it was totally dead. Paid for a service from another town to perform a power jump before committing to towing the truck to the nearest Ram dealership (over 40 miles away). Luckily, it did work and I made it home. Took the truck to my local dealership and of course they could not find any issues. I have had no additional "dead battery" issues since then...until now.

Woke up this morning to go to work and guess what? Totally dead battery again. I had purchased a Tacklife battery jumper after my last episode just so I wouldn't get stranded out in the desert or mountains somewhere; I totally don't feel like I can rely on this vehicle (don't get me started on my recurring 12-inch screen and USB port issues that the dealer can't ever seem to duplicate either).

After hooking up the Tacklife, I couldn't get the truck to start and received an error message stating the battery was too low to jump. But the device has a "boost" mode just for the occasion so I pushed that and the truck started up after a couple of attempts.

I barely have 20K miles after almost 3 years of ownership and now I have to make another trip to the dealership again. I am thrilled for folks that have had zero or very minor issues at worst, but I am totally convinced I paid $60K for a pile of bison manure. I was toying with the idea of going back to a Toyota 4Runner just so I can have more fun with my off-road adventures and I think this morning sealed the deal. I went over to the Toyota dealership and placed my name on the wait list for a 2023 TRD PRO or TRD Off-road Premium (yes, the old 4Runners are hot right now probably for similar reasons as folks don't want to chance the newer, more complicated versions coming out....the current 5th Gen 4Runner is certainly old tech but it works , you can beat them up, and they will last +200K-300K miles without stranding you somewhere).
Just wanted to chime in and add that I got my brand new 2020 Rebel at the end of 2020 and the battery died a few weeks ago when the colder temps came in. Jumped it twice to make sure it wasn't a fluke. 33k miles. Insane that it went out that quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread