5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead Battery - Again, Last driven Sept 6, 2022

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
Update: 9/21/22, Got my truck back from the dealer this morning. Make ready tech dropped it at the front door at 9 am (it was ready yesterday but .....). Wonder of wonders - they replaced the battery ( I looked at the terminal end of the ground straps, doesn't look like they took it apart). Ticket reads; 'Tested battery with GR8 - No cold cranking amps and will not charge'. This saga lasted 2 years 14 days, had over 15 'dead battery events' starting within the first week I owned the truck, required a minimum of 5 road RAM warranty service 'jump box' responses, multiple 'hook up my own battery charger' mornings, a half dozen ' damn it, I am gonna be late' panic attacks, 6 to 8 hours of service writer time on the phone or in person, 4 to 6 hours of tech time, at least several hours of conversations and emails with RAM Cares customer service, multiple calls to my handicap installer and the equipment manufacture, and additional $4,000 cost to me to replace the original handicap equipment with another unit to eliminate ALL possibility of non - OEM draw, multiple hours and msg's on this forum, the purchase of two personal jump boxes (the small glove box 1,000 amp didn't have enough capacity to draw from) and one 1.7 mile warranty wrecker call. But; damn it, I WON the $200 OEM battery on my bumper to bumper warranty.

Ok Ram Fans,
Here I go again. Rolled out to the truck to go pick up some meds. It has been 11 days since I last drove, and about 47 days since I got it back from the dealer (remember the front proximity sensor horn stuck 'ON' for over thirty minutes just after I got it back). In those 47 days it had easily started the few times I drove it maybe 100 miles, or used the key fob for remote starts. Because the remote start on the key fob didn't work, I reached in to prestart engine, my Auto Zone cigarette lighter auxiliary battery gauge showed 10.38 volts. I pushed the start button and a loud 'POP' came out of the speakers, but nothing else - not even dash display idiot lights. Pushed start button again, same 'POP', same dash nothing. No Problem I thought, So I got my brand spanking new (30-40 days riding in the back seat) NAPA 1100 amp battery jump box & pushed the test button - fully charged, hooked it up, pushed the test button again - dead battery. Turned jump box 'ON', rolled around and hit truck's starter button, POWER! It took several cranks but the engine started (even had parking lights on to take surge of power - do LEDs do that?). After I disconnected the jump box the engine kept running, but had a low end knock, a 'race cam'' lope,, and an intermittent cylinder ignition miss. I wrapped up the jump box, turned the lights off, tried to deploy my equipment and nothing - "12 Volt' alarm displayed on pendant. So, I video'd the blank dash display, the pendent alarm and the engine lope, miss fire and low end knock - got it on the sound track anyway. Then I tried to raise the engine RPM - nothing - would not go over 1100 RPM, tried several times - nothing. So I rolled around the truck trying to determine if the knock and cylinder miss were on left bank or right bank, I could not tell. Much to my surprise, and my neighbors son standing next to me, after idling about 5 or 6 minutes, the engine simply DIED. Rather than trying to restart it with the jump box, I tried to lock the door, but was not enough power to do even that. Guess it's time for a tow truck. It's Saturday afternoon, after 4 pm, no one but sales at the dealerships, so Monday is the earliest. Any usefulness in calling Ram road service? Any other suggestions? How about it RAM representative? p.s. For those who had been following the Minnie Pearl saga, I had a cold front drop ambient night time temps to 65F this week.

Last edited:

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I might have missed it but is this a new battery? Or the battery from 2019?

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
I might have missed it but is this a new battery? Or the battery from 2019?
OEM battery from 2019, truck manufacture date was July 2019, battery probably month before that. Vehicle sat on the lot for a year, I bought it in August 2020 w/92 miles, less than 5 days later battery died the first time while at my handicap equipment installers shop. His charger indicated 'bad battery', Nyle Maxwell Castroville dealership service dept. said battery OK. It's been dead over a dozen times since at various intervals from 5 days to 7 months. Three dealerships blame it on my non -OEM equipment, Braun manufacture says stand-bye power draw only 0.8 Ma/hour.
JLeach

mkling

Reaction score
I had similar situation on my low mileage 2018 Chrysler 300. Battery going dead multiple times when sitting a couple days. Battery tested good at parts store.
I started testing for draw while it was parked as I figured something must be draining it and it was within acceptable range. Fully charged battery and unhooked it from car. Let it rest. The started recording voltage and it would drop voltage slowly on its own. Couldn’t believe the battery needed replacing but finally broke down and bought a new one and all is good now.

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
I had similar situation on my low mileage 2018 Chrysler 300. Battery going dead multiple times when sitting a couple days. Battery tested good at parts store.
I started testing for draw while it was parked as I figured something must be draining it and it was within acceptable range. Fully charged battery and unhooked it from car. Let it rest. The started recording voltage and it would drop voltage slowly on its own. Couldn’t believe the battery needed replacing but finally broke down and bought a new one and all is good now.
Having kept a fleet of vehicles running for Dow during most of my 35 years there, and my own vehicles, motorhomes, boats and farm tractors, plus having spent an addition $4K to replace the first seat base in this truck with another one (thinking it could have a drain), I am personally convinced it is, and always has been the battery. In retrospect, I should have dropped a $300 Red Top in it, and only been pissed about that, than the dozen times the battery has died, and the hours wasted during the dozen and one times the dealerships have jacked me around. But when a man tells me, "You have a 3 year, 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty." HE ought to be the one dropping the battery in it.

rws1944

Reaction score
OEM battery life seems to be an issue with a lot of batteries, not just on the Ram. I have a 2019 5.7 HEMI and had the battery die. It was the original H7 size and I replaced it at 17k with an H8 AGM Interstate battery and never looked back. You should do your self a favor and not fret over the OEM and just replace the turkey with a good H8 AGM, mine cost installed around $250.00. The battery box is designed to hold the H8 but the OEM is probably an H7. My other issue with the OEM was that it was liquid acid not AGM. Battery now holds a nice charge even after sitting for several weeks.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
OEM battery from 2019, truck manufacture date was July 2019, battery probably month before that. Vehicle sat on the lot for a year, I bought it in August 2020 w/92 miles, less than 5 days later battery died the first time while at my handicap equipment installers shop. His charger indicated 'bad battery', Nyle Maxwell Castroville dealership service dept. said battery OK. It's been dead over a dozen times since at various intervals from 5 days to 7 months. Three dealerships blame it on my non -OEM equipment, Braun manufacture says stand-bye power draw only 0.8 Ma/hour.
JLeach
i wish you would have mentioned that the battery was from 2019 sooner
that is your issue!!!
get a new battery!

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
i wish you would have mentioned that the battery was from 2019 sooner
that is your issue!!!
get a new battery!
In the on going saga of this POS, I have mentioned it multiple times, and taken it to the dealership over and over and over with dead battery complaints. They test it, say it is good, or test it, it fails, they charge it two or three hours, test it again - and then say it is good. Thanks for the confirmation and support bigdodge.

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
I have a '10 cent' voltage meter I keep plugged into the cigarette lighter, it compares well with the dash reading when running. With the engine off in Acces. mode, with or without radio on, I can watch the voltage drop from 13.8 v engine running, to 12.5 v after shutting the engine off down to 11.3 v or less within 5 minutes.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
GET A NEW BATTERY!!!! Stay away from Optima. Their quality has gone to ****. Get a decent AGM battery. Most parts stores will have them in stock, and will even replace it for you

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Almost guaranteed a new battery will fix the issue.

Dealer was saying my battery was good too but AutoZone said otherwise. I was having very similar issues to yours (although much sooner, and mine is a 2019 too). New battery fixed it real quick.

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
GET A NEW BATTERY!!!! Stay away from Optima. Their quality has gone to ****. Get a decent AGM battery. Most parts stores will have them in stock, and will even replace it for you
Optima is the only one I have used during 20 years in the chair, sadden to hear they are turning into junk. I've only had issue with one set, which was purchased from a NAPA in Hondo, ( so a high dollar battery, from a high dollar NAPA, in a small agricultural town - where nobodies got that kind of extra cash). They dropped two new ones in with a fresher manufacture date, and I didn't have any more issues. What brand do you recommend HSKR R/T?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Optima is the only one I have used during 20 years in the chair, sadden to hear they are turning into junk. I've only had issue with one set, which was purchased from a NAPA in Hondo, ( so a high dollar battery, from a high dollar NAPA, in a small agricultural town - where nobodies got that kind of extra cash). They dropped two new ones in with a fresher manufacture date, and I didn't have any more issues. What brand do you recommend HSKR R/T?
It's been more than 20 years since Optima has started going downhill. They no longer carry the lifetime warranty, which should be your first clue.

As I said, any AGM battery from parts store will be better than Optima at this point. Carries the same warranty, and if you need to get it replaced, for whatever reason, it's an easier return going back to parts store.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There's only a few manufacturers that build all the branded batteries - to the specifications supplied by the brand.

There's only 3 US manufacturers of car batteries:
  • Johnson Controls (Clarios)
  • Exide
  • East Penn
Best Car Battery for 2022

You can research what brands they build.

Get one with the best/easiest warranty. I'm partial to Interstate. Best to spend up from the cheap brands/models.

If that battery sat for a year in extreme climate, without being used, it's crap.

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
OEM battery life seems to be an issue with a lot of batteries, not just on the Ram. I have a 2019 5.7 HEMI and had the battery die. It was the original H7 size and I replaced it at 17k with an H8 AGM Interstate battery and never looked back. You should do your self a favor and not fret over the OEM and just replace the turkey with a good H8 AGM, mine cost installed around $250.00. The battery box is designed to hold the H8 but the OEM is probably an H7. My other issue with the OEM was that it was liquid acid not AGM. Battery now holds a nice charge even after sitting for several weeks.
I have always liked Interstate! They were a hell of a battery back in the 70's, and except for the Sears Die Hard, one of the best longest lasting I ever installed. I've been using Optima Red Top for the last 20 yrs, but last bought one about 3 or 4 years ago. I hear they are now junk...... :(

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have any personal experience with the claim the Redtop are no longer great batteries. They were an early adopter of AGM. They're now owned/made by Johnson Controls (Clarios). They also make the Interstate and diehard batteries.

I put East Penn batteries in my 04.5 2500 after the OEM lasted 13 years (though only ~60K miles.) It did sit a lot and the OEM always started and never let me down until the last 6-12 months. The East Penn replacements were crap. Got a great vendor deal through a buddy that worked on ambulances, not worth it. I should have just bought the Interstate.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have any personal experience with the claim the Redtop are no longer great batteries. They were an early adopter of AGM. They're now owned/made by Johnson Controls (Clarios). They also make the Interstate and diehard batteries.

I put East Penn batteries in my 04.5 2500 after the OEM lasted 13 years (though only ~60K miles.) It did sit a lot and the OEM always started and never let me down until the last 6-12 months. The East Penn replacements were crap. Got a great vendor deal through a buddy that worked on ambulances, not worth it. I should have just bought the Interstate.
Optima used to have lifetime warranty. They don't anymore. In less than 10 years on my Dakota R/T, I went through two red tops and a blue top. They stopped holding a charge. The blue top was last straw hoping it would be better being a deep cycle battery.

Users who are viewing this thread