5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash Cam

Shadow24

Reaction score
I am going to be putting a dash cam in my truck this week. What are thoughts on using USB below the radio for power, or should I hard wire it? I don't want to tie up my only 12v power to a dash cam, I need it for other accessories.

Kyles

Reaction score
I am going to be putting a dash cam in my truck this week. What are thoughts on using USB below the radio for power, or should I hard wire it? I don't want to tie up my only 12v power to a dash cam, I need it for other accessories.
I used a fuse tap, fuse box located below the steering wheel. Remove two bolts (i think 7mm) and pull the panel off and it will be behind. I don’t remember what spot i tapped into but could give you that answer in the morning.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine (Ret.)
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's a very easy job to hard wire it with Micro2 fuse taps. F33 for constant power, F66 for ACC. See POST #471 in the link Georgf provided for pics.

BobK

Reaction score
I use a 12v splitter that is on a 3 cord. The splitter sits in the glove box (closes with the wire) and i can run whatever i want into it and its one wire runs up to the dash 12v. Not idea. But when you have multiple 12v plugs you do what you need to. :)
1619009920988.png

glasswagon

Reaction score
I plan on installing this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08QGFR...colid=2184O7UO06VQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Following the thread on adding the factory rearview camera/mirror led me to this. Same thing except it has built in DVR for front and rear camera! Someone also installed the rear camera into the Antenna fin and made it look seamless and factory. $500 cheaper then getting the 3rd brakelight, new mirror, etc. I'll just add LED bulbs that doesn't interfere with the fob later on.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If my memory serves me right... at least with my Viofo Duo, the truck will try to access the dash-cam as external USB drive, if connected to the ones below radio.

Reaction score
I got power from micro fuse F54 B (only powers when the ignition is on) and used a fuse adapter. 1619032710319.png

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hardwire for sure. Will ensure parking mode (where the camera is constantly on 24/7) can work while not draining your battery. Also makes it easier to hide wires.

sicpuppy

Reaction score
You may want to consider this.

Shadow24

Reaction score
You may want to consider this.
This looks cool. only if I had the extra $$$

Users who are viewing this thread