5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash cam recommendations

flyfingers

Reaction score
After reading another forum members recent post titled "Terrible Evening....", I'm find myself interested in purchasing a dash cam. Anybody have one that they like?
Thanks

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am on my third Dashcam. I currently use a dual camera Street Guardian.
1080P for both Cameras at a very good bit rate. Sony Exmor-R Sensors.

I will be ordering the updated model for the 2021 Laramie

I have a 400GB MicroSD card in it right now.

Went thru a FineVu before that, until the small internal battery failed.

I recieved a Fake GS5000 instead of the real one before the FineVu.

Malodave

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Haha...I started looking after reading that thread too. I ordered a cheapo from Amazon to test how I like it. No Idea if it's any good or not, but with a rating of 4.3 out of 5 from over 3500 reviewers, and costing less than $30, I figured I can't go wrong. It's basically a disposable camera LOL. Here's a link...

jth877

Reaction score
It seems there's good options over the $200 mark and some $30 cheapies. Anything in between that can be recommended?

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
I have installed a couple. My favorite is my Garmin 55. Lots of features and excellent recordings. Good interaction with your mobile device as well.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It seems there's good options over the $200 mark and some $30 cheapies. Anything in between that can be recommended?
I highly recommend Viofo A129 Duo with a hardwire kit. The A129 Duo is a 1080p front and rear camera system; it has dropped significantly in price since Viofo released the Duo Pro in 4k. I have been running my A129 Duo trouble free for well over a year. Even in the Florida heat I have had zero problems. I'm actually getting ready to buy Viofos for every car in our family. When it comes to camera systems, you want one that is going to be "set it and forget it" and that will work every time. The Viofo has been rock soild reliable and produces great images and video.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Take this from a guy who knows all of the dash cams extremely well and has been installing electronics in cars for over 30 years. My recommendation for an awesome budget dash cam is the VOIFO A129 PLUS or PRO. If you want to spend a bit more to get a higher-end camera, look at the Blackvue and Thinkware. Don't buy any crap off Amazon...look at www.thedashcamstore.com and www.blackboxmycar.com Great source for cameras and research too!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread