5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash and infotainment dimming

kuba

Reaction score
Curious to see if this is just poor design, or I have an issue.

I use the auto headlights option, and it seems the headlights are pretty aggressive to turn on, for example in cloudy daylight.
That is fine, but the annoying part is that it always seems to trigger my dash to dim into night mode.
It makes the dash nearly impossible to see unless I scroll the little wheel( by head light control) all the way up past the click.
I find myself constantly scrolling this thing...

In my previous Jeep, when the dash brightness is set to auto in the infotainment system, like I have now, even if the headlights turned on, there was a separate sensor for the dash, and it required significant more darkness to activate compared to headlights. So at dusk, headlights we're on, but dash was on daytime mode.

There is a pin hole in the top mid-right( above the speedo screen) portion of the 1500's dash that I figured is possibly a senor?

I have the 12 inch screen.
Curious if 8.4 uconnect people also have this issue? My previous Jeep had the 8.4.

firebird9919

Reaction score
Curious to see if this is just poor design, or I have an issue.

I use the auto headlights option, and it seems the headlights are pretty aggressive to turn on, for example in cloudy daylight.
That is fine, but the annoying part is that it always seems to trigger my dash to dim into night mode.
It makes the dash nearly impossible to see unless I scroll the little wheel( by head light control) all the way up past the click.
I find myself constantly scrolling this thing...

In my previous Jeep, when the dash brightness is set to auto in the infotainment system, like I have now, even if the headlights turned on, there was a separate sensor for the dash, and it required significant more darkness to activate compared to headlights. So at dusk, headlights we're on, but dash was on daytime mode.

There is a pin hole in the top mid-right( above the speedo screen) portion of the 1500's dash that I figured is possibly a senor?

I have the 12 inch screen.
Curious if 8.4 uconnect people also have this issue? My previous Jeep had the 8.4.
Funny you posted this. I was just driving my truck yesterday and it started to rain so I turned the windshield wipers on which turns on the head lights. After the lights turned on my dash lights all dimmed. Pretty annoying had to do the same as you. I do have the 8.4" screen.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Damion

Reaction score
Yep stupid design flaw. The wife’s grand Cherokee works the same as the op said his Jeep worked. Much better system having 2 sensors

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree. My Charger can turn on the headlights with the wipers without dimming the dash lights when needed. My Ram & my wife's new Cherokee can't and it's annoying.

Konrad

Reaction score
Yep, known issue (and a hopeless design flaw IMHO). Makes you wonder how such f*ck-up could make it to production, with all this "rigorous multi-million miles testing on all continents" always advertised with new car / truck models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I thought you could turn the dimming with headlights off in the infotainment system ?

shurik74

Reaction score
Running into the same problem with shade parking lots and clouds or driving under the bridge make headlights go on and dark mode my dashboard.

Wondering if someone found any solutions?

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Settings, display, brightness. I think I set mine at like 7 or 8 and and it stays visible whne the auto lights come on.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I mean... What did you expect? It's a simple sensor, It's dark out - Night, It's bright out - Day.
We got to a point that even these things that are to make our life easier just a little bit, are not enough.
Just scroll the switch if it stays like that for a few minutes because it's dark where you are and you can't see the info on the dash.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean... What did you expect? It's a simple sensor, It's dark out - Night, It's bright out - Day.
We got to a point that even these things that are to make our life easier just a little bit, are not enough.
Just scroll the switch if it stays like that for a few minutes because it's dark where you are and you can't see the info on the dash.
If you run your truck in the Auto position like a lot of us do the lights go on and off all the time with clouds, shade from trees etc....during the day so it's still quite light out. When the dash lighting switches to night in the middle of the day, you cant see your dash or radio. The 12" radio can be fixed by following my instructions above....I cant remember if that setting also fixes the dash. It happens often enough so that adjusting the dimmer switch isnt practical. You can also lock the dimmer on full but then you'll need to lower it manually at night.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
If you run your truck in the Auto position like a lot of us do the lights go on and off all the time with clouds, shade from trees etc....during the day so it's still quite light out. When the dash lighting switches to night in the middle of the day, you cant see your dash or radio. The 12" radio can be fixed by following my instructions above....I cant remember if that setting also fixes the dash. It happens often enough so that adjusting the dimmer switch isnt practical. You can also lock the dimmer on full but then you'll need to lower it manually at night.
I like it when it's locked on full, i don't mind the brightness.
Also, Even when it's dialed down, I don't notice it here in AZ, It doesn't get cloudy that often ;)

RamCares

Reaction score
Running into the same problem with shade parking lots and clouds or driving under the bridge make headlights go on and dark mode my dashboard.

Wondering if someone found any solutions?

We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
RamCares

DMC

Reaction score
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
RamCares
I have the same issue as well. The dealer replaced the light sensor but it still does the same thing. Its not every day. Might be just certain conditions triggering it. Wish it would be fixed.

RamCares

Reaction score
I have the same issue as well. The dealer replaced the light sensor but it still does the same thing. Its not every day. Might be just certain conditions triggering it. Wish it would be fixed.

I'm very sorry to hear this. Have you had a case open for this concern? If not, I would be happy to help! Please send us a private message.

Alison
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/