5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damaged XM Shark Fin Antenna on 2019 1500 - Tips on Replacing?

TPaone12

Reaction score
New 1500 owner here that learned the hard way the XM shark fin antenna is about 3" higher than the roofline. Drove under a carport and completely crushed the antenna and snapped it off the vehicle. I purchased the new OEM part for about $100 and now looking for any insight on here as to the steps to replace. I've seen a post or two from earlier model Rams that say the headliner needs to be pulled down, etc.... Trying to determine if this is something I can do myself. Dealer quoted 4-6 hours of labor at $120/hr just to snap in a couple of wires and attach to the roof.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Sucks, might I ask what was the maximum height of the car port? I have a garage at work that said 6'2" but I have seen enough trucks parked in there to not worry too much about it - maybe I should?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New 1500 owner here that learned the hard way the XM shark fin antenna is about 3" higher than the roofline. Drove under a carport and completely crushed the antenna and snapped it off the vehicle. I purchased the new OEM part for about $100 and now looking for any insight on here as to the steps to replace. I've seen a post or two from earlier model Rams that say the headliner needs to be pulled down, etc.... Trying to determine if this is something I can do myself. Dealer quoted 4-6 hours of labor at $120/hr just to snap in a couple of wires and attach to the roof.

Not sure about full replacement, but I'd at least try going through the roof cutouts where the third brake light/cargo light is. 4 phillips screws and it pops right out. I can see it taking longer overall to do the replacement through that opening but it could save you from messing with the headliner.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you busted the antenna off, you've pretty much guaranteed you bent the roof. If it were mine, it would be at my local bodyshop for repair. Last thing I would want is the potential water leak.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
... If it were mine, it would be at my local bodyshop for repair. Last thing I would want is the potential water leak.
I agree with Jus Cruising. This is a body shop repair, not a dealer replacement. Get two or three estimates.

TPaone12

Reaction score
Not sure about full replacement, but I'd at least try going through the roof cutouts where the third brake light/cargo light is. 4 phillips screws and it pops right out. I can see it taking longer overall to do the replacement through that opening but it could save you from messing with the headliner.
Thanks for the suggestion. Had not thought of accessing the antenna from that opening.

TPaone12

Reaction score
Sucks, might I ask what was the maximum height of the car port? I have a garage at work that said 6'2" but I have seen enough trucks parked in there to not worry too much about it - maybe I should?
The car port opening was measured at 6' 4.5". Based on the mark on the antenna I'd say minimum clearance is likely 6.6" but I'd double check.

TPaone12

Reaction score
If you busted the antenna off, you've pretty much guaranteed you bent the roof. If it were mine, it would be at my local bodyshop for repair. Last thing I would want is the potential water leak.
You're right, the roof did bend slightly. I was able to use a suction dent puller to bring it back to level for now but may still need some additional work. The seal under the antenna appears to still be secure and keeping water out but will definitely have it looked at to confirm before I replace with new.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
The car port opening was measured at 6' 4.5". Based on the mark on the antenna I'd say minimum clearance is likely 6.6" but I'd double check.
So you have air suspension and if so did you lower it to entry/exit mode? I'm trying to figure out what I can get away with in my carport...

TPaone12

Reaction score
So you have air suspension and if so did you lower it to entry/exit mode? I'm trying to figure out what I can get away with in my carport...
I don't have air suspension on my Ram. It's a 2019 Bighorn w sport package. Standard ride height, no lift.

Rocket2ya

Reaction score
Any update if you can access this from the 3rd brake light opening? About to vinyl wrap my roof and not really trying to mess with dropping the headliner

Neokane

Reaction score
I had fears of this in a parking garage... I quickly lowered the air suspension to entry/exit and still proceeded with caution... Sunshade open to monitor the situation!

Patpenrod

Reaction score
I just did the same thing to my 2 week old Ram. I have the air suspension and forgot to lower it into entry/Exit mode before pulling in the garage. I didn't do any roof damage, but the shark fin antenna didn't fare so well. Fortunately it only cracked and stayed in 1 piece so I just siliconed it to seal out the weather and am keeping my fingers crossed I don't do it again. Still kills me that it happened to a brand new truck though!

clazer

Reaction score
Is anyone aware of a low profile replacement or possibly a relocation kit? The location on the heavy duties makes much better sense- up front where it’s lower.

19ramsport

Reaction score
For the 4x4 crew cab, it says the truck height is 77.6 inches. Does that include the sharkfin antenna or not? If not, how much to add for sharkfin clearance? (I don't have the truck yet but want to confirm it will fit in my garage opening).

EDIT - seems like the 77.6 inches does include the sharkfin antenna. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Last edited:

clazer

Reaction score
For the 4x4 crew cab, it says the truck height is 77.6 inches. Does that include the sharkfin antenna or not? If not, how much to add for sharkfin clearance? (I don't have the truck yet but want to confirm it will fit in my garage opening).

EDIT - seems like the 77.6 inches does include the sharkfin antenna. Correct me if I'm wrong?

It looks like you are correct. I measured my Rebel with air ride in Normal mode last night. 79” to top of fin. The fin is 3” tall, but only about 2.5” of that sticks above the roof with the way it curves.

Moels10

Reaction score
The shark fin is denying me entry to my garage. I am wondering if there is a flat or puck style replacement and if you can access from the 3rd brake light area as someone suggested in this thread. I was thinking of checking the junkyard for an older puck, I would lose a little functionality from what I've read but I'd like to park in the garage. ;)

clazer

Reaction score
The shark fin is denying me entry to my garage. I am wondering if there is a flat or puck style replacement and if you can access from the 3rd brake light area as someone suggested in this thread. I was thinking of checking the junkyard for an older puck, I would lose a little functionality from what I've read but I'd like to park in the garage. ;)

Really curious of what you find. The dealer told me there was no option but I am not sure that I believe them.

ant0064

Reaction score

Just did this tonight! But didnt snap it off, just hit it hard enough to pull up a bit. Where did you buy the new part? And did you ever fix it?

BadAspSVT

Reaction score
Came on here just to find answers to this problem. Bought my limited yesterday and came to work today to face my parking garage. Went until it said 6’6 clearance ahead. My question is wouldn’t the max height depend on wheel and tire options? I have the 22”

Users who are viewing this thread