5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damaged wheel, repaired wrong color. What to do?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had a damaged wheel last month and it got re-finished and powder coated 3 times but they were unable to match the color.

I purchased the tire\wheel warranty which includes cosmetic damage from Mark Dodge but the company is refusing to do anything and said it's been fixed, it's not their problem if it does't match.
The refinishing company said there is nothing more they can do. They can't get a proper match for the color (and I believe them as the actual paint job and damage repair was A+ quality work).

They are trying to get the warranty company to just buy a replacement wheel which is around $900, $1300 MSRP but they arent not buding. He thinks he can make them allow him to repaint the other 3 wheels and all be the same color.

I originally wanted to keep the same paint, but at this point i'm wondering if I should just let him repaint all 4 wheels solid black.
The shop will do any color I want via powdercoat, but my truck is all black except for some red accidents so I would assume just do it a dark black.
This is the shop for reference. Home - Wheel Repair and Rim Repair Service - Best Rim Repair Service

What are peoples thoughts?

Original damage (first on the left, second on the right LOL)

1677533350737.jpeg 1677533280306.jpeg

Repaired wheel
1677533431635.jpeg
Other side of truck with OEM wheel
1677533446365.jpeg

Side by side, unmounted is reparied wheel.
Color is hard to tell in picture, it is lighter and has a brown\greenish hue
1677533516805.png

Last edited:

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1) learn to drive lol

2) remove red lug caps

3) I would just get the other 3 powdercoated to match if the companies having a hard time getting the match.. but I could of sworn the stock wheels are painted not powdercoated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a damaged wheel last month and it got re-finished and powder coated 3 times but they were unable to match the color.

I purchased the tire\wheel warranty which includes comedic damage from Mark Dodge but the company is refusing to do anything and said it's been fixed, it's not their problem if it does't match.
The refinishing company said there is nothing more they can do. They can't get a proper match for the color (and I believe them as the actual paint job and damage repair was A+ quality work).

They are trying to get the warranty company to just buy a replacement wheel which is around $900, $1300 MSRP but they arent not buding. He thinks he can make them allow him to repaint the other 3 wheels and all be the same color.

I originally wanted to keep the same paint, but at this point i'm wondering if I should just let him repaint all 4 wheels solid black.
The shop will do any color I want via powdercoat, but my truck is all black except for some red accidents so I would assume just do it a dark black.
This is the shop for reference. Home - Wheel Repair and Rim Repair Service - Best Rim Repair Service

View attachment 153201 View attachment 153200

Repaired wheel
View attachment 153202
View attachment 153203

View attachment 153204
Was the option to re-paint or re-powder coat?
I'd just push to make them all match by powder coat. It sounds like they might make your other three wheels match the repaired wheel.
That would be acceptable to me.

That comedic damage sounds like some funny stuff! 🤣

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Was the option to re-paint or re-powder coat?
I'd just push to make them all match by powder coat. It sounds like they might make your other three wheels match the repaired wheel.
That would be acceptable to me.

That comedic damage sounds like some funny stuff! 🤣
The company only does powder coat, they don't do paint.
They are willing do re-do the main wheel, and match the other 3 to whatever color I choose.

1) learn to drive lol

2) remove red lug caps

3) I would just get the other 3 powdercoated to match if the companies having a hard time getting the match.. but I could of sworn the stock wheels are painted not powdercoated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
An 18 wheeler hit me while I was stopped in traffic on the on-ramp but ok.
Also the red matches the other parts of my truck and looks good. A million times better then the chrome lug nuts it came with.
1677536030326.jpeg

Av1

Reaction score
That color mismatch wouldn't be acceptable to me either.

I'd probably just buy a matching used one off ebay from santaanawheel and be done with it. It would be a perfect factory match.

The mismatched repaired wheel would become my spare.

I wouldn't even mess with the powdercoat place anymore.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That color mismatch wouldn't be acceptable to me either.

I'd probably just buy a matching used one off ebay from santaanawheel and be done with it. It would be a perfect factory match.

The mismatched repaired wheel would become my spare.

I wouldn't even mess with the powdercoat place anymore.
Been trying to find a used one, it's really hard around here. Been stalking this website, Facebook marketplace, and craigslist. I can buy a new one for $760 shipped, and like $5 for a valve stem. I already bought a new tire to put on the "spare" if I go that route. Got it on sale form Walmart for a steal (can return if I don't use). This is the part number I got from my local dealership 5YD62RNWAB.

Really sucks I got that wheel warranty from Mark Dodge, but they can't get the wheels to the correct color and they blame it on the truck. Like they had my vin number when I was sold the plan :-/

I have 1 last contact I can try but i'm going on almost 2 months now.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I purchased the tire\wheel warranty which includes cosmetic damage from Mark Dodge but the company is refusing to do anything and said it's been fixed, it's not their problem if it does't match.

Repaired wheel
View attachment 153202
View attachment 153203

View attachment 153204
I would get the other three costed to match the repaired wheel. I'd also consider coming out of pocket some for a custom two tone color on the wheels. Since you have red accents do this part of the wheel red
Screenshot_20230227-200805.png

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would get the other three costed to match the repaired wheel. I'd also consider coming out of pocket some for a custom two tone color on the wheels. Since you have red accents do this part of the wheel red
View attachment 153230
Not a bad idea.
I'm trying to picture it in my head, and I just wonder if it's going to be too much red

These are the non-night edition wheels in 2 tone bronze. Maybe if I could find a dark enough red, and change to black lugs. I don't want it to look super cheesy, but If i'm going to get all of them powder coated, may as well do something cool.
1677552103228.png

Av1

Reaction score
If you decide to have them powdercoat the other 3 wheels as per their offer, that might be your cheapest option.

If you decide to replace it with a factory finished one, here is a link for a "A- condition" used one.

I bought my spare from them with the same condition grade, and it looked great.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you decide to have them powdercoat the other 3 wheels as per their offer, that might be your cheapest option.

If you decide to replace it with a factory finished one, here is a link for a "A- condition" used one.

I bought my spare from them with the same condition grade, and it looked great.
I'm not too concerned about the price, just want to get it right.

Weird I never found that when I looked several times. I even explicitly searched ebay.

Looking at the pictures it's all scratched up, I wouldn't want to put that on but would be a good spare.
I will need to look through the seller, and maybe call them to see if they have any mint condition wheels. Thanks for the info.
1677554737080.png 1677554769425.png

Reactions: Av1

Lungs414

Reaction score
Is the warranty a Mopar road hazard ? Or a Mark Dodge warranty ?

jit11375

Reaction score
I’d stick with a nice matching black powder coat for all wheels. If you plan on curbing then again, that way they won’t have issues matching next time, and your warranty won’t be a waste of money moving forward. If you’re curbing your wheels that bad, I’m sure you’re gonna damage a couple tires too. LOL, I play I play, but seriously.

Get everything powder coated a nice black, and drive it like you stole it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is the warranty a Mopar road hazard ? Or a Mark Dodge warranty ?
It was from Mark Dodge. The company they used is Safe Guard. It is suppose to cover road hazard for tires and cosmetic damage for wheels.
I’d stick with a nice matching black powder coat for all wheels. If you plan on curbing then again, that way they won’t have issues matching next time, and your warranty won’t be a waste of money moving forward. If you’re curbing your wheels that bad, I’m sure you’re gonna damage a couple tires too. LOL, I play I play, but seriously.

Get everything powder coated a nice black, and drive it like you stole it.
I never had a problem in the 4 years I had my Silverado (18 inch wheels). I did have a minor scruff through a drive through the second week I had this truck, but this damage wasn't caused by me.
My Camaro with 20s (might of been 22s I forget) I never hit either.

Good idea on changing the paint so it can get fixed easy in the future too, didn't think of that.

An 18 wheeler went into me on a 1 line on ramp to the highway while I was stopped in traffic luckily only hit my front right rim and nothing else. It was a hit and run and I took pictures of him (because we were all stopped in rush hour) while yelling at him to pull over and stop but the police in RI refused to even write a police report that I called.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Repaired wheel
View attachment 153202
View attachment 153203

View attachment 153204
i would not be happy either

likr other have said, you could get the other 3 to match

or

go to a different mag repair shop and ask themnif they would be able to paint the fix wheel to match... its probably less expensive then buying a use wheel, then decide if you prefere the original color or the new one

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My buddy's wife recently got side swapped in her Charger. They had to replace one wheel. Once on the car they realized it was a slightly different color. Insurance paid for a perfect match paint on the other 3.

Regardless of who pays, that's probably your only option, or new 18's with 35's.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is that the same color that they use on the Built To Serve wheels?

I bought a set of BTS wheels from a guy locally and even though he told me they were all flawless, I realized later that one of them had curb rash. I cleaned the area good, taped it off with blue painter's tape, and used Rustoleum "Soft Iron" color spray paint holding the can at a distance and lightly coating it two or three times. It matches so well that you can't tell the wheel was ever damaged unless you're purposefully looking for it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is that the same color that they use on the Built To Serve wheels?

I bought a set of BTS wheels from a guy locally and even though he told me they were all flawless, I realized later that one of them had curb rash. I cleaned the area good, taped it off with blue painter's tape, and used Rustoleum "Soft Iron" color spray paint holding the can at a distance and lightly coating it two or three times. It matches so well that you can't tell the wheel was ever damaged unless you're purposefully looking for it.
It's the 22" Limited night edition wheels.
There are a differnet 22"s for night edition Laramie.

Not sure about BTS, but i'm going to assume it is differnet as the Laramie is differnet also (in color and style).
This is a link to the color code
PNW Black Noise 68423870AA

My buddy's wife recently got side swapped in her Charger. They had to replace one wheel. Once on the car they realized it was a slightly different color. Insurance paid for a perfect match paint on the other 3.

Regardless of who pays, that's probably your only option, or new 18's with 35's.
I'm clueless when it comes to wheels\tires fitments. I would consider getting all 18s, but I wouldn't know what would fit similar to OEM as far . I also don't want AT tires, I want all season highway tires only, which I don't think you can get in 35s?

I don't think I would really want to spend more then $2500 which would be hard to do for wheels and tires I think, when it comes to 35s. Those things are expensive!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Update:
I was just told this after I provided them the link to the Mopar paint and said my paint for the wheels are PWN Black Noise. I also said I don't believe a powder coat could match the factory color as you can't mix powder coats but you can mix paint.

"I was able to find the paint, I can order it but it will not be able to be powder cleared so I will need liquid clear and air dry for a full day, so if we schedule for next week I will need the wheel and a sample, for 2 days."

I would be without my truck for another 2 days but at this point I kind of figure what do I have to lose?
I already bought a new tire to use use the old wheel as a spare regardless of the color match(with a new tire) and spend the $800 on a new OEM rim. I got the Pirelli tire super cheap at $250 (normally sells for around $315+).
I'm going to let them try.

Users who are viewing this thread