5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damaged wheel, repaired wrong color. What to do?

Paulie T

Reaction score
I wouldn’t accept and would want them all powercoated the same. Would prefer powder coat over paint.

I wouldn’t be too happy with the wheel that was powdercoated 3 times though. I had something like this happen years ago. Wheels were black and wife scuffed a wheel. They powder coated it 3 times as they were getting orange peel. 4th time was a charm. That wheel got bent. No other wheel had any issues. Not sure if it was due to the being baked that many times or just a fluke

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t accept and would want them all powercoated the same. Would prefer powder coat over paint.

I wouldn’t be too happy with the wheel that was powdercoated 3 times though. I had something like this happen years ago. Wheels were black and wife scuffed a wheel. They powder coated it 3 times as they were getting orange peel. 4th time was a charm. That wheel got bent. No other wheel had any issues. Not sure if it was due to the being baked that many times or just a fluke
Good info.

At this point it's already been baked 3 times.
This last time they are using paint not powdercoat, they claimed to be able to get the correct OEM paint, so they are going to keep the wheel a few days.

I have a pretty bad vibration, I think it's just because they did a bad job at balancing the tire at the repair shop, after it's doing i'm going to get it done at a shop with a hunter road force balancer.
How did you know\see it was bent? Or did you mean it got bent after it was repaired\weakened?

Paulie T

Reaction score
Good info.

At this point it's already been baked 3 times.
This last time they are using paint not powdercoat, they claimed to be able to get the correct OEM paint, so they are going to keep the wheel a few days.

I have a pretty bad vibration, I think it's just because they did a bad job at balancing the tire at the repair shop, after it's doing i'm going to get it done at a shop with a hunter road force balancer.
How did you know\see it was bent? Or did you mean it got bent after it was repaired\weakened?

No it got bent after and I feel it was weakened. But I can’t prove that.

I can tell you also I use to be a stunt man on street bikes and had bought a front wheel that was powercoated. It ended up with about 8-10 cracks around the wheel. No huge cracks but enough to where the wheel wouldn’t hold air. Yes the bike took a ton of abuse. But I never had any other wheel do this before or after. This was the only one that was powder coated after production though.

I am in no way bashing powder coating I actually love it. I think just have to be careful with what you get don’t and the amount of times

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No it got bent after and I feel it was weakened. But I can’t prove that.

I can tell you also I use to be a stunt man on street bikes and had bought a front wheel that was powercoated. It ended up with about 8-10 cracks around the wheel. No huge cracks but enough to where the wheel wouldn’t hold air. Yes the bike took a ton of abuse. But I never had any other wheel do this before or after. This was the only one that was powder coated after production though.

I am in no way bashing powder coating I actually love it. I think just have to be careful with what you get don’t and the amount of times
I know you aren't bashing it's good info.

A quick Google search shows that there are proper ways to bake them and incorrect ones. Even the correct way can cause slight weakening but the worse shops can really screw it up.
I guess it has to do with the baking temp and how long it is baking for.
The fact they were already baked 3 times could be concerning, but if they did it right it would "probably be okay".

At this point it's too late for me to inquire how they do it.
I put around 1500 miles on the wheel so far since it was last powdercoated I think. When I take it off and leave my truck jacked up for a few days waiting to get my 2 wheels back ill inspect and see if there is any damage, there wasn't when I put it on (or it was covered up)

I checked their website Home - Wheel Repair and Rim Repair Service - Best Rim Repair Service and it shows they do paint and not just powder coat, I wonder why the hell the claim company just told them to powder coat, maybe cost? Lack of knowledge? I could of just given them the original paint code PNW that they claim to be able to get from a local paint supplier.

Lungs414

Reaction score
I may have considered powder coating a second wheel and leaving them both on one side of the truck. No one would ever know they were different from one side to the other.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I may have considered powder coating a second wheel and leaving them both on one side of the truck. No one would ever know they were different from one side to the other.
That would be okay until it came time for tire rotation, unless you aren't following the rearward cross and just go front to back

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That would be okay until it came time for tire rotation, unless you aren't following the rearward cross and just go front to back
I don't rotate tires. No point with the way I drive and vehicle I have owned.

The well is going in for a repainting next Thursday and hopefully comes back perfect in a few days.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's impressive, every 5-10k for me
I mean there is nothing wrong with it.
But driving other cars\trucks some I can't even rotate per manufacture specs, staggered tire size, etc.
I seem to get way more miles on tires then the typical person for some reason idk why but I aint complaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online