5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CV, ball joint and tie rod angles.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For anyone looking to level their truck I have taken some photos of the crucial components and what the angles look like at various heights. The truck right now is a completely stock 4x4 without the offroad package or any other factory lift. I added photos showing the everything at full droop, after leveling if you have angles that look similar to the full droop photos you got some serious issues ahead. Hopefully this is helpful for anyone getting ready to do a level. I can see why you want to replace the upper control arm for even as little as a 2 inch.

Attachments

• CV 2.5 inch lvl.jpg
    CV 2.5 inch lvl.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 408
  • CV 3 inch lvl.jpg
    CV 3 inch lvl.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 389
  • CV 3.5 inch lvl.jpg
    CV 3.5 inch lvl.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 381
  • CV full droop.jpg
    CV full droop.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 394
  • CV stock.jpg
    CV stock.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 378
  • Tie rod 2.5 inch lvl.jpg
    Tie rod 2.5 inch lvl.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 373
  • Tie rod 3 inch lvl.jpg
    Tie rod 3 inch lvl.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 355
  • Tie rod 3.5 inch lvl.jpg
    Tie rod 3.5 inch lvl.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 353
  • Tie rod full droop.jpg
    Tie rod full droop.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 362
  • Tie rod stock.jpg
    Tie rod stock.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
too many photos for one post here are the upper ball joints

Attachments

• UBJ 2.5 inch lvl.jpg
    UBJ 2.5 inch lvl.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 277
  • UBJ 3 inch lvl.jpg
    UBJ 3 inch lvl.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 269
  • UBJ 3.5 inch lvl.jpg
    UBJ 3.5 inch lvl.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 266
  • UBJ full droop.jpg
    UBJ full droop.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 280
  • UBJ stock.jpg
    UBJ stock.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 266

Art

Reaction score
Great write up with pictures, But most people do not understand the problems when there are lifting or changing wheel offsets or back spacing they just ***** when stuff breaks. Hope some people will learn from this writeup.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great info! The ubj really scares me. They all are scary tho

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great info! The ubj really scares me. They all are scary tho
Yeah, keep in mind these are the base factory arms and not the ones that come with the 2" Mopar lift. I would imagine the angle is better on the other Mopar arms and pretty good on the readylift arms. I'm just not a fan poly urethane bushings on control arms you have grease them every three months or they squeak and poly is what almost every UCA manufacture uses and they just *** grease zerks to keep them quiet. Rough Country uses the clevite bushings but the quality of the rest of the arm isn't up to snuff. RC does make a forged arm for the 2014-2018 GM twins hopefully they do something similar for the new ram. Short of changing the knuckle the tie rod angle is what it is. While I was under there checking everything out I looked at what it would take to do a front diff drop and unfortunately you can pick up more than a 1/2" without cutting the frame where the cross member bolts in and it would also likely require some drop brackets for the sway bar to clear the front drive shaft if you start dropping the diff to far. Ram also used a bracket that ties the front diff to the motor and to the transmission so maintaining this connection would be tricky as well. Not impossible but everything is connected by some weird angles. needless to say if you went this route and had some front end issues the dealer would not warranty any of it. Next step is to order up the Mopar arms from the 2 inch lift package and take some photos of the upper BJ angle to determine maximum lift without compromising design.

for anyone reading this looking for the different UCA's. If someone with the offroad package, rebel or air ride equipped truck is reading this I'd be interested to know if these are the arms that come on these trucks from the factory. The part number is cast into the arm on the under side near the ball joint.

Right side p/n 68323530AA
Left side p/n 68323531AA

Attachments

• UCA part number.jpg
    UCA part number.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 147

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I checked with my parts guy to see if I can get that for you on the UCA. I'll let you know.

I can understand why there are speed limiters on the air ride suspension that reduce OR1 above 50 mph and OR2 above 25 mph. This is probably why I have been hesitant to play with the leveling links on my air ride.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Billet1500 4x4 My parts guy said the Laramie and Rebel have the same upper control arms. The part numbers you typed are different from your picture. The part number in your picture matches what my parts guy sent to me. The diagram below has both air ride and regular strut Laramie front suspension.jpg front suspension - Rebel.jpg

Last edited:

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Billet1500 4x4 My parts guy said the Laramie and Rebel have the same upper control arms. The part numbers you typed are different from your picture. The part number in your picture matches what my parts guy sent to me. The diagram below has both air ride and regular strut View attachment 5659 View attachment 5660
It would seem the UCA from the 2" Mopar kit is not used on any factory suspension set up. Makes a good case for upgrading your arms and doing some trickery to put a spacer on the air spring and lower down the sensor to make it think its in normal mode. That way you get the advantage of a level without the stiffer ride from offroad 2. I would imagine offroad 2 would be a bad idea in this scenario. almost 4-1/2" of lift at that point all angles are going to be pretty bad.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would seem the UCA from the 2" Mopar kit is not used on any factory suspension set up. Makes a good case for upgrading your arms and doing some trickery to put a spacer on the air spring and lower down the sensor to make it think its in normal mode. That way you get the advantage of a level without the stiffer ride from offroad 2. I would imagine offroad 2 would be a bad idea in this scenario. almost 4-1/2" of lift at that point all angles are going to be pretty bad.

Egg Zachary!

Just found out that the Mopar 2” lift uca can be purchased separately. I was quoted $120 for the pair.

If someone can take a pic of the uca from the Mopar 2” kit that would be great! Online pics seem to show a ball socket stud in the uca that would be for the air ride leveling link.

Yup spacer should work since it looks like strut mount is the same. I have parts to make my own leveling links for the sensor.

Good stuff!

Last edited:

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, looking at the pictures, it would seem the Readylift 3.5" is a bad idea? The angles are nearly as bad as full droop.

kmck94

Reaction score
For anyone looking to level their truck I have taken some photos of the crucial components and what the angles look like at various heights. The truck right now is a completely stock 4x4 without the offroad package or any other factory lift. I added photos showing the everything at full droop, after leveling if you have angles that look similar to the full droop photos you got some serious issues ahead. Hopefully this is helpful for anyone getting ready to do a level. I can see why you want to replace the upper control arm for even as little as a 2 inch.

I have to disagree with you on the needing another upper control arm for as little as a 2inch level. Here are the pictures with a 2 inch level on my 19 Ram. Looks almost the same as the stock angle.

Attachments

• 3D7772C0-6FB2-447E-B846-9EF7412D8B10.jpeg
    3D7772C0-6FB2-447E-B846-9EF7412D8B10.jpeg
    796.4 KB · Views: 240
  • F3BDD933-3F83-4DC6-9722-081CF7AA7239.jpeg
    F3BDD933-3F83-4DC6-9722-081CF7AA7239.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 238

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you on the needing another upper control arm for as little as a 2inch level. Here are the pictures with a 2 inch level on my 19 Ram. Looks almost the same as the stock angle.
I agree those are not bad at all, what kind of level kit did you go with? Did you get before and after measurements to see how much lift was actually obtained?

kmck94

Reaction score
I agree those are not bad at all, what kind of level kit did you go with? Did you get before and after measurements to see how much lift was actually obtained?

I went with supreme suspension. I measured before and after and it was just a tad under a 2 inches. Went from 36inches to 38 in the front. It was a top mount strut extension.

David5.7

Reaction score
Do you have the off road package?

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went with supreme suspension. I measured before and after and it was just a tad under a 2 inches. Went from 36inches to 38 in the front. It was a top mount strut extension.
The picture I took of the angles at 2.5 " was starting at 36.5" and lifting it to 39". Explains why your angles looked much better with your 2 inch, about an inch difference. starting height will make a big difference on the finished product. A friend of mine had an identical truck to my last one we bought them a few months apart, we both put on the exact same leveling kit my truck was 1/2" higher in the front than the rear, his truck still had about an 1 inch of rake with the rear higher.

Texas415

Reaction score
I might be getting confused, and let me know if I am wrong... If you can purchase the Mopar 2 inch lift UCAs (just the UCAs) for around $100 for the pair plus go out and buy for example a Motofab strut extension for $75. That $175 is not even in the same ball park as the full Mopar 2 inch kit valued over $1,000. Why wouldn’t every one just do the $175 option that is cheaper than the Mopar full kit, Ready Lift, and other brands with aftermarket UCAs?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I might be getting confused, and let me know if I am wrong... If you can purchase the Mopar 2 inch lift UCAs (just the UCAs) for around $100 for the pair plus go out and buy for example a Motofab strut extension for $75. That $175 is not even in the same ball park as the full Mopar 2 inch kit valued over $1,000. Why wouldn’t every one just do the $175 option that is cheaper than the Mopar full kit, Ready Lift, and other brands with aftermarket UCAs?

Many people want to keep their truck all OEM parts, the Mopar lift gives them this option. Others fear anything else will cause issues with warranty down the line and don't want the headache if something fails. Others will never let anybody other than the dealer touch the truck, and many dealers will not install any other aftermarket parts.

Multiple reasons in the end, and yes I agree that the Mopar 2" lift is highway robbery, but peace of mind has a price. You could very well order the UCAs out of the lift and add a spacer to level the front end and would be just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread