5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom seat covers. Clazzio, Coverking, something else?

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had leather in my trucks and Jeeps since 2014, until now. I bought my Ram with cloth seats thinking they'd be a little more comfortable in the hot/cold. Turns out there's not really a difference in hot/cold, but the cloth is harder to clean. I also like the look of leather better so now it's time to change.
I've looked at a lot of options, including Katzkin which I considered strongly for a while. I'm not interested in a $1500-$2000 upholstery replacement and I don't want to do the install myself because you've got to cut some stuff and I don't like that. Therefore we can skip the Katzkin suggestions. Thanks, but no thanks.

Currently, I'm looking at are Clazzio and Coverking, but I'm open to other suggestions. I looked at the Mopar covers but they don't cover the sides, and that seemed cheap to me.
I saw a member hear who has/had Clazzio and they looked really nice. Coverking are about the same price with both coming in around $500 for single color or $600 for 2 tone. Has anyone had an opportunity to compare the two? Anything that would make one a better choice than the other? Pros/Cons of either? For that last question, I'm talking about cover vs cover, not cover vs replacement.
I can't seem to find any photos of either of them in 2 tone on the 5th gen Ram, and very few with a single color. If you've got photos I'd love to see them.
Once I decide on a set and get them installed, I'll post some photos. In the mean time, lets hear what you all have to say.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know you said you don't want to hear about katskinz as a suggestion, but I'm only going to say this. You likely saved more than $2k by going with a Big Horn over something with leather. So you'd just be putting some of that savings towards leather seats. I've had Coverking seat covers in a previous truck. They were pretty nice for seat covers. But no seat cover compares to a well fitting upholstery, like Katskinz. Just my $.02 worth. If you're dead set on going with covers, I would recommend Coverking. I have no experience with Clazzio.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
is that a limited center console to? mans building himself a limited someone call ram
Yep, Console update, 12" Uconnect, keyless entry, totally dechromed, limited steering wheel, leather upgrade, roof spoiler, tailgate applique LED headlights(OEM), LED taillights(OEM) 2.5" lift.

Last edited:

Cajun_

Reaction score
Yep, Console update, 12" Uconnect, keyless entry, totally dechromed, limited steering wheel, leather upgrade, roof spoiler, tailgate applique LED headlights(OEM), LED taillights(OEM) 2.5" lift.
well done sir

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have these in our Volkswagen and love them.

d3sarius

Reaction score
I had Clazzio in my previous Tacoma. After 10 years, seats almost looked new. I added heat seaters in between the factory cloth upholestery and clazzio covers; it worked great. I would highly recommend them

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$500 to $600 for seat covers? No thanks. I did Katzkin for $750. No cutting, besides the hog rings, what so ever. Looks OEM.

View attachment 113236 View attachment 113237
Yeah I saw yours in another thread, which is what got me looking at Katzkin in the first place.
Two things with that though. First, is that to do a 2 tone of any kind (stitching, wings, and/or inserts) the cheapest I saw was $1200 plus install. For single color the best price I found was $800 plus install. From the information I got from the Katzkin rep was they could be ordered and installed for $1600 - $2000 depending on how I configured them. So it sounds like install is about $600.
My other issue being the install itself. Like I said, I saw yours and saw that you did the install which sounds like a great idea to save $600. I looked for an installation video and the only one I can find that is Ram specific shows him cutting something to remove the OEM upholstry. See the below screen shot which shows the video name, and time stamp of where he's cutting it.

katzkin cutting.jpg

NRitland2, thanks for the recommendation of Carhart. Aren't those duckcloth though or do they make leather too?
I've seen Carhart covers listed on various sights, and haven't checked them out because I was looking for leather. I'm not really concerned with waterproof and/or being extra tough. Even when I go hunting, I don't drag all my muddy gear against the seats. I throw it in the bed and then get into the truck. I'll throw a towel down if I got nasty for some reason. I don't understand what some people are doing to their seats. lol

Last edited:

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know you said you don't want to hear about katskinz as a suggestion, but I'm only going to say this. You likely saved more than $2k by going with a Big Horn over something with leather. So you'd just be putting some of that savings towards leather seats. I've had Coverking seat covers in a previous truck. They were pretty nice for seat covers. But no seat cover compares to a well fitting upholstery, like Katskinz. Just my $.02 worth. If you're dead set on going with covers, I would recommend Coverking. I have no experience with Clazzio.
I had a similar thought about the savings going toward the leather.
Funny enough, when bought the truck the dealership offered to have Katzkin installed with the cost added into the purchase price of the truck. One payment, quick easy and done. At the time I wanted to go back to cloth so I didn't get them. Now that I've had cloth again for a few months I think I should have added the leather then, but it's not a big deal since I can add it now.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. The thing I like most about the Katzkin is that you can adjust it any way you want. The install though.... I know I can put a cover on, but to reupholster is something I've never tried and to pay someone is pretty expensive.
Do you happen to have a link for install on the 1500 (video or written/images)?

Last edited:

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those of you who have done Clazzio or Coverking how long did it take you to install them? From what I've seen it looks pretty straight forward, although everyone seems to say their hands are spent by the time they're done. Must be a really tight fit, as it should be.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Those of you who have done Clazzio or Coverking how long did it take you to install them? From what I've seen it looks pretty straight forward, although everyone seems to say their hands are spent by the time they're done. Must be a really tight fit, as it should be.
When I installed Coverkings in a 4th gen, the fronts were pretty straight forward. The rear seats were a different story though. I couldn't reach my hand in far enough to install them, and didn't want to remove the rear seats, so I eventually gave up. I hardly ever had anyone in the back anyway, so I was okay only having covers on the front seats. The covers were the same color as the factory seats so it wasn't that noticeable.

I would think installation on a 5th gen would be much easier if you have reclining rear seats, since you can fold the seat back forward on those.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's what I'm thinking so far. I wanted two tone, but all the grays I've tired (even Lapis) seemed cheap. The only combo I found that Lapis looked okay with was doing the wings only, and still haven't ruled that out.
I went back to the black and brown I was originally considering. I showed my wife and she suggested matched stitching. The image here has it as coffee not dark brown, but that was just to get it to contrast for a screen shot.
That's a Katzkin design. If I go with Clazzio I may be able to get a similar color combo. However, if I go with Coverking they'd have to be all black. They have two tone but only in leatherette and they've only got beige or gray. Neither are what I want.

So keeping the thread going with the planning process, this is what I'm considering.

katzkin concept.jpg

Oldremguy

Reaction score
I put Clazzo in my 2015 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab, it had bucket front seats and 60/40 rear seats. It took me about 6 to 7 hours to put them in, never put seat covers on before. My hands were sore for a day afterwards. The seat covers looked great and still looked nice when I traded the truck in with 78,000 miles on it.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you. I figured they'd be a bit of work and if they slid right on without any effort I'm sure they'd look loose and sloppy.

So far I've heard nothing but good things from people who have actually owned Clazzio covers. The only nay sayers have been people who think new upholstery is better choice than covers. I would agree that with a standard universal fit cover that's loose and wrinkly, they're absolutely right but these aren't that. Also if you're making a show truck, then covers probably aren't going to win you any prizes either so they may not be the best choice for those people.

I had Iggee covers on my '05 Ram, and they were pretty easy to install. They weren't super snug fitting, but not loose either. Looking at the photos now, I see I should have fit the tops (where the head restraint holes are) differently, but overall they were pretty smooth.

iggee seat covers.jpg
I don't think covers are a bad thing, which is why I was looking at them as an alternative to Katzkin. You gotta ask yourself if the replacement material looks so much better that it's worth $____ more. For me it comes down to how big the price offset is.
I really wish I could find some instructions on the Katzkin install to see if I want to try it myself. If it were a difference of $150 between covers and upholstery, Katzkin seems like the winner. Of course that's assuming it's only $150 difference after they've been customized. Then if I have to pay someone to install them it'll be well beyond $150 difference and then they don't seem to justify the extra cost.

Last edited:

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was never able to find any installation instructions, photos, videos or guides for the Katzkin seats on a 1500 DT. I'm don't want to go in blind on something that cost almost a grand. For plain black I was looking at about $900 after tax and install tool/rings. That's a big gamble not knowing for sure I could successfully do the install. To add any color Lapis or Coffee, I was going to be well over a grand. Considering covers are about half that price I went back to how this thread started, which was covers.
I couldn't find any direct comparisons between Clazzio and Coverking but separately they both seem to have good reviews. Both have full coverage with seams matching the OEM lines. Price wise they're about the same, but the Coverking were just a little more expensive, although it sounds like they may work a little better with the heated seats. I've read that some people with Clazzio have to run the seat on high to notice them after the install, and I read a few reviews that said the Coverking didn't effect them. I attribute that to the 1/2" of foam Clazzio says they put on theirs.
Since Coverking is a California company and Clazzio is made in China I spent the extra little bit and bought domestic. They offer a military discount too so that saved me a little bit, and they come with an install kit which saves a little more.
I ended up ordering all black, because silver looked cheap. Just my opinion, no offense intended to anyone who has silver on their seats. Gray didn't look bad with black, but I could only find that on Katzkin. Some of the covers called theirs gray, but it looked more sliver than anything.
The photo edits I did to try to get an idea of how brown would look didn't tie in to the interior. I couldn't find anyway to change out the silver accents in my truck for a woodgrain aside from hydrodip, which I've done before. Unfortunately I don't think the silver pieces separate from the other trim they're attached to. Much like the Katzkin I couldn't find any guidance online for taking the trim pieces off the radio, steering wheel or doors. Much like the upholstery I didn't want to wing it and screw something up, so all back covers it is.
That works out I guess though. Even having spent a little more for a US product ($500) they still were half that of the Katzkin, and I know I can do the install. There are several videos on how to install them, unlike Katzkin who only tell you the recommend professional installation.
I'll post photos once they're on and give a review on the install process and initial impression of quality. They're not expected to arrive for about 2 weeks, then I've got to find a day to put them on. Hopefully I'll have it done before February.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been leaning towards going with this company. Great reviews and it’s definitely not plain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread