5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom seat covers. Clazzio, Coverking, something else?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was never able to find any installation instructions, photos, videos or guides for the Katzkin seats on a 1500 DT. I'm don't want to go in blind on something that cost almost a grand. For plain black I was looking at about $900 after tax and install tool/rings. That's a big gamble not knowing for sure I could successfully do the install. To add any color Lapis or Coffee, I was going to be well over a grand. Considering covers are about half that price I went back to how this thread started, which was covers.
I couldn't find any direct comparisons between Clazzio and Coverking but separately they both seem to have good reviews. Both have full coverage with seams matching the OEM lines. Price wise they're about the same, but the Coverking were just a little more expensive, although it sounds like they may work a little better with the heated seats. I've read that some people with Clazzio have to run the seat on high to notice them after the install, and I read a few reviews that said the Coverking didn't effect them. I attribute that to the 1/2" of foam Clazzio says they put on theirs.
Since Coverking is a California company and Clazzio is made in China I spent the extra little bit and bought domestic. They offer a military discount too so that saved me a little bit, and they come with an install kit which saves a little more.
I ended up ordering all black, because silver looked cheap. Just my opinion, no offense intended to anyone who has silver on their seats. Gray didn't look bad with black, but I could only find that on Katzkin. Some of the covers called theirs gray, but it looked more sliver than anything.
The photo edits I did to try to get an idea of how brown would look didn't tie in to the interior. I couldn't find anyway to change out the silver accents in my truck for a woodgrain aside from hydrodip, which I've done before. Unfortunately I don't think the silver pieces separate from the other trim they're attached to. Much like the Katzkin I couldn't find any guidance online for taking the trim pieces off the radio, steering wheel or doors. Much like the upholstery I didn't want to wing it and screw something up, so all back covers it is.
That works out I guess though. Even having spent a little more for a US product ($500) they still were half that of the Katzkin, and I know I can do the install. There are several videos on how to install them, unlike Katzkin who only tell you the recommend professional installation.
I'll post photos once they're on and give a review on the install process and initial impression of quality. They're not expected to arrive for about 2 weeks, then I've got to find a day to put them on. Hopefully I'll have it done before February.
I wouldn't read too much into those different reviews. It's possible that the conflicting reviews on how well covers work with seat heaters is the inconsistency in how well the heaters themselves work. There are lots of differing reports on how well these heated seats work.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
True, I've read conflicting reviews on the heated seats without covers too. You've got a good point.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No matter how good the heater works, or not works, the more layers or material you put on, it will impact the operation of the heater element even more. That's the reason I went with Katzkin and removed the cloth covers. My heater works pretty decent.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes but does it work $1000 worth better? I doubt it, and that's the price difference I was looking at to get Katzkins instead of covers. Paying for professional install they'll cost me $1200 - $2000 (depending on options) and I can do covers for $500.

Sure I could get Katzkin for $900 if I do the install myself but you can't find instructions anywhere. That's $400 more than covers and would still be all black. If I did two tone, colored stitching, perforation, or any other options they'd cost even more. I don't see the justification for the extra cost in them. For those of you who have them and could justify it, that's great but the price offset is too big for the little bit of difference that I see. I know there's design, development and other expense that goes into bringing them to market so I'm not saying they're over priced. Just over priced for me when I can get a close alternative for much cheaper. This is no different than a Tradesman vs a Big Horn. At the end of the day, they're substantially similar. The Big Horn may be a little nicer but cost quite a bit more. For some people that little bit extra is worth the money, but for others it's not noticeable enough to justify the increase.

As for the heater. I suspect a cover (without the layer of memory foam) should feel similar to wearing jeans instead of pajama pants. Maybe somewhat noticeable as you mentioned, but I highly doubt it will be substantial. Certainly not enough to justify a $700 - $1500 price increase.

Last edited:

Dame

Reaction score
I had Clazzio in my 4th Gen, installed them in my Big Horn 5th Gen Crew Cab, look great, front seats are pretty easy to install. Rear seats take a little more time, and as I did in my fourth Gen, I removed the rear seats for the install.

I went for all black this time simply because they were in stock and available for immediate ship, didn't want to wait the 4-6 weeks for two tone.

Attachments

• 20220104_084847.jpg
    20220104_084847.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 103

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those look great, thanks for the input and photo.
And yes, the delivery time did give a little weight to the decision making process. Two weeks vs six to eight is a pretty big gap.
The other factor was that all black are returnable because they're "off the shelf" instead of custom order. So if they show up and look/feel cheap, I don't like the color or something else I don't like, I can return them. If I got two tone, I was stuck with them. I wish there had been a retail location in the area so I could see some samples. They sent me a sample card, but you can only get so much of an idea from 1" squares of material.

Dame

Reaction score
I will get some more photos after I've been to car wash lol...the only thing that is a little not tight fitting is the arm rest in back seat, but I also haven't been back to it to really try to get it tighter.
I was surprised at how much better this set felt compared to the set I had in my 4th Gen (4th Gen I had Black/Grey w.Grey stitching), 4th Gen was nice these jsut feel far superior, like Clazzio upped their game a little.
Installing back seats was definitely easier with a friend, 4 hands made it much easier.

As for Clazzio, if you haven't ordered yet, they usually have sales on holiday weekends, I ordered when there would be a holiday coming in about a month, asked simply if they have a sale coming up, and they sent me the sale code via email. So make sure to ask about upcoming sales !!!!!

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i used "CoverKing" and called it a day...but thats me;)

Attachments

• 100_1725_InPi.jpg
    100_1725_InPi.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 90
  • 100_1886_InPixio.jpg
    100_1886_InPixio.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 90

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why would they use a leather/leatherette console cover with neoprene seat covers? Or is that not part of the package? I see one image has a black cloth cover, is the other one something you've done to continue the red theme?

I realize those are covers different from what I was looking at, but what are your thoughts on Coverking's quality? Do they seem well built, have you compared them to other neoprene covers?

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why would they use a leather/leatherette console cover with neoprene seat covers? Or is that not part of the package? I see one image has a black cloth cover, is the other one something you've done to continue the red theme?

I realize those are covers different from what I was looking at, but what are your thoughts on Coverking's quality? Do they seem well built, have you compared them to other neoprene covers?
photo #1 on the console is "Neo"came with the package.photo#2 is and after market i found on the internet

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last month I ordered the Coverking covers. I mentioned it to my nephew who said he had a set of saddlecloth covers in his Ram. He said the covers were great, but the customer service was awful.
My covers were supposed to ship within 2 weeks, which was allegedly longer than normal due to Covid. Okay, no big deal, right? Well after 3 weeks I emailed them and was told I'd be given shipping info within 24-72 hours. A week later still no shipping info. I emailed again. This time they responded saying they should ship within a week, and again blamed Covid for the delay. A week later, still no shipping info. I send ANOTHER email asking for an update, and I'm told another week delay due to Covid. Okay, enough' s enough. You can only keep using the same excuse before it gets old. It's been a month and they still haven't shipped. Keep in mind I ordered the all black, off the rack covers so I don't know what the hold up is.
I guess my nephew was right, customer service is less than stellar.

I canceled my Coverking order today and ordered the Clazzio covers instead. I was hoping to keep my order with an American company, but I was starting to feel like I'd been had. I like how Clazzio accounts for the side airbag better than Coverking, but I wasn't sure about the 1/2" of foam. I guess they made the decision for me. On the upside they are allegedly making some of the solid color covers in the USA so maybe it's at least assembled domestic.

Anyway, back on the waiting list.... or still on it I guess. Just with a different company now. Ordered all black again because I couldn't find any photos of two tone 5th gen Rams.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last month I ordered the Coverking covers. I mentioned it to my nephew who said he had a set of saddlecloth covers in his Ram. He said the covers were great, but the customer service was awful.
My covers were supposed to ship within 2 weeks, which was allegedly longer than normal due to Covid. Okay, no big deal, right? Well after 3 weeks I emailed them and was told I'd be given shipping info within 24-72 hours. A week later still no shipping info. I emailed again. This time they responded saying they should ship within a week, and again blamed Covid for the delay. A week later, still no shipping info. I send ANOTHER email asking for an update, and I'm told another week delay due to Covid. Okay, enough' s enough. You can only keep using the same excuse before it gets old. It's been a month and they still haven't shipped. Keep in mind I ordered the all black, off the rack covers so I don't know what the hold up is.
I guess my nephew was right, customer service is less than stellar.

I canceled my Coverking order today and ordered the Clazzio covers instead. I was hoping to keep my order with an American company, but I was starting to feel like I'd been had. I like how Clazzio accounts for the side airbag better than Coverking, but I wasn't sure about the 1/2" of foam. I guess they made the decision for me. On the upside they are allegedly making some of the solid color covers in the USA so maybe it's at least assembled domestic.

Anyway, back on the waiting list.... or still on it I guess. Just with a different company now. Ordered all black again because I couldn't find any photos of two tone 5th gen Rams.
when you order them.they do not have what you want or size sitting on a shelf ready to be delivered.when its you turn they make them up.so thats why you have to wait

Attachments

• 100_1688_InPixio.jpg
    100_1688_InPixio.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_1694_InPixio.jpg
    100_1694_InPixio.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_1695_InPixio.jpg
    100_1695_InPixio.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 33

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well in an interesting twist.
I canceled the Coverking covers yesterday morning and got a confirmation email at 10:00.
I ordered the Clazzio covers a few hours later and got a confirmation email at 1230.
At 1338 I got a shipping confirmation email from Coverking. Wait, what? That was canceled 3.5 hours earlier. Ugh, what a mess.
About 30 minutes ago I got a shipping confirmation email from Clazzio with the same estimated delivery date.

So after 5 weeks of waiting for a set of covers, I now have two sets arriving the same day. Good grief. CARiD said they'll accept the return but their policy says they deduct the initial shipping fee, plus $9.50 for returned items. Um, that's not going to happen. I responded saying that if I return the covers to them, I'm not paying any fees since that was their error. I don't know if they planned on charging fees or not, but I'm sure I'll find out when they respond.

On the up side. With both arriving at the same time, I can do a side by side comparison to see which set I want to keep.

** A side note for fairness/clarification. I guess the customer service issue isn't with Coverking specifically. It's with CARiD which was the only place I could find to order them. I assume it's like their store brand or something but maybe not. So I guess I shouldn't say Coverking's customer service sucks, CARiD's does.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
when you order them.they do not have what you want or size sitting on a shelf ready to be delivered.when its you turn they make them up.so thats why you have to wait
The way they have it worded, all black covers are stocked. The custom orders like your black/red are made when it's your turn.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the fiasco continues. The Clazzio covers showed up right on time. Interestingly the CoverKing did not, and I received a second email 2 days later saying they had shipped. They're still not here. So basically it seems like CARiD made a quick shipping label the day of the cancelation so they could claim it was shipped the same day and allegedly couldn't cancel the order in time.
Clearly not true since they didn't actually ship until 2 days after the cancelation.

I filed a complaint with the FTC for unfair business practice. As it turns out, since they were shipped after confirmed cancelation they are technically "unordered merchandise" and US code says I'm not responsible for any costs. I'm talking with my bank now to see if I should return them and they'll fight the fees, or if I should keep them and they'll fight the purchase price. Either way, I'm not going to have to pay anything for CARiD's attempt to push the order through so that's good news.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As for the covers.
The Clazzio look and feel amazing. The foam isn't as thick or dense as I was picturing it so I'm not concerned about the heater being able to work through it. Design wise, they look just like the stock leather seats in my '14 Ram.
I was debating between solid or perforated inserts when I was looking at various brands, and I really like the perforation on these.
The leather is soft and smooth and the seams look robust. Initial impressions are good for the Clazzio. I'm certainly not seeing anything that would justify spending an extra $1K for the Katzkin. Especially when you consider that these can be "easily" removed and put on a new truck if I eventually sell this one (or it's crashed/totaled). So cheaper and transferable. Seems like a better choice to me.

Here's a few shots of them out of the box when I was making sure everything was there.
I'll post more photos once they're installed.

Attachments

• Cazzio covers.jpg
    Cazzio covers.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Cazzio covers 2.jpg
    Cazzio covers 2.jpg
    653 KB · Views: 61
  • Cazzio covers 3.jpg
    Cazzio covers 3.jpg
    659.4 KB · Views: 62

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As for the covers.
The Clazzio look and feel amazing. The foam isn't as thick or dense as I was picturing it so I'm not concerned about the heater being able to work through it. Design wise, they look just like the stock leather seats in my '14 Ram.
I was debating between solid or perforated inserts when I was looking at various brands, and I really like the perforation on these.
The leather is soft and smooth and the seams look robust. Initial impressions are good for the Clazzio. I'm certainly not seeing anything that would justify spending an extra $1K for the Katzkin. Especially when you consider that these can be "easily" removed and put on a new truck if I eventually sell this one (or it's crashed/totaled). So cheaper and transferable. Seems like a better choice to me.

Here's a few shots of them out of the box when I was making sure everything was there.
I'll post more photos once they're installed.
definitely following :love:(y)

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well in an interesting twist.
I canceled the Coverking covers yesterday morning and got a confirmation email at 10:00.
I ordered the Clazzio covers a few hours later and got a confirmation email at 1230.
At 1338 I got a shipping confirmation email from Coverking. Wait, what? That was canceled 3.5 hours earlier. Ugh, what a mess.
About 30 minutes ago I got a shipping confirmation email from Clazzio with the same estimated delivery date.

So after 5 weeks of waiting for a set of covers, I now have two sets arriving the same day. Good grief. CARiD said they'll accept the return but their policy says they deduct the initial shipping fee, plus $9.50 for returned items. Um, that's not going to happen. I responded saying that if I return the covers to them, I'm not paying any fees since that was their error. I don't know if they planned on charging fees or not, but I'm sure I'll find out when they respond.

On the up side. With both arriving at the same time, I can do a side by side comparison to see which set I want to keep.

** A side note for fairness/clarification. I guess the customer service issue isn't with Coverking specifically. It's with CARiD which was the only place I could find to order them. I assume it's like their store brand or something but maybe not. So I guess I shouldn't say Coverking's customer service sucks, CARiD's does.
I had dealings with Coverking and Carid. I had a headrest cover that I had an issue with and was replaced with a little communication between Coverking and the seller, issue resolved with a few pictures and emails.
(y) for Coverking.

I was sent an old style Westin bedmat by Carid. No response from Carid or Westin.
(n):poop: for Carid and Westin.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah that's kind of the impression I'm getting. It seems like CoverKing is okay but CARiD on the other hand, not so much.

I've got the driver side done. I took a break yesterday to deal with all the snow, and was beat by the time I finished that. I'm off to do the other side now, and take some photos.

For anyone considering putting covers on. If you don't have fold down seats (ie a QC) install is extremely easy if you remove the back seats. Four fasteners per seat is all you have to remove. Then lift them up and away (they're "hooked" to the back wall). That took 5 minutes, instead of trying to squeeze my hand behind the seat. It can be done without removing them, but taking them out will save a ton of time and rugburn on your hands.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread