5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curious Tire Wear

hotrodalley

Reaction score
1500 Limited. At about 15000 miles I noticed wear on left front outside tire (cupping). I have had the alignment checked 3 times and rotated the tires. Same wear continues. I am thinking it must be wearing while vehicle is moving as alignment and tire pressures are perfect. The vehicle does have air suspension. Any thoughts ?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was the alignment check at the dealership or a shop that knows what they're doing?

As much as the dealership is a one-stop-shop for everything that does not mean they are good at it. Some may be, but overall I would not consider them 'experts' in that field.

My truck was in spec. Good tire wear and tracked straight (no pulling) but the wheel was just a l-i-t-t-l-e off from center. Enough that I'd finally had enough and took it to Firestone. They told me it was in spec but, in addition to straightening the wheel, made some adjustments within tolerance for it to drive better. Sure enough it was better and I was in spec to start with.

I was very skeptical early on when I bought my truck as it had been out for less than a year and many shops (outside of dealerships) did not have the specs for the "all-new" RAM. Now that the 5th gen has been out for several years that's not the case.

Just my .02

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
1500 Limited. At about 15000 miles I noticed wear on left front outside tire (cupping). I have had the alignment checked 3 times and rotated the tires. Same wear continues. I am thinking it must be wearing while vehicle is moving as alignment and tire pressures are perfect. The vehicle does have air suspension. Any thoughts ?
I agree with Brian. The question here is did they follow the procedure to set the air suspension in the proper mode for an alignment.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with Brian. The question here is did they follow the procedure to set the air suspension in the proper mode for an alignment.
I also have heard that you need to disable the lane keep assist otherwise it interferes with the alignment also.

Users who are viewing this thread