5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Critique my planned suspension mods: 5100's with rear air system

KPBlue

Reaction score
I just ordered the 5100 front shocks today and am now planning out my rear suspension and would love feedback from you guys that have converted the rear to an air setup. I'm planning on running the 5100's on setting 5 or 6 and keeping the rear end about half an inch higher using air bags.

I'm leaning more towards a coil spring replacement kit compared to helper bags because I like the idea of being able to lower the rear when loading or hooking up my trailer. However, I'm not sure how low you can go doing it that way. Would I be able to get close to the bump stops with no air pressure in these bags? The kit I'm looking at is this one: https://www.truckspring.com/product...neItemId=2b44d284-5f71-46e1-b5a2-8debd68bb688

For the on board compressor and controller I'm really liking the airlift wirelessone. Seems like a really sweet system for 300 bucks, and I like the idea of not having to mount anything in the cab. Anybody use this system? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FFBXR46/?tag=alpirp-20&th=1

I'll do a write up on the install and my impressions once I make a decision on what to get. Still researching a lot and I definitely appreciate any opinions you guys have!

And of course, everyone like pics so here's one of the day I picked her up with my son. Went from a 3rd gen to this one and am loving every minute so far!

Attachments

• Pick up day.jpg
    Pick up day.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 43

K_Hub

Reaction score
I just ordered the 5100 front shocks today and am now planning out my rear suspension and would love feedback from you guys that have converted the rear to an air setup. I'm planning on running the 5100's on setting 5 or 6 and keeping the rear end about half an inch higher using air bags.

I'm leaning more towards a coil spring replacement kit compared to helper bags because I like the idea of being able to lower the rear when loading or hooking up my trailer. However, I'm not sure how low you can go doing it that way. Would I be able to get close to the bump stops with no air pressure in these bags? The kit I'm looking at is this one: https://www.truckspring.com/product...neItemId=2b44d284-5f71-46e1-b5a2-8debd68bb688

For the on board compressor and controller I'm really liking the airlift wirelessone. Seems like a really sweet system for 300 bucks, and I like the idea of not having to mount anything in the cab. Anybody use this system? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FFBXR46/?tag=alpirp-20&th=1

I'll do a write up on the install and my impressions once I make a decision on what to get. Still researching a lot and I definitely appreciate any opinions you guys have!

And of course, everyone like pics so here's one of the day I picked her up with my son. Went from a 3rd gen to this one and am loving every minute so far!

That sounds like an awesome set up. I’m debating my options on my 2020 Laramie 4x4 without ORP right now too. I’m planning on doing the same up front, 5100 on 4 or 5 setting. I’ll have a better idea once I get my roll top and everything installed in my bed. Looking to keep just a bit of front end rake with stock height on rear. While I don’t haul a trailer that often I do often carry around 1,000 pounds of steel in the bed (replacement hammers for my rock crusher). I’m leaning towards either doing the Airlift 1000s or 5000s.

Here’s a picture of the lovely pieces of expensive steel I carry often.
f0aad9b7814014247106a188d6c7d6e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram_Feste

Reaction score
Im running 5100's up front set at pos 5 with a top hat spacer and get 3.5" lift in front and only had to run 20 lbs of air in my helper springs to be even/slight rake. I like the setup, but can see the advantage of lowering the rear for hookups or ease of entry to bed.

KPBlue

Reaction score
Man these things are gorgeous. Can't wait to get this all installed.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200512_234022.jpg
    MVIMG_20200512_234022.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 38

K_Hub

Reaction score
Im running 5100's up front set at pos 5 with a top hat spacer and get 3.5" lift in front and only had to run 20 lbs of air in my helper springs to be even/slight rake. I like the setup, but can see the advantage of lowering the rear for hookups or ease of entry to bed.

What manufacturer did you end up going with for the helpers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dnelso2

Reaction score
Want to run same setup in rear but I’m also looking at the timber grove coil to air conversion. I cannot find a single post or review on the ride quality or durability of the coil to air kits. Don’t want to have to replace a bag every 6 months and don’t want to be riding around on my bump stocks if they are prone to leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread