5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crew Cab reclining rear seat

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Easiest way is to fold down center seat, reach behind either seat and locate what feels like a shoe string. You may have to fish around for it. Pull it either way 90 or 270 degrees, should pop seat lock out...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Do the seats lay completely flat with no bounce or no? I would check but I’m getting my haircut right now.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do the seats lay completely flat with no bounce or no? I would check but I’m getting my haircut right now.
No. They normally just fold UP. The backs release for access to the rear sliding mechanism and ventilation components, but they don't bend down too far.

zerophi

Reaction score
Does anyone have a clue as to whether or not the Rebel owners can just swap out the rear seats with the laramie? The seat comfort in the back seat of the rebels sucks and I want to take this truck cross country. Just don't know what Dodge was thinking when they put the rear seats in the rebel.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have a clue as to whether or not the Rebel owners can just swap out the rear seats with the laramie? The seat comfort in the back seat of the rebels sucks and I want to take this truck cross country. Just don't know what Dodge was thinking when they put the rear seats in the rebel.

What part of the seats do you find uncomfortable? The Laramie and other trimmed seats will have the same shape and bolstering, they'll just recline a little bit, and they slide forward in the process, reducing legroom at the same time.

Reaction score

Rebels (at least to this point in time) are Quad cabs, which are shorter than the Crews (by a lot). So, seat cushions are shorter and the seatback angle is more upright. Even if you can fit a Crew seat into a Quad cab (which I seriously doubt you'd be able to), your legs would be pinched between the cushion and the front seat.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rebels (at least to this point in time) are Quad cabs, which are shorter than the Crews (by a lot). So, seat cushions are shorter and the seatback angle is more upright. Even if you can fit a Crew seat into a Quad cab (which I seriously doubt you'd be able to), your legs would be pinched between the cushion and the front seat.

You do realize most Rebels are Crew Cabs right?

Last edited:

televe

Reaction score
We've just bought one of the 'All-New' 2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab trucks, and like the starter of this thread I didn't check the folding capabilities of the rear seats. I guess I didn't realise what 'stadium' folding meant. On the Big Horn, the rear seats simply lift up, without the use of any levers or handles and stay upright without really locking in that position, providing loads of storage space. I was hoping that the seat backs would fold flat so that I could occasionally put some long items through the sliding rear window without them resting on the (non-adjustable) centre headrest.

Can the rear seats be made to tilt forward?

Does anyone know what the three fabric loops sticking up behind the rear seats are there for?

Many thanks.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We've just bought one of the 'All-New' 2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab trucks, and like the starter of this thread I didn't check the folding capabilities of the rear seats. I guess I didn't realise what 'stadium' folding meant. On the Big Horn, the rear seats simply lift up, without the use of any levers or handles and stay upright without really locking in that position, providing loads of storage space. I was hoping that the seat backs would fold flat so that I could occasionally put some long items through the sliding rear window without them resting on the (non-adjustable) centre headrest.

Can the rear seats be made to tilt forward?

Does anyone know what the three fabric loops sticking up behind the rear seats are there for?

Many thanks.

To answer your question:

1. No they cannot fold flat no matter what trim. My Laramie folds up as well (so did my F150, I think this is fairly standard out there for pickups). The seat back can be tilted for servicing purposes only and does not come close to flat.

2. The 3 fabric loops are anchor points for the “latch” system which is used for car seats.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really enjoy the rear seats in my 2004 Silverado -- the bottoms FLIP UP (towards the front seats) exposing cargo space. Then, the rears can fold down (making a nice flat surface). I was hoping these RAM Crew Cabs would do the same, I was shocked they don't even fold down (rear portions) to expose the back of the cab. There tends to be great storage space there for your long-arm snow scraper/wiper. I am told my new rig will be here in 8 weeks. Looking forward to breaking it in.

Tim N

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I really enjoy the rear seats in my 2004 Silverado -- the bottoms FLIP UP (towards the front seats) exposing cargo space. Then, the rears can fold down (making a nice flat surface). I was hoping these RAM Crew Cabs would do the same, I was shocked they don't even fold down (rear portions) to expose the back of the cab. There tends to be great storage space there for your long-arm snow scraper/wiper. I am told my new rig will be here in 8 weeks. Looking forward to breaking it in.

Tim N
I had similar seats in my ‘03 GMC. While they flipped down flat, as you said, the back seat legroom was quite a bit smaller, so the Ram has just as much space front-to-back with the seats folded up. And the Ram’s flip-up design provides far more vertical space - very useful for transporting rigid cargo.

There’s also very little space behind the Ram seatbacks, as (at least in my case) the Harman Kardon subwoofer and eTorque battery unit are stored there behind panels.

But between the RamBins in the floor, the built-in underseat storage, and (in my case) RamBoxes, I have far more dry/lockable storage (and more passenger room) in the Ram.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You do realize most Rebels are Crew Cabs right?

Not the one at my local dealer .. it was a white quad .. but I wanted the "Sky dome" roof and they only offer that in the crew cab .. I REALLY wanted the Rebel but it was a toss up between glass roof or not. I just did not want such a huge rear seat area.

Ant8099

Reaction score
Also keep in mind that you don't get the slide and recline rear seat until the Laramie and above trim levels.
Is there a kit to give the capability to ones who did not get the upper trim level ram to convert it to recline?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just assumed my truck had it, went out to do it, and realized.... but I mean.... 99% of trucks have gotten by without this so I think I’ll survive. A bit annoying though on the Rebel, costs more than a decently equipped Laramie in most scenarios and yet no seats. Just like the memory seating.

I’m actually wondering if the back seat isn’t the same seat from the 4th gen. And that’s why...

MacFly

Reaction score
Is there a kit to give the capability to ones who did not get the upper trim level ram to convert it to recline?
Bump because I have the exact same question. Can someone mod a Big Horn to have the reclining rear seats?

jchickman

Reaction score
Re-bump. Has anyone figured out how to add this to a Big Horn?

V509

Reaction score
sorry for this question but how did you get that back to tilt down?
Folding it down is worthless, does not fold down flat, just kinda bounces

Attachments

• 52B9A4FC-A04C-4D37-94A4-AE401E215636.jpeg
    52B9A4FC-A04C-4D37-94A4-AE401E215636.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 236C30DC-F37D-4C08-AB50-E8F527C3777E.jpeg
    236C30DC-F37D-4C08-AB50-E8F527C3777E.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 90

Users who are viewing this thread