5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creak/Pop When First Reversing

MNMEAD

Reaction score
My 2022 with 22,000 miles on it has started to creak and/or do a slight pop when I go into reverse. I have noticed it for a little over a month, and am right at 11 months of ownership. It sounds like it is coming from the drivers side front wheel. I notice it only after moving forward, then shifting into R. I'll pull up to my driveway or a parking spot to back in, slow to a stop, shift, and start to reverse and I will get a creaking/groaning/slight pop right when I start to move in reverse. It does not happen when going forward, and I do not currently think it is dependent on the degree of angle the front wheels are at. I plan to take it to the dealer, but wanted it to happen more consistently - it happens every other time or so I go into reverse. What are everyones thoughts? Steering feels tight, as does the suspension. I think it has something to do with the drivetrain. I should clarify, it is audible only. I do not feel any sort of feedback of anything binding or shifting. Noise only. Thanks for the help!

ej23

Reaction score
Any luck on this? I found this thread by searching groaning. Mine 2019 with about 27000 just recently started doing the same thing, I only notice it when I back out of my driveway. I am going to ask about it at next service but wondering what you have come up with.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure this is the issue either of you are asking about but for the 2019's in particular there is a TSB for groaning in reverse - it involves installing some braces on the rear axle to eliminate the groaning sound - someone recently posted another update that it may now apply to 2022 as well.

MNMEAD

Reaction score
I haven't taken it in yet, and its stayed the same noise level and prevalence. I'll be going to the dealership in a couple weeks and will see what they say.

RAMonkey

Reaction score
I’ve been getting something similar on my ‘22. When I back out of my garage then cut the wheel to the left, I hear and think I feel a pop as I straighten out the wheel at the front driver’s side. It almost feels like the tire is rubbing against the wheel well for a second, but I ruled that out. It doesn’t happen every time, though…

MNMEAD

Reaction score
Mine is not a single pop, it sounds like something is binding and releasing as the wheel spins.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the groaning in reverse on my 2019 and the brackets fixed it but my 2021 doesn't have that issue so far. If the sound is not a groan in reverse that sounds like a wookie it is likely a different issue. Seeing that you're in MN I would mention the other possibility if you mostly hear it after being parked could be moisture on the rotors causing rusting overnight and you hear the pads as they take off that rust in the morning - it can be worse in the winter when you get road snow/water under the truck that then falls overnight.

MNMEAD

Reaction score
I had the groaning in reverse on my 2019 and the brackets fixed it but my 2021 doesn't have that issue so far. If the sound is not a groan in reverse that sounds like a wookie it is likely a different issue. Seeing that you're in MN I would mention the other possibility if you mostly hear it after being parked could be moisture on the rotors causing rusting overnight and you hear the pads as they take off that rust in the morning - it can be worse in the winter when you get road snow/water under the truck that then falls overnight.
That is what I wondered initially as well, but it is not the pads. I am not sure I can say it ISN'T a groan, but maybe a combo of groan and light pop. I'll definitely have the dealership check it out when I go in for my oil change on the 22nd.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2022 with 22,000 miles on it has started to creak and/or do a slight pop when I go into reverse. I have noticed it for a little over a month, and am right at 11 months of ownership. It sounds like it is coming from the drivers side front wheel. I notice it only after moving forward, then shifting into R. I'll pull up to my driveway or a parking spot to back in, slow to a stop, shift, and start to reverse and I will get a creaking/groaning/slight pop right when I start to move in reverse. It does not happen when going forward, and I do not currently think it is dependent on the degree of angle the front wheels are at. I plan to take it to the dealer, but wanted it to happen more consistently - it happens every other time or so I go into reverse. What are everyones thoughts? Steering feels tight, as does the suspension. I think it has something to do with the drivetrain. I should clarify, it is audible only. I do not feel any sort of feedback of anything binding or shifting. Noise only. Thanks for the help!
Hey there!

We'd love to get you some assistance with this! Please send us a direct message if you're interested.

Callie
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread