5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked Exhaust? Really?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Disagree, could have been a bad batch from the vender, bad metal from the foundry or something in the casting in that spot.
My previous Ram had 277K on it and never had a manifold issue
I'd buy that if it were a one-off every now and then, but there have been numerous people (in this site and elsewhere) having failures on both sides, which disproves the bad batch theory, at least, statistically.

Cheers,

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'd buy that if it were a one-off every now and then, but there have been numerous people (in this site and elsewhere) having failures on both sides, which disproves the bad batch theory, at least, statistically.

Cheers,
Not necessarily, how many are made at a time, how many from the same mold?
GM had a bad batch of valve springs on the LS6 that spanned 18 months, bad wire to the spring manufacturer.
Bad iron ore could have come from the foundry but regardless, the failure number is miniscule.

Using 5thgenram members as measuring stick for failures is flawed. The people that have a problem with their trucks seek a place to complain and congregate here and every other car forum, Ferrari chat is full of complaints and those are $500k cars. Point, looking at forums as validation of a problem is highly flawed

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Not necessarily, how many are made at a time, how many from the same mold?
GM had a bad batch of valve springs on the LS6 that spanned 18 months, bad wire to the spring manufacturer.
Bad iron ore could have come from the foundry but regardless, the failure number is miniscule
It would be difficult to have come from the same mold. These are opposite sides ;)
And we are not talking matching pairs here. The odds of having two opposite parts fail on the same engines at this point would be astronomical, yet they still happen.

I don't have a dog in this fight. Just adding all this up, and I don't like the answer of what it adds up to.

Cheers,

BowDown

Reaction score
It would be difficult to have come from the same mold. These are opposite sides ;)
And we are not talking matching pairs here. The odds of having two opposite parts fail on the same engines at this point would be astronomical, yet they still happen.

I don't have a dog in this fight. Just adding all this up, and I don't like the answer of what it adds up to.

Cheers,
Thought about that too and one thought is that it may be a tune issue on some trucks. Ignition firing after TDC would cause the combustion process to still occur after the exhaust valve opens sending the combustion process into the manifold, this would be exacerbated by running 87 octane fuel. A lean fuel condition could also cause this.
Its hard to call this a casting issue with so few trucks having the issue

silver billet

Reaction score
Look at the bright side; having your manifolds go on you outside of warranty is the perfect excuse for putting on some shorties or long tubes! I'm not even really joking, that's actually my intention if it happens to me.

BowDown

Reaction score
Look at the bright side; having your manifolds go on you outside of warranty is the perfect excuse for putting on some shorties or long tubes! I'm not even really joking, that's actually my intention if it happens to me.

If you really want to solve it permanently, get two Precision Turbo 62/66 "exhaust manifolds"

MascotteBear

Reaction score
I kind of can't believe what I'm hearing but my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport is at the dealer right now, and I just learned both exhaust manifolds have a crack in them! I've owned the truck since February 2019, so it's been 25 months, and I drive above average miles so it's out of warrranty by miles, but above average miles does not crack exhaust manifolds. In fact a new vehicle should NOT have cracked exhaust manifolds. I've never even had an old vehicle with one exhaust manifold problem, let alone two. And they are telling me the bill is $2,100!

This is my very first Ram vehicle. For many years I've driven German cars, but the new design Ram 1500 convinced us we should buy our very first full size pickup ever. Is this a real thing? If so, I'm done with Ram.

Man my 2019 RAM is in the shop right now for the same thing. I don’t get it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MascotteBear

Reaction score
I'm curious. What led the dealership to look at the exhaust manifolds? Was it noise? I have a feeling mine may be cracked because it sounds like an exhaust leak and I can sometimes smell exhaust at the front of the vehicle. Mine isn't real loud; but noticeable.

I could hear a sound on mine after a cold start, and when I asked the service department to check on what that sound was, they came back and told me it was a cracked manifold on each side

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The gold standard of manufacturing is Six Sigma. Not every part or process can be that, and that is still 3 out of 1000 defect rate. Sucks to be one that it happens to but that is part of ownership. FCA did right by a customer, good for them. Bad on the customer who can't stop with the confrontational attitude. Based on what I have seen anecdotally, it does seem this is more common with people that run 87 octane instead of the manual recommended 89+. Same for the HEMI tick/lifters problem (and infrequent oil changes).

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Cheers,

Keep in mind these forums only have people posting who have issues. Those without cracked manifolds aren’t coming in here saying they don’t have problems. These forums make the problems always appear more prevalent than they really are. All the bitching gets consolidated and artificially inflates the concept that a problem is widespread

Maddoggin

Reaction score
I kind of can't believe what I'm hearing but my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport is at the dealer right now, and I just learned both exhaust manifolds have a crack in them! I've owned the truck since February 2019, so it's been 25 months, and I drive above average miles so it's out of warrranty by miles, but above average miles does not crack exhaust manifolds. In fact a new vehicle should NOT have cracked exhaust manifolds. I've never even had an old vehicle with one exhaust manifold problem, let alone two. And they are telling me the bill is $2,100!

This is my very first Ram vehicle. For many years I've driven German cars, but the new design Ram 1500 convinced us we should buy our very first full size pickup ever. Is this a real thing? If so, I'm done with Ram.
This should be covered in the extended warranty coverage from the manufacturer. The 60000 mile drive train coverage.. I also have a 2019 ram 1500 and recently had the manifold on driver side replaced because it was cracked. I went in with 300 miles left on the 36000 mile warranty tho and the service guy said the exhaust manifold is covered with the drive train warranty

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This should be covered in the extended warranty coverage from the manufacturer. The 60000 mile drive train coverage.. I also have a 2019 ram 1500 and recently had the manifold on driver side replaced because it was cracked. I went in with 300 miles left on the 36000 mile warranty tho and the service guy said the exhaust manifold is covered with the drive train warranty
He's out of warranty (beyond 60k miles). They still have him almost all the repair cost back, which is pretty cool and frankly surprising since he is out of warranty.

Deepintx

Reaction score
I currently have this same problem.Luckily for me I took my truck in with only 13k miles. Wish I had taken it in sooner. Heard the noise related to the Y Pipe failing around 9k miles. The dealership has had my truck for almost 3 weeks next Tuesday. Will definitely be asking FCA to reimburse me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
mine cracked around the 27k mark.
I know the warranty covered the bill but how much was the total cost of the repair? I’m surprised the guy on this thread got billed around 1800 which seems like they charged too much on the labor? 🤔
What did the dealer tell you as to why the manifolds cracked at low mileage?

RHeller1

Reaction score
My receipt does not state the repair cost. under amount it says "warranty". I didnt even ask the dealer why. My last 2 4th gens both had broke the exhaust manifold studs, so this wasnt much of a surprise.

Hasti17

Reaction score
You could go with aftermarket manifolds which are better and you can probably get them installed for a fraction of the price. It’s not common but it’s happened enough to notice, especially the bolts breaking holding the manifolds to the block

Used to drive an 05 2500 5.7, left the gas station one day w/85k on the clock and the header bolts played houdini. Its not Super common, and it sucks it happened so early. But i second going aftermarket, find. A shop you trust, and a set of headers that last.

myram2019

Reaction score
Just picked up mine from the dealer. They replaced the driver side manifold as it was cracked.

rs2433

Reaction score

My truck has 12,000 miles on it and they’re cracked also. My truck filled with fumes and was unsafe to drive as the CO levels were almost 2,000 PPM. I have lost my display cluster, main computer board and now this. The truck is basically new. Unbelievable…

gwatt86

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain I have this issue based on sound. I'm at 45K miles so it should be covered under the power train warranty. That said, is this easy to get on eyes on and see the crack? I'd like to get a picture of it to show the dealer when I go back soon to get some extended warranty work done. I don't have time to play games with them so I'd rather give them proof up front, if the noise isn't enough.

Users who are viewing this thread