5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked Exhaust? Really?

dn325ci

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain I have this issue based on sound. I'm at 45K miles so it should be covered under the power train warranty. That said, is this easy to get on eyes on and see the crack? I'd like to get a picture of it to show the dealer when I go back soon to get some extended warranty work done. I don't have time to play games with them so I'd rather give them proof up front, if the noise isn't enough.
Not sure how hard it is to get in there and photograph it. I had photographs of the crack in each manifold that were taken by the dealer and it looked basically like the photo someone posted earlier in this thread - a crack in each near the center of the casting.

KevInSD

Reaction score
I just took my truck in for this (24,000 milled) and indeed the passenger side manifold has to be replaced. The service manager said they have been doing a lot of these lately. I'll be back in when they get the parts in stock.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
24K is definitely premature, but if it makes anyone feel better, it happened to my Trans Am back in the day at around 70K - which led to a header upgrade - which helped aide in blowing the head gaskets at about 110K 😛

gwatt86

Reaction score
Below is a video of mine on start up. Let me know your thoughts. After about 30-40 secs, it quiets down considerably.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Below is a video of mine on start up. Let me know your thoughts. After about 30-40 secs, it quiets down considerably.

To be honest mine has sounded like that since the day I bought it. I always thought it was "off" too but whenever I hear a youtuber reviewing a 5th gen truck they all sound like that to me. Mine also sounds much quieter when it is hot and up to temp.

You asked for a pic, see this post on page 2:

BowDown

Reaction score
You guys need to listen to me, I know what I'm talking about; turbos will without doubt quieten your exhaust leaks. Two, one on both the driver and passenger side, will absorb all sounds coming from the exhaust leaving the engine compartment and the cab dead quiet. If anyone adds turbos and there exhaust noises don't go away, I'll buy you a new truck!

gwatt86

Reaction score
To be honest mine has sounded like that since the day I bought it. I always thought it was "off" too but whenever I hear a youtuber reviewing a 5th gen truck they all sound like that to me. Mine also sounds much quieter when it is hot and up to temp.

You asked for a pic, see this post on page 2:
I can smell exhaust near the front of the truck. I'm taking it in on Monday to get a seat frame replaced and passenger power fold mirror, I'll see if they can check it out since I'm only at 45K.

silver billet

Reaction score
You guys need to listen to me, I know what I'm talking about; turbos will without doubt quieten your exhaust leaks. Two, one on both the driver and passenger side, will absorb all sounds coming from the exhaust leaving the engine compartment and the cab dead quiet. If anyone adds turbos and there exhaust noises don't go away, I'll buy you a new truck!

If I wanted goofy turbo noises I'd buy a fart ford.

My brother's 4th gen hemi is definitely quieter than mine. Dunno if they changed something WRT exhaust on 5th gens or whether mine just has a leak and I'm hearing that. But it seems like all 5th gens have that same noisy sound 🤷‍♂️

silver billet

Reaction score
I can smell exhaust near the front of the truck. I'm taking it in on Monday to get a seat frame replaced and passenger power fold mirror, I'll see if they can check it out since I'm only at 45K.

Please keep us/me posted! Very curious what they say.

gwatt86

Reaction score
Please keep us/me posted! Very curious what they say.
Dropped it off this morning and explained what was going on. The service rep immediatly said what we all know, these are notorious for a broken stud on the heat shield or possibly a crack in the manifold. He started it up and leaned down by drivers side wheel and said "yup, sounds like the stud may be broken". He also acted like it would be covered with the power train since I'm at 45K. He said if it was one broken stud, they would actually replace all of them. Should know more by the end of the day.

gwatt86

Reaction score
Finally spoke with the dealer today. Turns out its the union flange between the converter and muffler and the bolts/nut broke off. I assume from rust as the car was owned in Michigan prior to me buying it. This is not covered by the power train warranty from Ram OR my extended warranty. I may try to fix myself or take it somewhere else. Dealer said they'd charge $400 so I'm guessing my local shop would charge close to half that much.

gwatt86

Reaction score
I found the broken bolt after I got the truck back last night. Looking on the Mopar website, I can't seem to find the bolts (seen as #9 in screenshot) to purchase. Any ideas where I can get these or what size they are so I can buy at the hardware store? I found the gasket, $12 on Mopar. Pretty sure I can do this job myself, not sure how hard it will be to get the broken bolts out, that might be the biggest challenge. You can see the gap in the pic below and also see more soot around that area since its not tight. Thanks!

Attachments

• unionflangebolt.jpg
    unionflangebolt.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 41
  • unionflange2.jpg
    unionflange2.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 39
  • unionflange3.jpg
    unionflange3.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 37

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found the broken bolt after I got the truck back last night. Looking on the Mopar website, I can't seem to find the bolts (seen as #9 in screenshot) to purchase. Any ideas where I can get these or what size they are so I can buy at the hardware store? I found the gasket, $12 on Mopar. Pretty sure I can do this job myself, not sure how hard it will be to get the broken bolts out, that might be the biggest challenge. You can see the gap in the pic below and also see more soot around that area since its not tight. Thanks!
People have gone to the hardware store to get same size nuts and bolts for that. Seems common on here.

2014.ram1500

Reaction score
@Finn5033 Thanks for your reasonable response.

I went and picked up the truck today because we need it. The final bill was $1,855.98 after tax. Here are the details for you:
View attachment 87927

Read that - it says both exhaust manifolds were cracked in the middle! I'm sorry guys, that is garbage quality in my book. I'm surprised I even have to say that or be an apologist for it. I was a conquest sale. I was lured to the Ram 1500 from European brands by the design of the new DT. But if Ram isn't going to stand behind obvious defects, I assure you we are one and done with the brand. I could not buy another $62,000 truck with the knowledge that a manufacturer will not take responsibility for their problems.
Still better than my Gen4 RAM 1500, which had 2 broken exhaust manifold studs/bolts (1 on passenger side and 1 on driver side). I noticed loud noise when mileage was 91k, but the problem definitely occurred before that. Cracked exhaust manifolds are easy to be replaced. To deal with broken studs, you inevitably need expertise (extract with tools or welding out) AND good luck to get them out from the engine. It seems RAM upgrade their studs/bolts but keep the manifold same as before. When I brought the truck to dealership. the mileage is under 5year/100k warranty (yes, for 2014 RAM) but the date didn't meet warranty eligibility (warranty expired on Dec 2019 and the repair on June 2021). Then, I myself had to spend 1305.21 for replacing exhaust manifold studs/bolts on both side.

Last edited:

2014.ram1500

Reaction score
why would they recall the truck for the few people who have experienced a cracked exhaust manifold? It doesnt effect driveability, just sounds awful. I get the whole cost issue, but I dont see them recalling the trucks over this. I think the back windows are without a doubt a more widespread issue. If they didnt recall the previous generations for broken exhaust manifold bolts, then I wouldnt expect any action on this either.
If that's related to safety, it is required by law to recall. To determine if leaked exhaust from manifold location is harmful to drivers and passengers, that's a government job though.

2014.ram1500

Reaction score
I know the warranty covered the bill but how much was the total cost of the repair? I’m surprised the guy on this thread got billed around 1800 which seems like they charged too much on the labor? 🤔
What did the dealer tell you as to why the manifolds cracked at low mileage?
You can replace exhaust manifold yourself with some basic tools. Just take off the wheel and unscrew some studs/bolts.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I replaced them with stainless steel bolts and washers. The size is M10x1.5. I went with 45mm length in case I want to add lock nuts, but I doubt they'll back out.

Reaction score
Hi,

We responded to your PM, please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.

Rob
Ram Cares
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn (purchased new) with 57K miles and BOTH exhaust manifolds are cracked! I've noticed the exhaust noise by the driver's door when I start cold, but it dissipates a bunch once the engine warms. Also, when I start cold, I can smell exhaust inside the cab (even with the windows shut) which is not healthy and could cause serious injury. I'm insisting they replace the cabin filter with the repair but the dealer says my extended warranty needs to cover the exhaust manifold replacement only. I'd like to know what the situation is with FCA because the service agent says they're seeing this issue more and more! Plus the truck's booklet does say FCA covers the power-train for 60K. I'd like some answers before paying a huge bill.

Stealthfxr

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn (purchased new) with 57K miles and BOTH exhaust manifolds are cracked! I've noticed the exhaust noise by the driver's door when I start cold, but it dissipates a bunch once the engine warms. Also, when I start cold, I can smell exhaust inside the cab (even with the windows shut) which is not healthy and could cause serious injury. I'm insisting they replace the cabin filter with the repair but the dealer says my extended warranty needs to cover the exhaust manifold replacement only. I'd like to know what the situation is with FCA because the service agent says they're seeing this issue more and more! Plus the truck's booklet does say FCA covers the power-train for 60K. I'd like some answers before paying a huge bill.
Cabin filter is on you to change. It will not stop exhaust fumes.

Users who are viewing this thread