5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple of questions for current owners

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I try to maneuver through this awful market, I have a couple of questions for you…
1. Any issues with the 12” UConnect? And is it worth the extra $$ over the 8.4”? Seems like when the ‘19s first came out there were a lot of issues which hopefully have been resolved.

2. ETorque…what is the general consensus on it? Yay or nay?
Thanks!!
1. 12 inch screen is great. The only negative IMO is the fact that the controls for the heated seats must be operated via menu vs physical buttons.

2. I have etorque. It has 2 functions: Start/stop and shift smoothing (supposedly also helps with off the line torque). My start/stop almost never engages but the smoothing function isn't noticeable....which is probably what you want.

Misc: I had a whistling issue that I ended up diagnosing and fixing myself after a month at the dealership.

Would I buy again given the other options? Yes, though the F150 was a close 2nd when I was shopping back in Feb/March.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've also got the ETorque and if I had to do it over I would IF the price was right. I think it was ~$700 when I bought mine. I really do enjoy it, especially at drive throughs in the fall-spring. It's awesome to have the truck shut off and be completely quiet and then to restart without vibration or noise - except for the Hemi "thrum" out of the exhaust. Never get tired of that.
The etorque is a $0 option now. No extra charge for it over the standard Hemi.

834k3r

Reaction score
While I try to maneuver through this awful market, I have a couple of questions for you…
1. Any issues with the 12” UConnect? And is it worth the extra $$ over the 8.4”? Seems like when the ‘19s first came out there were a lot of issues which hopefully have been resolved.

2. ETorque…what is the general consensus on it? Yay or nay?
Thanks!!
I have both on mine.

1. I personally like the 12" screen. I use CarPlay a lot, and when CarPlay is active, the screen basically splits in two; the top is for navigation or other apps, the bottom for audio control (both are configurable). I recommend getting a matte screen protector (I got mine off the Jungle-themed online retailer for cheap)--it saves fingerprints, scratches, and glare.

2. I don't mind eTorque. From my personal research and experience, its main use is to restart the engine while using the auto start/stop. This is important because other OEMs start/stop systems use the starter, which could wear it out faster. The eTorque is also supposed to provide extra low-end torque, but I personally haven't noticed a difference between trucks with or without eTorque.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have 12" and no issues. The folks are right about not having physical buttons, but you can drag some of the icons to stay on the bottom of the screen -AND- the seats and steering wheel controls pop up on the boot screen so you can turn them on immediately. Also, via remote start it will turn on seat heaters/steering wheel in the cold weather and the A/C and seat vents in the warm weather. There are times I use remote start when I'm only a few feet from the truck just to activate those things...

I bought used and the 12" was a "nice to have" feature for me, not a "must have"....however I am very happy that my truck has it.

Quint

Reaction score
I opted for a truck with the 8.4" screen. I immediately regretted it in the day or so after purchase. However, once I drove it more I realized that I really do like the 8.4" screen and don't miss having a 12" at all. I do like having the knobs and buttons available. I hate searching menus for stuff. The only thing that I wish is that I could go split screen for navigation and music. However, since Apple CarPlay is mediocre* at best, I tend to just connect via bluetooth so not having the split 12" screen is no longer an issue.

* I said that CarPlay is mediocre, because at least on mine, 50% of the time I try to connect my phone to use Google Maps or Waze it screws up the GPS. Typically that means that the screen freezes until I disconnect. Reconnecting and disconnecting only fixes it sometimes. The other issue is that I've noticed connecting my phone to CarPlay brings enables some kind of volume limiter on the Ram. These stereos suck already so if I was planning to listen to music with the windows down (at higher volume), I can't do it with the phone plugged in.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
* I said that CarPlay is mediocre, because at least on mine, 50% of the time I try to connect my phone to use Google Maps or Waze it screws up the GPS. Typically that means that the screen freezes until I disconnect. Reconnecting and disconnecting only fixes it sometimes. The other issue is that I've noticed connecting my phone to CarPlay brings enables some kind of volume limiter on the Ram. These stereos suck already so if I was planning to listen to music with the windows down (at higher volume), I can't do it with the phone plugged in.
Hmmm...I've not had any such issues and use CarPlay all the time with Waze...like every day I drive the truck I use it to keep tabs on the police, which is kinda silly because I hardly ever go fast enough for them to even notice, much less care. Also, I notice the sound quality is WAY better when connected directly vs. bluetooth. I wonder why we have such different experiences...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Also, via remote start it will turn on seat heaters/steering wheel in the cold weather and the A/C and seat vents in the warm weather. There are times I use remote start when I'm only a few feet from the truck just to activate those things...
This is true, but only for the driver's seat. And even then it might not be at the desired setting (Hi for heat and low for ventilation). It would be nice if there was a way to change the default level for those.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1) I wanted the 8.4” screen, but ended up with 12” screen. The gps is painfully slow to enter addresses. It’s bright at night even when dimmed. However it’s so easy to use and see.

2) eTorque give you an extra 16 hp/49 lb-ft but also reduces towing capacity by
a ~70 lb payload hit

Several threads on engine stalling out and dying while driving, all eTorque.

if you plan on keeping it past 80K then you have a $1k+ generator and $1k+ 48V battery to worry about replacing.

Hard pass for me

ben b

Reaction score
I have the 12 inch screen. I am also one of the few people to have the 6 cylinder, which happens to have e-torque.

I love the big screen. It makes parking super easy since I see simultaneous large images of the truck both from the rear camera and bird's eye view. Not sure if the 8.4" screen has the same ability.

E-torque seemed like a good idea in the abstract. But I don't believe it really improves milage. Nor do I think it reduces pollution much unless you spend a huge amount of time idling in traffic. I do believe it adds a lot of complexity. Just read all the posts about the mysterious shut down problem that you see on this site. I would avoid etorque if I had the choice.

Best of luck with your decision. No matter what you select, you will love your Ram!

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the 8.4 screen because I hate the way the 12 inch screen looks, which to me looks like someone glued a tablet to the dashboard. This is an aesthetics thing, of course, and lots of people (as you can see here) love how it looks and functions. So there's no real right answer there. I also much prefer having knobs and buttons than having to search for crap on the screen, which I find incredibly distracting while driving and difficult to do. Maybe if you're 25 and it's second nature to you from being born with a cell phone in your hand from the womb, it's just the opposite, but I remember (and liked) when everything was either a knob, switch, button or lever. You can do that kind of stuff still looking at the road.

E-torque: I didn't get it because I didn't want it. I don't want my truck to shut off unless I push the button, which itself was something I had to wrap my head around. Between the shifter knob and no keys, a couple of times I've shut this truck off with it still in gear and also forgot the fob in the console. E-torque is another personal preference. Some guys love it. There's no right answer.

Three huge things I love about the truck, other than the usual stuff like it rides like a Cadillac:
1. Automatic headlights
2. Automatic parking brake
3. Remote start.

The first two are awesome as you get older. On my Titan I killed the parking brake several times because it's not obvious like the old pull handle brakes that I've always had, and I would forget that I set it. Same thing with headlights; I've run down a few car batteries forgetting they were on. And the remote start is just freaking fantastic when the weather sucks :)

Tranzella

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies so far. This has been extremely helpful…this forum is great. From what I’ve seen on the lots locally, 99% of the ‘21 Rebels have eTorque. If I find one with the rest of the options I want, and a dealership that is willing to work with me, I’ll probably pull the trigger. I don’t like my chances though. If I end up ordering a ‘22, I’ll most likely skip the eTorque. I won’t be towing anything anytime soon, and I usually keep cars for 10 years or so, I don’t want the extra complexity/headaches.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Nay on etorque. I wouldn’t get it again. The stop/start is pretty seamless but unnecessary. Not sure what the benefit is and really hope I don’t have any issues with it down the road.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nay on etorque. I wouldn’t get it again. The stop/start is pretty seamless but unnecessary. Not sure what the benefit is and really hope I don’t have any issues with it down the road.
Same here. I won't keep it past 80k, so mot a worry for warranty. Within 3 days of getting it I tried to get one without eT because I don't like how it acts the same way engine braking does when decelerating at times. I ended up keeping it and it doesn't bother me much anymore. But I REALLY hated it the first four or five months. I wouldn't get it again if given the choice. I do like how it helps smooth shifting and actually like this implementation of start/stop.

I like the 8.4" screen but would get navigation next time, especially with UCONNECT5 on 2022 MY with TomTom navigation.

Quint

Reaction score
Hmmm...I've not had any such issues and use CarPlay all the time with Waze...like every day I drive the truck I use it to keep tabs on the police, which is kinda silly because I hardly ever go fast enough for them to even notice, much less care. Also, I notice the sound quality is WAY better when connected directly vs. bluetooth. I wonder why we have such different experiences...
Great question. I discovered it this summer before installing new speakers. If I had the volume cranked up around 30, even listening to the radio, the moment I plug in my iphone the overall volume would turn down. It seems like plugging in turns on some kind of volume limiter. This happens when listening to either the phone, radio, or USB stick whenever you plug the phone in. When you unplug the volume goes back up again. Strange. I checked all of the settings on my phone and don't see any volume limitations on.

834k3r

Reaction score
Software on these is probably one of the best in the business -- super fast.
This matches my experience, too.

50% of the time I try to connect my phone to use Google Maps or Waze it screws up the GPS.
I've not used Google Maps, but Waze doesn't play well with CarPlay, IMHO. I've never had it work well in my rig.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Great question. I discovered it this summer before installing new speakers. If I had the volume cranked up around 30, even listening to the radio, the moment I plug in my iphone the overall volume would turn down. It seems like plugging in turns on some kind of volume limiter. This happens when listening to either the phone, radio, or USB stick whenever you plug the phone in. When you unplug the volume goes back up again. Strange. I checked all of the settings on my phone and don't see any volume limitations on.
You're right, it is plugged into a volume limiter when you plug your phone in. It's your phone itself. Turn up the volume on your phone and the music gets louder.

BoDoP

Reaction score
1. Have the 12 inch screen and I find it is terrific. I have had 2 updates in 4 months to the Uconnect 4 and have had zero issues. Use Android Auto 90% of the time so the size and split screen are great to have.

2. Also have the etorque on the 5.7. I find it okay and have had no issues with it. Other than losing the cold air in the summer until it starts the engine to kick in the A/C to keep things cool. But it is noticeable. It is fairly smooth on Start and a bit more more noticeable on Stop. I personally would not buy a truck because of it or not buy because of the lack of it. Ordering I would likely get it again I feel.

Users who are viewing this thread