5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could duraliner make ramboxes better insulators? (icebox)

costaricarams

Reaction score
Just wondering. Since I would love to store fish from fishing trips in there.
Or... are there any iceboxes out there that could fit within the rambox? Tall and slim.
I know I could just bring a large cooler and throw it in the bed, just wondering if I could consider the ramboxes as an option, including tailgating of course :)

Cheers!

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They’re not that big unless your fishing for goldfish like what you see at a state fair. Plus awkward shape would make finding a cooler to fit almost impossible. You can make a flat floor panel for example to set a tool bag or two inside but thats going to be useless for a cooler. For beverages yeah you could make it work just by using the ramboxes by themselves stuffed with ice but at that point you’ll be better using something with good insulation like an actually cooler if you wanna hold ice.

Cliff notes.. just stick with the tried and true method… cooler in the bed no need to reinvent the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Flezx

Reaction score
I have a '22 1500. I used radiant barrier insulation on the walls and lid. I fixed it to the walls of the rambox with double-stick tape (in case I wanted to remove it later) and sealed the seams with aluminum foil tape. It's probably not quite as good as a Yeti. I haven't road tested it yet. I plan to put two gallon jugs of ice in the wells and stack drinks around them. Here's my materials list:

Smart Shield Insulation
~ $38.00

HitLights Double Sided Tape
~ $18.00

Duct Tape Heavy Duty Waterproof, Premium Aluminum Foil Tape
~ $7.00

Total: ~ $63.00 + tax

I "pie cut" the insulation over the drain plugs. I also plan to dump in a few bags of ice after the blocks melt to see how long it lasts and how it holds up to the melt water.

Attachments

• 20240811_112911.jpg
    20240811_112911.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240811_112933.jpg
    20240811_112933.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240811_112946.jpg
    20240811_112946.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 5

dajogejr

Reaction score
I’ve used my Ramboxes for a tailgate in the past in a pinch…i.e., forgot to grab a cooler on the way out.
Adequate, as is, at best. In a pinch…yep. Fact they have drain plugs is nice.
But I’d take a proper cooler any day instead.
I don’t think my jumper cables, tie downs, trailer hitch, and air compressor need to be kept ice cold…:)

Users who are viewing this thread