5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cost for Navigation and updates?

Kapnbill

Reaction score
For those that have purchased Rams...what extra costs are there for the actual Nav software service if you buy the nav package? Do you have to pay an activation fee or periodic service fee? How about costs for upgrades?
Looking at navigation.com I saw mention of a $595 activation fee for Uconnect It didn't mention the 12”. That’s a huge extra cost that the dealer hasn't mentioned, and that doesn't include updates.
Are your new vehicles including the activation or is it an add-on?

D

Deleted member103

Kapnbill said:
For those that have purchased Rams...what extra costs are there for the actual Nav software service if you buy the nav package? Do you have to pay an activation fee or periodic service fee? How about costs for upgrades?
Looking at navigation.com I saw mention of a $595 activation fee for Uconnect It didn't mention the 12”. That’s a huge extra cost that the dealer hasn't mentioned, and that doesn't include updates.
Do I need a lawyer now ? Can I plead the 5th ? Or does the NDA I was "forced" to sign "deregulate" all this ?
Which is why I WON"T be "doubling down with RAM's NAV, at any cost, when I already have my 10.5" iPad Pro WITH 3 (yes 3 different) NAVIGATION APS ( 1 was free, 1 was < $5 and 1 was < $8) ! 2 of the 3 are for Off Road Terrain Stuff ! That's my solution . I like saving where I can !
1f44d.png
ps; upgrades are either free or Minimally more !

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had NAV in my 2015 Ram and have never paid a fee. You might at some point have the option of adding updated maps I guess, but I have never been notified of any new maps and it works just as good as the day I bought it.

I found this in the list of standard equipment for the Limited

• 5-Year SiriusXM® Traffic Service
  • 5-Year SiriusXM® Travel Link Service
  • SiriusXM® Traffic Plus
Nothing mentioned about the NAV subscription having an expiration date

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
All the 8.4 Radios actually have Navigation, that $595 fee is to activate the Navigation on non NAV equipped radios. If you order/buy one that does come with Navigation it's already activated and good to go.

The only add one would be SiriusXM Guardian if you wanted to pay for that and map updates I'm not too sure on the cost as I haven't done one. There is no monthly subscription fee to have Navigation though.

Kapnbill

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Just spoke to a different dealer who said updates, if you want them are $150 every 2 years.

D

Deleted member103

Kapnbill said:
Thanks for the help. Just spoke to a different dealer who said updates, if you want them are $150 every 2 years.
That seems similar to what I've read and heard from some sales people ( who aren't the brightest bulbs in the dealership ) .
You don't have to update, however a few years down the road, when you revisit a Place you may find the Nav. System map could be DIFFERENT to the Actual Location you are at, or the Exit # could be different or . . . ! But, If you've prior experience with RAM NAV. or just think you may love having it as opposed to buying a Tablet or iPad ( at 2 to 3x the Nav. Option / to start without updates ), then Go For It !
Here's some General Free Advice -- I've Pos. & Neg. experiences, so -- ALWAYS FIND & READ THE "FINE PRINT," ask THEM lots of "stupid" questions ( not literally ) until YOU understand to YOUR satisfaction ! If you can't get to the FACTS, just "walk away" - that's free too, and there is ALWAYS someone else who will be more "in-tune" with your vibe ! that's been my experience over the years . . . hope that helps .
Remember this, if nothing else . . . my Dear Mother used to ALWAYS (literally) say, "God Helps Those Who Helps themselves !" I say Amen to that !
263a.png
1f607.png

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are basically two types of nav: over the air and local. OTA (how most cell phones work today) require connectivity to download the local map. Those are the subscription services most commonly encountered. The other is the local nav where you have all the maps in your car/phone. You occasionally get offers to update your maps because they are not OTA updated but are static in your car/phone BUT you do not have to update them.
I currently drive a 2011 Mercedes and every year I get a post card from the dealer offering new maps for $199. I laugh because I use a phone-based OTA nav system so why would I update the static maps for $200 when they will already be out of date?
Local maps are handy when out of cell data range but otherwise is a profit center for car manufacturers. They are on the way out due to Android Auto and car play since so many rely on their cell phones for navigation anyway.

Certain Ram models have local nav where the maps are stored in the trucks system. The subscriptions are to update those maps. If you use a phone-based nav system you won't need them and never have to upgrade.

D

Deleted member103

Edwards said:
There are basically two types of nav: over the air and local. OTA (how most cell phones work today) require connectivity to download the local map. Those are the subscription services most commonly encountered. The other is the local nav where you have all the maps in your car/phone. You occasionally get offers to update your maps because they are not OTA updated but are static in your car/phone BUT you do not have to update them.
I currently drive a 2011 Mercedes and every year I get a post card from the dealer offering new maps for $199. I laugh because I use a phone-based OTA nav system so why would I update the static maps for $200 when they will already be out of date?
Local maps are handy when out of cell data range but otherwise is a profit center for car manufacturers. They are on the way out due to Android Auto and car play since so many rely on their cell phones for navigation anyway.

Certain Ram models have local nav where the maps are stored in the trucks system. The subscriptions are to update those maps. If you use a phone-based nav system you won't need them and never have to upgrade.
Sure ! I should of added that the iPAD I use certainly isn't Free, unless you can find Connectivity AND BE OFF ROAD TOO ! that is rare, but not entirely ! Some very nice "close to Civilization" Off Road-able areas in USA ! However for all the Other times is why I've Combined my Phone Plan with my iPAD at a nicely reduced rate ( a Retired Military/Senior thing ) so they offered at Verizon . But Wait there's MORE . . . I get all this for a low low cost of $72/mo. (all inclusive) .
263a.png
1f44d.png

76rich

Reaction score
You don't have any fees associated with NAV unless you want to update to the latest mapping. I got an email the end of April from FCA asking to update my 2015 Ram and my 2015 Challenger. Instead of updating, I just ordered a new Challenger with Shaker hood and a new Limited Ram. I will say as a general rule, their NAV has been pretty good. The email would knock $50 off the update, so only $99.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
76rich said:
You don't have any fees associated with NAV unless you want to update to the latest mapping. I got an email the end of April from FCA asking to update my 2015 Ram and my 2015 Challenger. Instead of updating, I just ordered a new Challenger with Shaker hood and a new Limited Ram. I will say as a general rule, their NAV has been pretty good.
that post made me laugh.
263a.png
**** on it- why would i clean my truck-ill just by a new one.
1f609.png

D

Deleted member103

mikemcfarland said:
that post made me laugh.
263a.png
**** on it- why would i clean my truck-ill just buy a new one.
1f609.png
That post made me not laugh
1f615.png
**** on it, yes - It's the . . . "instead of updating, i just ordered . . ." part that bugs me, but hey it's still Freaky Friday even though it's getting closer to MY "rack time" ! Have a great Friday nite out on the town everyone !
263a.png

76rich

Reaction score
LOU.2 said:
That post made me not laugh
1f615.png
**** on it, yes - It's the . . . "instead of updating, i just ordered . . ." part that bugs me, but hey it's still Freaky Friday even though it's getting closer to MY "rack time" ! Have a great Friday nite out on the town everyone !
263a.png
It was a joke! We get new vehicles every three years and it was time up on the 2015's. Get a life!

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
76rich said:
It was a joke! We get new vehicles every three years and it was time up on the 2015's. Get a life!
Lou.2 is a sensitive Navy boy. You will understand soon. He's in his late 40's and his sundowners is kicking in.

D

Deleted member103

alacombe said:
Lou.2 is a sensitive Navy boy. You will understand soon. He's in his late 40's and his sundowners is kicking in.
thank you 'AL' but I don't require excused be made for my words, EVER ! I am a "fully functioning" adult (67 by the way and approaching the end of my "life cycle" ! Truth be told I was a bit perturbed, by the gentleman's one comment . Not angry or resentful . . . just couldn't get a grasp at the "funniness" of flaunting (as I "read" it, in MY mind !) the ability to just 'order 2 very expensive new replacement vehicles for what seems like a frivolous matter, and letting all of know it ! IF it were truly intended as being 'funny," perhaps an emoji or 2 to "help" inflect a "verbal-tonnage," otherwise not implied ! We all "Read" things differently time to time when the "Obvious" isn't so obvious ! So, I do apologize to the gentleman for it's obvious to me NOW that I had angered him - thus the - "Get A Life" response - totally uncalled for by the way, I feel .
I do believe I ended with one of these . . .
263a.png

ps; I will take some time off here, to reflect and seek some inner guidance to give me strength in the future ! For the most part my entries have tried to be Positive and insightful and Funny as well as inquisitive and even personal - about me ! AL, I suppose I am perhaps a bit "sensitive" - must come with the Pisces aspect of who I am . . . so Mum would usually say to me when I was feeling Down ! See now you know even more about me than before ! I've always lived my life as if it were an "Open Book" - not afraid or ashamed of where I came from or the life I've led

ps2; as to why I was denied access to a post today is unclear to me - and yes that does "hurt" . . . so If I owe you an apology Jared, consider this it, Goodbye for now . . . I may lurk in the background without comments or may just go away - not sure ! Be Good ALL of you and be kind to each other .
icon_cry.gif

76rich

Reaction score
Awe Lou.2, relax and don't be so hard on yourself. By the way I'm an adult too (67). Soon to be 68. I didn't realize I needed to add an
263a.png
when I felt it was an obvious pun. We are car people. We have two drivers and 4 classic cars that we show on weekends. I have learned in life that "very expensive" is relative to ones choices and position in life. My wife and I both worked hard in life to accumilate what we have and we have also found retirement can be very short, so we are probably making the best of it. Take a deep breath Lou.2 and I apologize for any hurt feelings.

D

Deleted member 85

Jared Balfour said:
All the 8.4 Radios actually have Navigation, that $595 fee is to activate the Navigation on non NAV equipped radios. If you order/buy one that does come with Navigation it's already activated and good to go.

The only add one would be SiriusXM Guardian if you wanted to pay for that and map updates I'm not too sure on the cost as I haven't done one. There is no monthly subscription fee to have Navigation though.
Actually Jared, 4C does not allow downloadable Navigation any longer. This was and still is an issue right now, as the communication from FCA came after we placed our orders for the initial 2018 MY vehicles. A 2018 MY 4C Uconnect that does not have navigation will never have navigation. Uconnect 3C allowed it, but as of this moment, the 2018 old-body style Jeep Cherokee is the last model to allow downloadable Nav.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
BobbiBigWheels said:
Actually Jared, 4C does not allow downloadable Navigation any longer. This was and still is an issue right now, as the communication from FCA came after we placed our orders for the initial 2018 MY vehicles. A 2018 MY 4C Uconnect that does not have navigation will never have navigation. Uconnect 3C allowed it, but as of this moment, the 2018 old-body style Jeep Cherokee is the last model to allow downloadable Nav.
Good to know, thanks for clearing that up.
1f44d.png

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOU.2 said:
thank you 'AL' but I don't require excused be made for my words, EVER ! I am a "fully functioning" adult (67 by the way and approaching the end of my "life cycle" ! Truth be told I was a bit perturbed, by the gentleman's one comment . Not angry or resentful . . . just couldn't get a grasp at the "funniness" of flaunting (as I "read" it, in MY mind !) the ability to just 'order 2 very expensive new replacement vehicles for what seems like a frivolous matter, and letting all of know it ! IF it were truly intended as being 'funny," perhaps an emoji or 2 to "help" inflect a "verbal-tonnage," otherwise not implied ! We all "Read" things differently time to time when the "Obvious" isn't so obvious ! So, I do apologize to the gentleman for it's obvious to me NOW that I had angered him - thus the - "Get A Life" response - totally uncalled for by the way, I feel .
I do believe I ended with one of these . . .
263a.png

ps; I will take some time off here, to reflect and seek some inner guidance to give me strength in the future ! For the most part my entries have tried to be Positive and insightful and Funny as well as inquisitive and even personal - about me ! AL, I suppose I am perhaps a bit "sensitive" - must come with the Pisces aspect of who I am . . . so Mum would usually say to me when I was feeling Down ! See now you know even more about me than before ! I've always lived my life as if it were an "Open Book" - not afraid or ashamed of where I came from or the life I've led

ps2; as to why I was denied access to a post today is unclear to me - and yes that does "hurt" . . . so If I owe you an apology Jared, consider this it, Goodbye for now . . . I may lurk in the background without comments or may just go away - not sure ! Be Good ALL of you and be kind to each other .
icon_cry.gif

Lol dude this is a truck forum not a diary relax take a deep breath and chill out!! Hardcore chill out

Mrgreg2

Reaction score
Why are we paying for updates when we were told that everything is updated through UConnect!!!

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Why are we paying for updates when we were told that everything is updated through UConnect!!!
We do get OTA updates for Uconnect but that doesn't include NAV . As far as I know NAV has always been separate .

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online