5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Correct tire pressure please?

RAM1500BLKEd

Reaction score
I recently replaced my stock Goodyear Tires (285/45/R22) with Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 (285/55/R22). The stock tires run at 36 PSI. The mechanic put 41 PSI in my new tires. 41 PSI looks low by the naked eye.... Can someone tell me what my correct tire pressure should be? Thanks in advance.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Typically the sticker on the door jamb is the recommended best ride for the truck. The tire itself has a max limit on it. Since different tires are used on many trucks, go somewhere in between. Mostly keep them even from side to side. The front tires can be a little lower than the rear and it will track better. The truck is heavy so it is not a big deal.

Light vehicles like a 2 door jeep handle funny if the tires are at max. If they look over inflated you can do the Chalk test. Mark across the tread in a few spots and drive around a smooth flatsurface like a parking garage. If you have Chalk on the outer tread, it is over inflated and ridding on the middle. I am not sure that test applied to ah heavy full sized truck.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
You've changed tires from stock so now it's a bit of a guessing game. I would run them at the current pressure and see how they wear. An old trick is to use chalk or a tire grease crayon and mark about a 2" wide swath across the tread then drive it and check the contact.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Falken Wildpeaks on my Laramie have a 51 PSI Max Pressure. The truck
is currently at 32 psi in the morning and 38 when they warm up. I want to
raise them to 43 to see if it helps lower the Rolling Resistance for better fuel
Mileage on my EcoDiesel.

Malodave

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For my Nitto Terra Grappler G2s, I found a support/contact link on their site. This lead me to a form where I could upload a picture of my weights/tire pressure label from the driver side along with the size of my Nittos, and they replied back with the recommended pressure (42 psi in my case).

Other manufacturers may offer something similar.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Typically the sticker on the door jamb is the recommended best ride for the truck. The tire itself has a max limit on it. Since different tires are used on many trucks, go somewhere in between. Mostly keep them even from side to side. The front tires can be a little lower than the rear and it will track better. The truck is heavy so it is not a big deal.

Light vehicles like a 2 door jeep handle funny if the tires are at max. If they look over inflated you can do the Chalk test. Mark across the tread in a few spots and drive around a smooth flatsurface like a parking garage. If you have Chalk on the outer tread, it is over inflated and ridding on the middle. I am not sure that test applied to ah heavy full sized truck.
You want the pressures the other way around. Less pressure in the rear, more in the front. All the heavy stuff is in the front of the truck. Rebel recommended is 10 psi difference, which is also what I ran on my old truck. On my stock Duratracs I run 52 front, 42 rear which is 3 less than the door sticker.

@RAM1500BLKEd, it also depends on if you have AT vs road tires, E rated vs P rated, etc. Typically the bigger, heavier AT tires require more pressure so the sidewalls don't bow out. You just need to find a balance of comfort, tire wear, and handling if you're not sure the pressure.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
After switching from a 275/65 r18 to a 275/70 r18 E rated tire I had to lower my tire pressure as the center tread was worn. I have the fronts at 36 and the rears at 32 (unless there is a load). Even at 32 in the rear there is barely any tire deflection, I tried 30 but on cold mornings it would hit 28-29 and set off the TPMS, which wouldn't go away unless airing back up to 36

Einstein376

Reaction score
WIth motorcycle tires, we always looked for no more than a 10% increase from cold to warm tires as a judge for the base air pressure. Does the level of increase matter in LT tires?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I recently replaced my stock Goodyear Tires (285/45/R22) with Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 (285/55/R22). The stock tires run at 36 PSI. The mechanic put 41 PSI in my new tires. 41 PSI looks low by the naked eye.... Can someone tell me what my correct tire pressure should be? Thanks in advance.
First off, like mentioned a few times above, the pressures listed on the door sticker are specifically for the type of tire the manufacturer installed when the truck was built. You now have a completely different type of tire, so the door sticker numbers are out the window. The tires you got have a max load rating of 3525 lbs @ 80psi/ each (cold). Obviously you don’t have 7050lbs of weight on front or rear axle. Those tires will each carry 44lbs per 1psi, so you would determine what weight you normally have on your front and rear axles, use those PSIs as a starting point, then chalk test like described in posts above.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
WIth motorcycle tires, we always looked for no more than a 10% increase from cold to warm tires as a judge for the base air pressure. Does the level of increase matter in LT tires?
Not too much, but mine usually increase 3-4 psi from cold to warm. Motorcycle performance changes drastically with even a 2 psi change, whereas trucks you won't even notice that change for almost all situations.

WVMTNRAM

Reaction score
Do you have any pics of your Geolandars? I am considering this tire in the same size but I can’t seem to find a photo online anywhere. Thanks
As far as the tire pressure goes....chalk test.

Quint

Reaction score
My Falken Wildpeaks have a max of 51psi. I run them at 45psi in the summer but lower in the winter, more around 40psi.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I've done that. Used cheap crayon( good ones wont leave a mark ) in the tread, and used vaseline stripes and ran over a chunk of posterboard.

My fronts are at 34 psi and my rears are 30psi. Had to edit the tpms limits for the rear to not bother me. so far, perfect even tire wear. on door jamb pressure, I was seeing center wear by 5,000 miles.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Iv'e kept the psi in my nitto ridge grapplers 305/55R20 116Q at stock door panel settings of 37psi and they've been all good. wear/ride

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/