5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cornering fog lights delimma..

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When the high beams are on, the fogs are turned off but if you take a turn while the high beams are on, the corresponding fog light will turn on.

I always run my fog lights, it fills the gap if you will and has saved me from hitting some animals, mainly deer.

Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that the highbeams (because they're auto) would turn off under a certain MPH, which would correspond to when the cornering lights function as well. (Ex: High beams turn off under 15mph, cornering lights stop above 15MPH)

EDIT: Just saw you have a Big Horn, are the high beams auto like the Laramie and up?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that the highbeams (because they're auto) would turn off under a certain MPH, which would correspond to when the cornering lights function as well. (Ex: High beams turn off under 15mph, cornering lights stop above 15MPH)

EDIT: Just saw you have a Big Horn, are the high beams auto like the Laramie and up?

LEDs but no auto on the high beams on my Big Horn.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I googled it. Im half right.

Yellow is less stress on an eye, and doesnt create the glare.

White will create the glare, c9nfirming the obvious.

What i didnt know is that its a fog lights PATTERN it gives that determines if its gonna cut through that fog for you.

And blue light is one of the hardest for human eyes to process quickly.

But my LED fogs, like the headlamps, are bluish white. So counyer intuitive there.

But may be designed with a rock star fog beating pattern.

So thats that.

I’m a fisherman and find myself up early and out often so I get to see my fair share of fog, especially around water and rolling hills. While I always use my fog lights in general, it is at these times I find myself turning the fogs off. Like you said, it creates a wall that impedes vision.

RAMblin Rebel 1776

Reaction score
I am not a fan of this feature because if you upgrade your fog lights with lights that put out more lumens then when turning you could possibly blind on coming traffic. I only use my fog lights in super dark or bad conditions. I wish they gave the option to disable

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I am not a fan of this feature because if you upgrade your fog lights with lights that put out more lumens then when turning you could possibly blind on coming traffic. I only use my fog lights in super dark or bad conditions. I wish they gave the option to disable
You should be fine. They’re too low to blind anyone.

YellowSled

Reaction score
^^^^ I was going to say the same thing. They are not angled up to blind anyone. zero concern for that even with brighter lights

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like having the cornering lights. The first car I ever had with them was a 1984 Mercury Cougar. So they've been around for a while. I can understand wanting to disable it if you're making the fog lights brighter. I wonder if you can disable it with alphaobd?

Reaction score
Yeah i figured that much out but just thought maybe they had a user defined setting that I missed. I wonder if this is standard on all models with fog lights or just on the Limited? Funny fact.. local dealer didn't even know this was a feature that existed.
I have a Laramie equipped with the LED lighting package and the functionality is the same as you are describing. I think it is a big help at night!

OkieSooner94

Reaction score
Update: if you want to tap into your fog lights to power a light bar, your light bar will come on when you turn.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine not only comes on when cornering, but also sounds a fog horn, and a little guy jumps out of the grill and makes sure the coast is clear...part of the advanced, advanced safety group.

Users who are viewing this thread