5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coolant temp

Ksilva211

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has paid attention to this or not but my coolant temp jumps a lot when I first get in and start driving. Like from 105-160 in a couple seconds. Then while driving normally it will fluctuate from 195-220 pretty quick. Is this normal?

Flot

Reaction score
Ksilva211 said:
Not sure if anyone has paid attention to this or not but my coolant temp jumps a lot when I first get in and start driving. Like from 105-160 in a couple seconds. Then while driving normally it will fluctuate from 195-220 pretty quick. Is this normal?
Not normal on the previous gen, although that first jump could just be the thermostat opening up. . To be that sounds like you may have an air bubble in the system/coolant low? Mayb they relocated the sensor which is causing more unusual readings.

Ksilva211

Reaction score
I feel like 220 is very high for a coolant temp? Does anyone know what normal operating temp is on these things?

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ksilva211 said:
I feel like 220 is very high for a coolant temp? Does anyone know what normal operating temp is on these things?
Quick google search shows consensus is from high 190s to low 220s with the truck unloaded (for previous gen 5.7L).

Ksilva211

Reaction score
I think there may be air in my cooling system. I usually remote start the truck but today I got in and started it and it sounded like water running behind dash. I’m guessing into heater core. I’m not sure how to bleed this system or even check the coolant level? The overflow bottle is black and hidden behind plastics. Any ideas? Dont want to be running this thing low on coolant

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ksilva211 said:
I think there may be air in my cooling system. I usually remote start the truck but today I got in and started it and it sounded like water running behind dash. I’m guessing into heater core. I’m not sure how to bleed this system or even check the coolant level? The overflow bottle is black and hidden behind plastics. Any ideas? Dont want to be running this thing low on coolant
Pop the cap on the overflow bottle. I've seen a plastic dipstick on some in the past.... not sure if the Ram has one or not.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Ksilva211 said:
@firecadet613 is correct, if you pop the cap there is a dipstick for the coolant level in the bottle.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ksilva211 said:
bring it to the dealer? its under warranty

Ksilva211

Reaction score
Thanks guys it does have a dipstick. Never even thought to look for that. Most vehicles just have a clear bottle with lines

NortherLee

Reaction score
Had my wife write down some numbers for KSIL211 while we were out driving our 2019 Ram. It's a 4x4 with the 5.7L hemi, auto trans, and 3.21 rear end. We had three 100 Lb. bales of hay in the bed, driving uphill at 35 MPH. Time of day was 18:45, humidity ~50%, and ambient air temp was 75° F. Round trip to feed store was 15 miles. Ram was fully at normal operating temp. The numbers were observed during the last 5 miles of our trip.Coolant Temp: 206° F (did not fluctuate more than 2° F for 5 miles)Transmission Temp: 183° F (held steady)Oil Temp: 212° F (varied about the same as coolant temp over 5 miles)Oil Pressure: 52 PSI at any speed above idle during drive. (48 PSI near idle)

Ksilva211

Reaction score
thanks for the update! It’s good to have something to compare my trucks numbers to. Also a little update on this I went back to the dealer and I had air in the system apparently. Not sure how or why but it seems to be better now but it’s only been a few days.

Mjben1977

Reaction score
Ksilva211 said:
This is normal with the 2019..... I test drove several after I bought mine to check it out.

Mjben1977

Reaction score
Bleed air from system for about 20 mins, "Run engine with radiator cap off" once up to temp. Test drove for an hour. 20 mins on highway 65-80 mph, temp 203-206 deg F, 20 mins in city 212-215 deg F. Better than the wild swings before 203-225 deg F.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bleed air from system for about 20 mins, "Run engine with radiator cap off" once up to temp. Test drove for an hour. 20 mins on highway 65-80 mph, temp 203-206 deg F, 20 mins in city 212-215 deg F. Better than the wild swings before 203-225 deg F.

Did you just take the cap off and start it up? I've seen in the past when doing this it'll burp out a lot of coolant.

Stuck in traffic for a bit today then grabbed my boat to bring it home from the cover shop and it was 224-226 for a while. Didn't look at the regular gauge to see how far up it moved though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/