5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convince a car guy to buy a 1500 (please)

FlyGuy

Reaction score
Currently a longtime "car guy" - with a 2018 Camaro SS and a 2016 Cherokee 2wd, which is my first non-sedan/coupe (keeping the Camaro, trading in the Cherokee). I love the Camaro and the Cherokee but man these Ram 1500s have my blood pumping. It's time to trade in the Cherokee so I've trying to figure out my next move.

I've read the enthusiast reviews and I don't think I've ever heard the type of praise I've heard for the 2019-2020 models - I've checked them out in the dealer lot but wanted to throw it out to the Forum before I get serious. I'm reading things like "it's a Mercedes S-class and a pickup all in one" and that sounds great.

My uses: driving "up north Michigan" for fishing (hence the "FlyGuy") with mild off-roading to get to the good spots by the river. Often sandy and unpaved so I'm looking at 4wd, which I've never owned before. I currently don't tow anything but I guess I'd like that capability to tow, say, a 10-foot jonboat. I would like to keep this vehicle for 8-10 years.

I have 2 kayaks so any advice about how to carry those is welcome - I'm getting tired of hoisting those onto the top of the Cherokee. The beds appear too short for them

It's just me and my wife and a dog, we are in our 50s, so don't need the big back seat very often but the Club Cab seems too small for the rare times someone would be riding there.

I've read these are quiet on the highway (is that true?) and I love a good stereo so that's important to me.

Do people find the V6 adequate in power or do most prefer the Hemi?

So I'm wondering if there are any things that you all think I should ponder as I approach this purchase given your experiences. Do you all love these trucks or are there other trucks I should look at? I don't care for the Fords, I would consider a Silverardo, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks all.

FlyGuy

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Currently a longtime "car guy" - with a 2018 Camaro SS and a 2016 Cherokee 2wd, which is my first non-sedan/coupe (keeping the Camaro, trading in the Cherokee). I love the Camaro and the Cherokee but man these Ram 1500s have my blood pumping. It's time to trade in the Cherokee so I've trying to figure out my next move.

I've read the enthusiast reviews and I don't think I've ever heard the type of praise I've heard for the 2019-2020 models - I've checked them out in the dealer lot but wanted to throw it out to the Forum before I get serious. I'm reading things like "it's a Mercedes S-class and a pickup all in one" and that sounds great.

My uses: driving "up north Michigan" for fishing (hence the "FlyGuy") with mild off-roading to get to the good spots by the river. Often sandy and unpaved so I'm looking at 4wd, which I've never owned before. I currently don't tow anything but I guess I'd like that capability to tow, say, a 10-foot jonboat. I would like to keep this vehicle for 8-10 years.

I have 2 kayaks so any advice about how to carry those is welcome - I'm getting tired of hoisting those onto the top of the Cherokee. The beds appear too short for them

It's just me and my wife and a dog, we are in our 50s, so don't need the big back seat very often but the Club Cab seems too small for the rare times someone would be riding there.

I've read these are quiet on the highway (is that true?) and I love a good stereo so that's important to me.

So I'm wondering if there are any things that you all think I should ponder as I approach this purchase given your experiences. Do you all love these trucks or are there other trucks I should look at? I don't care for the Fords, I would consider a Silverardo, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks all.

FlyGuy
They are excellent trucks, and (frankly) set a new bar when it comes to combining utility and luxury.

The HEMI is the most popular engine choice by a huge margin (with or without eTorque), but I’d recommend test-driving the configurations you’re considering.

I’m hoping to get 10+ years out of mine, God willing, and I’m a satisfied owner 1.5 years in so far.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Some thoughts
1) I have a Quad cab. I've ridden back there. It's probably equivalent to the back seat in a compact car -- great for kids, cramped for adults. Okay for a short trip to the restaurant or store, not great for a long road trip.
2) Yes, it's quiet. I come from an old Cherokee and a soft-top Wrangler, so it's like mausoleum quiet to me. I think it may be quieter than my wife's Camry inside.
3) The 4WD has pretty much the same front end as the 2WD. So you add a couple hundred pounds of transfer case, differential, and shafts. That's it. Ride quality is still good -- it's not a straight axle.
4) My brother has a V6 and it seems to have plenty of pep. It also gets better mileage than my V8. Yet if you plan to tow anything taller or wider than the bed, you'll probably be happier with the V8.
5) Speaking of towing... I don't currently tow but it's possible in the future, so I wanted the tow package. In hindsight, I probably would've been happier with just getting the factory brake controller. The trailer mirrors are huge. And they aren't heated. Not a biggie for me where it's about 50-50 whether we'll even see frost once a year, but Michigan is a bit colder. And I think if you buy in the upper trim levels, you lose some other stuff by having trailer mirrors instead of standard.
5) Buy a lumber rack. It's either that or a trailer for the kayaks and it's a whole lot easier to park without a trailer.

Use the search box here and you'll find lots of old threads discussing options, and those mirrors, and a whole lot about towing.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
I can’t speak for everyone but I love my Rebel . The Rams are really quiet on the road , IMHO I think the Laramie offers the best bang for the buck because you can get the heated and cooled front seats and heated rear seats plus you can get the 19 speaker Harmon Kardon stereo . However there are some issues some of the members have been having so depending on if you’re prepared to spend some time at the dealer for warranty repair or not . I personally haven’t had any issues with mine at all .Also I would stay away from the air suspension if you live in an area that gets freezing temps , the last Ram I had was perfect for everything except the air ride .

Last edited:

kthibs22

Reaction score
I recently order my Ram 1500 Limited about 4 weeks ago. I test drove Chevy, Ford and the Laramie and Limited Ram. It’s my dog and I, but I do a bunch of wood working and may tow a small boat from time to time. Definitely go and test drive all of them built to or close to the spec you want, and I would try drive both the V6 and V8 of the Ram. The V8 Hemi has been around for ages, so it is tested and true but I’m a true believer when you test drive you will fall in love with the one that is meant for you. Have fun with the process!!!

Cortesio

Reaction score
I’m the quintessential “guy who owns a truck who doesn’t need one”

I commute upwards of 100 miles daily and only “need” a truck because I enjoy doing projects and enjoy being able to get anything I want from the home despot for whatever crazy idea I drop on my wife. The 15-16mpg I’m averaging right now doesn’t sting too bad with the $1.819/gal I’m paying at the pump, but I’ll definitely feel it if gas gets back up where it was 10 years ago.

I “should” be driving an efficient economy car with my commute but I’m a fairly tall guy and the truck fits like a glove and is one of the most comfortable I’ve driven. I even fit comfortably in the crew cab backseat (thank you 4 extra inches in the 5th gen).

I looked at SUV’s (Grand Cherokees were at the top of my list) but on my Laramie I got all of the luxury features I could want with a higher stance and more flexibility (bed and towing capability). My Ram will do everything I’ll ever ask of it and in my mind the only compromise I’m making right now is less than great fuel economy.

I drive a truck even though I don’t need to because it’s worth it to me to have all of the flexibility. With as nice as trucks are today, you don’t have to give much up to get that flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChPeter

Reaction score
In the past 5 years, I owned 5 different vehicles (Mustang, Kia Sedona, Dodge Challenger, 4th gen RAM 1500, Toyota Avalon Hybrid) and now a happy owner of a 5th gen 1500.

The 5th gen is the most comfortable and quiet vehicle I ever had. As mentioned earlier, the Laramie is great bang for the buck, you get all the bells and whistles, while with a little patience and research you can get great deals on them (mine was 16k off of MSRP)

I have experience with the same V6 in the Challenger and a rental Chrysler Pacifica, you won’t be a road block with it, but if you planning to tow / load it properly the extra power of the HEMI is great :)

The only downside (at least for me) of owning a truck after cars, that I realized I haven’t have a safe, out of sight storage / trunk, unless I put things under a bed cover / into the toolbox.

My trips are usually several 100s of miles, the truck loaded with few 1000$ worth of personal tools and sometimes 20-30k worth of company tools. Wasn’t the most relaxing experience to stop somewhere for a lunch and leaving everything exposed or visible in the cabin (you probably could park a Smart in the rear seat area. Few hunder dollars of extra investment for a hard folding tonneau cover was a must for the peace of my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calsun

Reaction score

Thanks all.

FlyGuy

Calsun

Reaction score
I currently have a small sedan and a diesel pickup and a SUV with AWD. I also have two kayaks. I have carried the kayaks on a rack mounted on a truck cap and that is tough to do with the greater height of a 4WD pickup (the cross bars are more than 6 feet above the ground).

There is also the matter of taking the kayaks off the truck and then carrying them to a dock and then carrying the other kayak gear there and then launching and reversing that process after coming off the water. What works the best is a kayak trailer so I can tow the kayaks to the launch area and get them set up on the trailer and then slide both of them off the trailer and tie them up at the dock while I park the truck.

To pull the boat trailer my AWD Traverse SUV with its 5,000 lb tow rating is more than enough vehicle and my 17,000 lb tow capacity diesel pickup is gross overkill. Where a pickup with a cap or shell is better is when putting wet gear into the vehicle. No worries about wet vests or wetsuits or even wet dogs with a pickup with the shell. It becomes a station wagon that I can hose out at the end of the day. I have only used vehicles with 4WD on the boat ramps as my front wheels are doing most of the work to get up the wet ramp.

To get off-road AWD I had to swap out the factory all-season tires for AT type tires. AWD with standard light truck tires is fine for sand and snow and pavement but not soft dirt and trail running.

If getting a Ram with 4WD I highly recommend getting the $795 Off-Road Group which includes the $545 Electronic Locking rear axle, skid plates, tow hooks, better shocks, and all-terrain tires. It is a bargain.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's what you do. Get in a Limited crew cab, take it for a ride. Guarantee you'll want to buy it. If you buy it, get a second car, not a **** box as we say in Boston, but a 7-10 year old runaround town car so you keep the truck nice and purty, with low miles. You will love it.

FlyGuy

Reaction score
Wow, thanks everyone - keep your thoughts coming.

On the kayak rack trailer question, is there a particular brand and model that you would recommend?

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Once you make the move to a truck you'll always have one. I would drive a Longhorn, Rebel and Limited back to back and see what you like. Personally I like the Rebel package.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cra1g

Reaction score
I'm reading things like "it's a Mercedes S-class and a pickup all in one" and that sounds great.

That's not far from the truth. Maybe not current S-Class, but it beats my sister's previous-gen S-Class.

I also don't specifically need a truck. My wife and I both work from home, and we've gotten along just fine for the last 7 years with only one vehicle. I didn't really need any vehicle at all, but decided I wanted something for camping & road trips. When I started researching, everything was on the table--cars, vans, SUVs, whatever, and my budget was nearly twice what I paid for my Ram. It makes a damned fine luxury car, but with huge cargo capacity. Since buying it, I've taken it camping a few times, and on a Oregon-Florida-Oregon road trip over Christmas. It's been 100% perfect for what I want; maybe even better than I hoped.

taz2016

Reaction score
You will need to take a few test drives to determine if a Ram 1500 is for you. For a full size 4wd pickup they handle and ride very well. I think you will find the Silverado to be crude in comparison in ride and interior design.
Unless you plan to tow fairly heavy loads the Pentastar will have more than adequate power and should give you 3-5 MPG better than the Hemi. I would not even notice something as light as a 10' jonboat behind mine.
You mention mild off roading to get to fishing spots. These are very large vehicles that are not particularly maneuverable. How tight are the areas you plan to access? I went with a Crewcab shortbed (5'7") and with the tailgate down a pair of 10' kayaks easily fit. A couple ratchet tie down straps to the front anchor points hold them in place.

FlyGuy

Reaction score
I'm an avid camper (goes along with fishing) so that's a great angle

Some of the off-the-beaten paths are tree-lined, but not too many. But yes, the size over the Cherokee (which is essentially car-like) will be new to me

Fatherof3

Reaction score
I'm an avid camper (goes along with fishing) so that's a great angle

Some of the off-the-beaten paths are tree-lined, but not too many. But yes, the size over the Cherokee (which is essentially car-like) will be new to me
Once you get used to driving it you’ll be fine . The first Ram I bought I remember feeling like I was riding the line on the road , now if I’m driving anything but the Ram it just feels small. lol

chrisnack

Reaction score
Wow, thanks everyone - keep your thoughts coming.

On the kayak rack trailer question, is there a particular brand and model that you would recommend?

Be sure to look at tonneau covers like the Retrax XR, they allow you to use a roof rack on top of the bed. I use one to haul MTB's. Example attached.

As for the truck, i've owned a number of them. Ford Ranger, 3 F150's, 2 Honda Ridgeline's (1st and 2nd gen), Ford Raptor. I just picked up a 2020 Limited a couple weeks ago. I'm also a huge car guy, i won't even bother with that list, it's too long to type. But my daily driver is a x3 M40i. The RAM has a fantastic interior, the best out there for trucks and i would say better than most cars and suv's. I'm not gonna say it's BMW/Mercedes quality, but it's close and extremely well done. I would also highly recommend the air suspension, very few people actually have issues with it, the difference in ride quality alone is worth it, and the flexibility of the adjustable ride height.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• ex_q75_w_h500_images_product-img_RetraxProXR_RX_ProXR_Dodge-RAM_RX_ProXR_Dodge-Ram_RX_ProXR_Tr...jpg
    ex_q75_w_h500_images_product-img_RetraxProXR_RX_ProXR_Dodge-RAM_RX_ProXR_Dodge-Ram_RX_ProXR_Tr...jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 26

doomtrader

Reaction score
Here are my 2 cents.
First of all, that might give you some perspective I'm living at the suburbs of one of the most jamed cities in Europe - Łódź, and everyday I'm driving to downtown to my office.
Such big cars are not common here, and even with my previous cars it was an issue to park and to fit in traffic (I owned 1997, 2005 and 2013 Chryslers T&C - all V6) and now it is even worse.
The price in here with all the taxes become ridiculous (around $ 80k for Laramie with few extra options, 2018/11 built) and I could easily buy BMW X5 instead or Volvo XC90.
Also for most of the time I'm driving alone, some times driving my kid to school, and sometimes traveling with three of us and a dog. I don't need such huge loading space, and I don't tow anything.

But this car is just awesome.
Driving - up to 80 MPH you feel like you would be driving large sedan. Smooth on the highway, great acceleration. Very quiet inside. At some point you hear the wind noise, but still up to 100 MPH its OK. From my past experience at those speeds some tires might be much louder than others.
Spacing - I've got Crew Cab, so the rear seats are very comfortable, for kids and adults, I got two passengers in the back so far, but it shouldn't be a problem with three at all. Drivers seat is fine, good view, easy access to all the switches, screen, etc.
Stereo is loud and sounds fine thats all I can say.
Engine - for me there was only one choice and it was V8. I didn't even considered V6 or Diesel. The truck can give a good lesson all the kids in tuned BMWs. If you consider V6 I can only say based on my T&C '13 experience that the engine was doing very good as weel, but I don't think there was a big difference in MPG (i didn't test 1500 on long higway distances yet). For me the sound of accelerating V8 is just awesome and hard to price.

So as for European standards, my truck is completely ridiculous car, but I love it and wouldn't change for anything else.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Some thoughts
1) I have a Quad cab. I've ridden back there. It's probably equivalent to the back seat in a compact car -- great for kids, cramped for adults. Okay for a short trip to the restaurant or store, not great for a long road trip.
2) Yes, it's quiet. I come from an old Cherokee and a soft-top Wrangler, so it's like mausoleum quiet to me. I think it may be quieter than my wife's Camry inside.
3) The 4WD has pretty much the same front end as the 2WD. So you add a couple hundred pounds of transfer case, differential, and shafts. That's it. Ride quality is still good -- it's not a straight axle.
4) My brother has a V6 and it seems to have plenty of pep. It also gets better mileage than my V8. Yet if you plan to tow anything taller or wider than the bed, you'll probably be happier with the V8.
5) Speaking of towing... I don't currently tow but it's possible in the future, so I wanted the tow package. In hindsight, I probably would've been happier with just getting the factory brake controller. The trailer mirrors are huge. And they aren't heated. Not a biggie for me where it's about 50-50 whether we'll even see frost once a year, but Michigan is a bit colder. And I think if you buy in the upper trim levels, you lose some other stuff by having trailer mirrors instead of standard.
5) Buy a lumber rack. It's either that or a trailer for the kayaks and it's a whole lot easier to park without a trailer.

Use the search box here and you'll find lots of old threads discussing options, and those mirrors, and a whole lot about towing.
excellent reply

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
You will need to take a few test drives to determine if a Ram 1500 is for you. For a full size 4wd pickup they handle and ride very well. I think you will find the Silverado to be crude in comparison in ride and interior design.
Unless you plan to tow fairly heavy loads the Pentastar will have more than adequate power and should give you 3-5 MPG better than the Hemi. I would not even notice something as light as a 10' jonboat behind mine.
You mention mild off roading to get to fishing spots. These are very large vehicles that are not particularly maneuverable. How tight are the areas you plan to access? I went with a Crewcab shortbed (5'7") and with the tailgate down a pair of 10' kayaks easily fit. A couple ratchet tie down straps to the front anchor points hold them in place.
I'd say for your light usage a QC V6 would be just fine. Wether you choose a 4x or just order a LSD, that's up to you. Your very best gas mileage is the V6 4x2, if gas mileage is much of a concern for you,
As far as carrying kayaks, I'dll defer to those that do, however I'd think it's got to be easier to carry them with a truck and the proper rack than trying to cobble something up on a Grand Cherokee. or similar vehicle

Lastly, when we were shopping for a new vehicle last April, I had my wife look at a Pacifica/other brand minivan, a Grand Cherokee, a Pilot and a couple other like kinds of vehicles. All of them were $10K + MORE than a similarly configured truck, so we bought her a truck. I'd also say that given the current questionable economic scenario, try waiting for a few weeks and see if FCA panics and really lowers pricing via discounts. I spent about $6K more last April than the June buyers paid... just sayin'. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread