5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Continental Terrain Contact A/T

Reaction score
Looks great but still, to me, look small. I'd rather step to (I think 50? 55?) to get the 34" size. But only Nitto makes that size and I hate Nitto. Great looking truck though
Thanks. Had thought about stepping up but no luck with Continental and wanted that brand.

BNeal

Reaction score
Looks great but still, to me, look small. I'd rather step to (I think 50? 55?) to get the 34" size. But only Nitto makes that size and I hate Nitto. Great looking truck though
I would love to have the big-a$$, over-sized meat's with some lift, but I don't want the road noise or the hit to the fuel mileage. So, I settled for these.

mhb1638

Reaction score
I would love to have the big-a$$, over-sized meat's with some lift, but I don't want the road noise or the hit to the fuel mileage. So, I settled for these.
Not settling, just preference bud. I think the overall size is small, even from the factory. Thats all I'm saying. And Nittos are retardedly expensive.

mhb1638

Reaction score
I shopped tires for about a month and Nitto's are priced competitively with comparable tires.
I guess I just not a Nitto fan. Had a set and no one could get them balanced on the rear. warrantied them and same thing. Put stocks on, no balance issues. Rotated tires, same thing. Just could not get them balanced. And paying $450 (give or take) i expected better.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I guess I just not a Nitto fan. Had a set and no one could get them balanced on the rear. warrantied them and same thing. Put stocks on, no balance issues. Rotated tires, same thing. Just could not get them balanced. And paying $450 (give or take) i expected better.
Yeah, I could tell you had a bias against Nitto from your other post. I've owned two sets and haven't had a problem with balancing. At $450 per tire, you got ripped off. I paid $350 for my 305x55/20's.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Yeah, I could tell you had a bias against Nitto from your other post. I've owned two sets and haven't had a problem with balancing. At $450 per tire, you got ripped off. I paid $350 for my 305x55/20's.
Yeah...I dont recall the pricing TBH. Been a bit. Loved the look but man the vibration was terrible.

BNeal

Reaction score
Driving from Dallas to Oklahoma tomorrow - will track fuel mileage, but so far looks like I've gone from an average of 17.5 to 16.5 since tire swap, but I expected some difference with the more aggressive tread. More to come...

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Driving from Dallas to Oklahoma tomorrow - will track fuel mileage, but so far looks like I've gone from an average of 17.5 to 16.5 since tire swap, but I expected some difference with the more aggressive tread. More to come...
Did you check the weight of your new tires compared to stock? It's unlikely the tread on that tire would cause a drop in mpg...it not very aggressive.

tdager

Reaction score
I’m surprised you got 30k out of the Goodyears. It amazes me they put such a garbage tire on these trucks. These GYs are the stock tire on Teslas, they’re a far worse tire than even the old GY RSA on the gen 4.

Great to see so many guys loving the Continentals! Maybe Ram should look at switching OEM manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am at just a tad over 50K on my Goodyears. They are close to gone, so getting new shoes soon but they did last a long time.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I got around 27k miles out of my stockers and went with BFG Advantage T/A's. They were great at first but now, with over 30k miles on them, they seem to be giving up too much traction, especially in wet conditions.

Performance aside, I struggle to find a tire that I actually like the look of. I won't argue with the performance of the Michelin tires but they just don't have a sporty look to them and they make the classier trucks look to grandpa'ish. Most other options are way too lugged or aggressive for my taste, (and driving conditions). I'm also looking to bump up to a wider tire which further limits my options even more.

My favorite looking and perfoming tire is still the Yokahama Parada Spec-X but they wear so damn fast!

I'll be buying another set of tires here in the next couple weeks so I'll be giving those Continentals a good look. Top choices at this point are another set of the BFG's or the Michelins.

IMG_7284.JPG IMG_7296.JPG

Johnny_H

Reaction score
I got around 27k miles out of my stockers and went with BFG Advantage T/A's. They were great at first but now, with over 30k miles on them, they seem to be giving up too much traction, especially in wet conditions.

Performance aside, I struggle to find a tire that I actually like the look of. I won't argue with the performance of the Michelin tires but they just don't have a sporty look to them and they make the classier trucks look to grandpa'ish. Most other options are way too lugged or aggressive for my taste, (and driving conditions). I'm also looking to bump up to a wider tire which further limits my options even more.

My favorite looking and perfoming tire is still the Yokahama Parada Spec-X but they wear so damn fast!

I'll be buying another set of tires here in the next couple weeks so I'll be giving those Continentals a good look. Top choices at this point are another set of the BFG's or the Michelins.

View attachment 112705 View attachment 112706

What size are those? They look great but must be oversize. Are those current pics? That’s a lot of tread left if you’re giving up on them now!

It’s too bad continental isn’t making a bigger tire but so far the AT and HT are only available in stock size. I like the look of my HTs. The tread pattern is similar to my old Michelin defenders but it looks more square and truck-like on my truck compared to the rounder car-like Michelins. Looks do matter! Otherwise we would all be riding 18s. I’ve found performance similar aside from the Contis having a better ride but I expected that will be at the expense of fewer miles. Time will tell.

If your main concern is rain performance, any AT tire will be a compromise due to the poor water channeling on the tread pattern. The Conti AT is overall well rated relative to other ATs in snow and rain though, and I would guess it’s due to the decent channeling near the sides. Talking to the guy who ran both the Conti AT and HT he said they performed the same in his opinion.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Those are 285/45/22's which is the stock size and those pics are from the day I had them put on so they would look pretty fresh still. :)
They don't come in any bigger sizes either.

They are around 30% tread now and starting to "lift" a little too much in heavy rain for my taste.
Total one truck due to crappy tires and you will never take that risk again.
I run them down to around 25-30% and buy new. I have more money than time to tip-toe around on sketchy tires.

The best performing rain tires I've run in the past were the Michelin Defender LTX's and the Yokohama Geolander H/T's. Neither is a stellar looking tire though.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Good luck on the trip and pls report back. I have a MY 19 Bighorn, stock tire size 18". I got rid of the artificial balloons and went with Falkens, "C" Rated, did not need "E" tires. The C work great for me and did well in our last February snow storm which saw 8 years of snow in one night not counting the ice and beautiful sheened scraped roads, LOL.

New tire on truck.jpg New tires left side truck.jpg

Ldc2335

Reaction score
I've got the 20" laramie sport wheels with new Continental A/T. Been on for a couple thousand miles now and they have been great. Outstanding wet traction and no louder than the crap stock nexen highway tires.

Usually I buy BFG k02s, but I think I've found my new favorite. The BFG treadlife was crap on both sets I had on my F150.

Side note, they look way more aggressive than they appear in store photos/advertisements.
9182d3c58c9dfe150d0ef1701c14f0e0.jpg
8db16ebf0375045982491db49c959c86.jpg
9d41e4a308e40d944e8eee31ffc7e990.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Johnny_H

Reaction score
Those look awesome on 20’s! Makes me wish they made a bigger size for the 22’s.

BNeal

Reaction score
Yep. Looks like about 1-mile per gallon less with these tires. But, man, I love them - they look way better than those Goodyear Eagle's and they are not loud at all. Perfect tire for me!

RAL

Reaction score
On a tire related note, anyone know why the tires never seem to last as long as the mileage claim? I understand there are a huge number of individualized factors that impact wear but the tire manufacturers seem to be able to make exaggerated mileage claims with impunity. Candidly, the worst offender in my experience is Michelin although I acknowledge they are round and offer good ride quality.

6of36

Reaction score
On a tire related note, anyone know why the tires never seem to last as long as the mileage claim? I understand there are a huge number of individualized factors that impact wear but the tire manufacturers seem to be able to make exaggerated mileage claims with impunity. Candidly, the worst offender in my experience is Michelin although I acknowledge they are round and offer good ride quality.
Driving style, proper alignment, proper pressure, and rotating them, are huge factors. My dad got 80,000 out of a set of Michelins. The worst are Goodyears, they use soft rubber for handling, and wear extremely fast. I had a set of Eagle G/Ts worn before 25,000 miles. When I was complaining at the tire store, about how fast they wore, the tire guy said most cars they were replacing those on, were less than 20,000.

Users who are viewing this thread