5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Console Safe overkill for me?

Islander

Reaction score
So waiting for my new incoming Big Horn and in the meantime ordering accessories :) ... and been looking at a console safe like the Lock'er Down exxtreme...for about $400 or so.

I don't have a firearm and 90% of the time i am driving to the beach, unloading my kiteboarding equipment and locking my wallet and phone in the vehicle...since I dont want to leave those on the beach.

We have very few auto thefts here but lots of low-tech smash and grab artists, especially during high tourist season around beach parking areas.

So on one hand I think a console safe is still a good idea even for wallet, phone etc....but on the other hand i think if someone does break in, open my console and see a safe will they then start whacking away with their crowbar and do more damage to my interior than if i did not have a safe.

Am I better off just leaving my stuff in the rear compartments under my floormats where these low tech morons may not even know storage exists?

What do you guys think? Would you get a safe in my scenario?

Last edited:

Camelot

Reaction score
Normally the smash and grab thieves don't carry around a crow bar :) I would pass on the safe if I was you. I can see the need if you need to frequently lock your sidearm in the car though. Personally I carry everywhere and don't have the need to lock my gun up. But if I did , I would spend the money on the safe.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Smash and grab crime is basically just that, smash a window and grab whatever is within reach as quickly as possible. They may carry something to actually smash a window but they aren't taking the time to rummage through the vehicles for what little fear they have of being caught. My truck came with the lockable safe but I have never used it as I dont really need to leave anything of value in the truck. Would buying that safe hurt? Other than your wallet probably not but I personally think you'll be fine with those in floor cubbies that are hidden under the floor mat.

MrByh20

Reaction score
I use mine for different kind of things. Like the registration and insurance card etc or anything that has my personal info like addresses and such. I also leave a credit card in my safe as a backup in case I find myself needing one and not having one in my wallet. I live In Arizona so carrying a firearm is not Illegal so there’s no reason to leave it in the truck. It’s almost always on me. For me it’s just an extra layer of keeping my personal things away from the common smash and grabber. Lastly you might check with your auto insurance company and see if they give a rate adjustment for having the safe. Mine doesn’t but that’s ok with me.

MrByh20

Reaction score
Just coming to mind, my truck came with a alarm system from factory. Of course you cross your eyes, hold your mouth and two toes crossed to turn it on but it’s there. I stumbled across it by accident looking for something in the owners guide and it was listed in the index. not Sure if all trucks have it such as models and trim but it’s on my 21 limited longhorn. Just take a few seconds and look it up. Electronic version of owners guide is on the uconnect app

Islander

Reaction score
Thanks guys...good suggestions. A lot of the rental car companies here actually tell visitors to take out all their valuables and leave vehicles unlocked. No way I am gonna leave a $60k truck unlocked ...cant stand the idea of some idiot rummaging through my vehicle lol

MrByh20

Reaction score
There are also locking covers available for the back seat floor bins.
Those bins are very easy to get at. From the underside the truck they’re still plastic and cut pretty easy. I’m pretty sure thieves know of these especially if they cut out exhaust converter’s in no time flat.

Ive thought of getting the locking covers for the the back bins but they aren’t cheap either. Lock’er Down’s prices are pretty much the same price across the board as other lock company’s with the same metal thickness etc. definitely an option to look at though.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Those bins are very easy to get at. From the underside the truck they’re still plastic and cut pretty easy. I’m pretty sure thieves know of these especially if they cut out exhaust converter’s in no time flat.

Ive thought of getting the locking covers for the the back bins but they aren’t cheap either. Lock’er Down’s prices are pretty much the same price across the board as other lock company’s with the same metal thickness etc. definitely an option to look at though.
They still have to get through the floor safe's 12 gauge steel from the underside. Not impossible, but still a pretty good deterrent.

F892.jpg

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There are cheaper options than Lockerdown if you don't really need the higher security. Tuffy is less than $200 on Amazon. I have used Tuffy center consoles on older jeeps. Only 16 Guage but still decent.

Users who are viewing this thread