5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Console Safe Options

snearylaw

Reaction score
Hi all - recently purchased a 2022 Ram 1500 Limited. I would never have imagined a truck would be as (if not more) comfortable than our outgoing Volvo XC90, but wow this rig as awesome. Anyway, looking for input on installing a console safe - suggestions on what fits well (or doesn't) and what is overkill. Seems like the sky is limit when it comes to cost, but I'm looking for something that works - without being a flimsy POS. Really just something to ensure no access to my pistol if the kids are playing in the car or if I park it at the airport. Thanks all!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all - recently purchased a 2022 Ram 1500 Limited. I would never have imagined a truck would be as (if not more) comfortable than our outgoing Volvo XC90, but wow this rig as awesome. Anyway, looking for input on installing a console safe - suggestions on what fits well (or doesn't) and what is overkill. Seems like the sky is limit when it comes to cost, but I'm looking for something that works - without being a flimsy POS. Really just something to ensure no access to my pistol if the kids are playing in the car or if I park it at the airport. Thanks all!
I have the factory installed Mopar one in my Built to Serve. I don't really use it, but it works, and you know it will fit. Just a basic key lock, nothing fancy. I might us it more if it was a combo lock, as I don't have a keyring I carry with me

Htsderek

Reaction score
Do you have the center console or a jump seat? I'm not sure if the jump seat is an option on the Limited.

I have a 2021 Limited with the center console and went with the Tuffy Console safe through Amazon. It is pretty solid and feels like it wouldn't be easy to pry into. It takes up the rear of the console but is low enough the sliding cup holder goes over the top, as long as you don't leave the key in the lock. Tuffy Console Safe on Amazon

I usually have a large water bottle in the front of the console that I have to move in order to slide the cup holder all the way forward to get into the safe. Since I only use it to store the pistol when I'm can't carry it on me I'm ok with the bit of inconvenience.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe there is one that doesn't require cutting the tabs out down below, but can't remember the name or where I seen it.

Look at Console Vault.

I believe Locker Down require cutting parts out.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Locker Down makes a version for the Limited and Longhorn which require no cutting of anything. They also offer different types of locking mechanisms.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently installed this from @Realtruck

It fits great and is ample size for my PDP compact and spare mag. Combo lock it awesome so I don’t need a key. No cutting or modification needed. Drops right in.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I recently installed this from @Realtruck

It fits great and is ample size for my PDP compact and spare mag. Combo lock it awesome so I don’t need a key. No cutting or modification needed. Drops right in.
I'd have some concerns with that one if it's going into a Limited or Longhorn. There is less clearance under the sliding portion in a Limited and Longhorn center console, and it's likely that this safe is too tall for the OP's Limited.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd have some concerns with that one if it's going into a Limited or Longhorn. There is less clearance under the sliding portion in a Limited and Longhorn center console, and it's likely that this safe is too tall for the OP's Limited.
Nice catch. I didn’t think about that.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I posted the exact same link a few posts up :ROFLMAO:

N7GZN

Reaction score
Makes me think about finding a Laramie console with the same color as the oem Longhorn, to be able to install the larger console safe. I think loosing the sliding tray in the Longhorn and Limited would be an acceptable trade off.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't think you'll find a Laramie with the mountain brown interior. Wasn't that only available on the Longhorn? But you might consider going with a black console and swapping your lid onto it. I swapped a mountain brown steering wheel into the 2020 Laramie I used to own and I liked the little pop of color with the black. Could be an interesting look.

Attachments

• Longhorn steering wheel installed (2).jpg
    Longhorn steering wheel installed (2).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 11

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I will also say that the factory Mopar one is pretty good. It's manufactured by Tuffy and fits pretty seamlessly with the Rams console. Plenty of space for a full size pistol (Beretta 92), spare mags, and a box of cartridges, with room to spare. My Sig 365 could swim in the thing.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I will also say that the factory Mopar one is pretty good. It's manufactured by Tuffy and fits pretty seamlessly with the Rams console. Plenty of space for a full size pistol (Beretta 92), spare mags, and a box of cartridges, with room to spare. My Sig 365 could swim in the thing.
The Mopar one is also made to fit in the Big Horn center console. I suspect it will cause issues with the sliding tray if the OP installs one in his Limited.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
The Mopar one is also made to fit in the Big Horn center console. I suspect it will cause issues with the sliding tray if the OP installs one in his Limited.
I thought the consoles were more or less the same. Mine also has the sliding tray and it works no problem with the safe. If the limited is significantly different then yes, there maybe issues.

Edit:
Did some quick research, and yes, the clearances are different in the limited. I stand corrected!

Last edited:

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I never really like the idea of a safe taking up valuable real estate in the center console just for the rare instance when I might need to lock my CCW in the truck.

Instead, I have one of these under my rear seat secured to the seat frame. If someone breaks into the truck I'd rather they cut the cable than rip a safe out of my center console.
81Fq05dULAL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I've considered one of the security lid below, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
tuffy-ram1500-rear-in-floor-storage-security-lid-357-01.R110920.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I never really like the idea of a safe taking up valuable real estate in the center console just for the rare instance when I might need to lock my CCW in the truck.

Instead, I have one of these under my rear seat secured to the seat frame. If someone breaks into the truck I'd rather they cut the cable than rip a safe out of my center console.
81Fq05dULAL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I've considered one of the security lid below, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
tuffy-ram1500-rear-in-floor-storage-security-lid-357-01.R110920.jpg
How much stuff you keep in your center console? I mean, I like the amount of available space, but even with the factory locking safe installed, I've never said, man I wish I had that space back.

Certainly wouldn't want something under the seat tht can cause issues with the power seats

N7GZN

Reaction score
A mountain brown console in the Laramie is a rare bird though I have seen one. A black console and transplant the Mountain Brown Longhorn lid if it fits.
Next question to iron out is the inclusion of the usb ports, and heated/cooled seat controls into a different trim center console.
Having the entire center console lockable adds functionality of being able to lock more than just a pistol or keys.
I had an 02 Chrysler T&C that had a lockable seat bin, and glovebox, why not add a lock cylinder to the center console lid on the Ram?

Av1

Reaction score
I have the Mopar one in my Laramie. I lock my pistol and extra magazines in it and it works well with plenty of room.

I don't how different the Limited console is, so not sure if the Laramie safe fits both.

Users who are viewing this thread