5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering canceling order for new Laramie

muttskie

Reaction score
Hello, new member here. I'm thinking about canceling my recent (last week) order for a new Laramie. I have been reading here, and on other online sources about the abysmal quality control issues with these trucks. It seems that nearly every system has recurring troubles, failures, leaks, software bugs. And it seems that the majority of the problems don't get resolved easily under warranty. I have a late model Audi and everything just works! No issues, no drama. I can't imagine having a vehicle that is constantly having trouble with this or that. It's not just here on this forum, it's everywhere I read about these Ram trucks. This doesn't work, that leaks, the leather cracks in short order, the Nav is miles off, the dealer doesn't fix it, etc., etc.
Are these trucks just crap? For 60-70K? Talk me off the ledge, if you can.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It will be ok bud! Don't jump! You will find these complaints with any manufacturer. Go to a Chevy or Ford forum and you will see all the same complaints as that's what most people do on forums.....COMPLAIN.

If it worries you that much just get an extended warranty for peace of mind 👍🏼. I have a 2020 laramie and I love it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
These trucks have issues like other brands out there. The ones to watch out for, which still after three years they haven’t fixed, is the rear window bezel cracks and rear water intrusion.

Just check it before taking delivery and you should know fairly easily. Other than that, most of the other new model teething issues like brake squeal, front end clunk, and poor AC performance have all been fixed on the 2021 MY, so you should be ok.

Hyfire

Reaction score
Honestly, if you need to be talked from the ledge this early, just cancel it. ASAP.

Don’t screw over the dealer.

It’s clear that your pessimistic and negative, and your truck isn’t even built yet. The first small problem you have will obviously be too much for your snowflake sensibilities.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie has bee trouble-free for over 18 months. Jeffjad nailed it. Forums are full of people complaining about this and that. You get very few if any threads talking about what's working right. Visiting forums is the worst thing you can do if this sort of thing bothers you. These are great trucks, no matter what some people have said about them. Most of us are repeat Ram truck buyers. That alone should tell you something, and I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't be shopping for a new 2021 right now if owning a Ram was in any way a bad experience.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello, new member here. I'm thinking about canceling my recent (last week) order for a new Laramie. I have been reading here, and on other online sources about the abysmal quality control issues with these trucks. It seems that nearly every system has recurring troubles, failures, leaks, software bugs. And it seems that the majority of the problems don't get resolved easily under warranty. I have a late model Audi and everything just works! No issues, no drama. I can't imagine having a vehicle that is constantly having trouble with this or that. It's not just here on this forum, it's everywhere I read about these Ram trucks. This doesn't work, that leaks, the leather cracks in short order, the Nav is miles off, the dealer doesn't fix it, etc., etc.

This is an online forum, this is where people vent who have issues and search for fixes. Have you seen the Ford and Silverado/GMC forums?

I bought my RAM almost 2 years ago, a 2019 built in Jan 2019, and so far I've had zero issues. I'm historically a Ford guy, but this is my favorite truck I've ever owned, maybe my most favorite vehicle I have ever owned.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are worrying too much, going from a car to a truck is a big change, if you need a truck, stick to your order, you will not regret the comfort of the Laramie, this is my 3rd Ram since 1996, so I kept them a long time, I did have small issues that were covered with the warranty, I never purchased the extended warranty and would have purchased it for nothing in my situation because the truck only had normal wear and tear issues, brakes, tire....and a few small cost issues like the driver mirror dimming did not function after 9 years, hood open switch indicator again after 9 years.
I sincerely hope you decide to stay on course with the order, these truck are awesome!

GATORB8

Reaction score
Ram does sell like 5x more trucks than Audi sells total vehicles. A lot more one off issues to complain about.
Germans aren’t really synonymous with reliability, my last bimmer was the real definition of abysmal.
Both maintenance and repair costs are significantly less on the Ram when there is an issue.

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
I think this has already been said, but people that don't have problems, typically don't go to forums much, it's more likely when they have issues to find out if others have had or how to fix. I have 20k miles, and haven't had any issues. So as others have said, don't worry about it. If you are really worried, either buy an extended warranty (I never spend the money on these) or just cancel the order for your own piece of mind. I had a 2011 Chevy I bought used and it had problems with the cylinder deactivation causing excessive carbon buildup. No manufacturer is perfect by any means.

Zig10

Reaction score
Roll the dice with any vehicle you buy. My 2020 Limited experience is so far so good (knocking on wood). Got a little bit of brake squeak when backing up on a wet winter day, and that's it. Otherwise is is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned, and that includes multiple "luxury" lines that were more expensive.

My year-older Ford Expedition goes in to the dealer an average of every 5-6 months for something. A coworker has nearly the same truck and it has never been back for warranty work. Luck of the draw.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy another Ram tomorrow if the need arose.

Good luck with your decision.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As with any large purchase from any brand, it's good to educate yourself on possible problems and remedies. I can only add that we've had our truck since October and are extremely happy with it so far. Only had one warranty issue (driver's side Rambox opening on it's own) and that was an easy fix.
Good luck with whatever you do.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Honestly, if you need to be talked from the ledge this early, just cancel it. ASAP.

Don’t screw over the dealer.

It’s clear that your pessimistic and negative, and your truck isn’t even built yet. The first small problem you have will obviously be too much for your snowflake sensibilities.

This exactly, go

muttskie

Reaction score
Thank you all for the helpful input. I am excited about the truck and will continue. As I was reading all of the sub forums on this site, I just got nervous with the seemly constant and varied quality control issues. I ordered a Laramie Crew Cab with the 3.0 diesel, 3.21 rear end, 33gal., 20" wheels, along with other various options. Delmonico Red two tone, Mountain Brown interior.

Sundance79

Reaction score
Wow! I don't know where you've been reading that crap, but I've had my 2021 Laramie for about 6 weeks now and LOVE it! Have not had a single problem with it. NOT ONE! I ordered it back in December and it was worth the wait. I got just about every option possible. I had to order it mainly because I didn't want a moon roof and I wanted a Quad Cab. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!!!

NiteRAM

Reaction score
People in forums are usually enthusiasts and more picky than the average consumer. Or they have a serious issue and search out a forum. Either way this forum or others only represent an extremely small percentage of actual owners. I would not scare yourself, every brand has issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lindyrig4

Reaction score
People seem to be attracted to sites like this forum to whine about anything they can think (or make) up. Most of the many Happy customers have much better things to do than spend time here reading other peoples stories. AND< It really doesn't sound like you need a truck.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you all for the helpful input. I am excited about the truck and will continue. As I was reading all of the sub forums on this site, I just got nervous with the seemly constant and varied quality control issues. I ordered a Laramie Crew Cab with the 3.0 diesel, 3.21 rear end, 33gal., 20" wheels, along with other various options. Delmonico Red two tone, Mountain Brown interior.

You will undoubtedly really like the Delmonico Red two-tone with the Mountain Brown/Light Frost Beige interior.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have a 2020 Laramie 4x4 and a 2020 Lone Star 4x2 with zero issues in almost nine months of ownership. Both are eTorque, one has the 12” screen with Nav and the other the 8.4 screen without Nav. The Laramie is Level 2 and and Lone Star Level 1. Again, zero issues and no quality defects.

They replaced two 2019 Lone Stars both of which had zero issues and zero quality defects.

I wouldn’t read too much into the negative posts. While I do feel for the guys/gals who have an issue, the majority of Rams produced are trouble free. Think about it - if Rams were all garbage then FCA would be out of business.

Users who are viewing this thread