5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering a Ram 1500, but concerned about reliability... New to 5GenRam

23RAM

Reaction score
Just wanted to ask, has anyone had reliability issues with their Ram? I have looked at Consumer reports, JD Power and other rankings, but was looking for owner experience.
Add my positive experience to the mix as typically people come here to complain about problems looking for help.

I've owned many different brands over the years, but this is my first RAM pickup and no issues so far although I've only put about 3500 miles down. It arrived in February 2023 so it had some winter snow/ice driving, and now summer - no issues. I shopped around looking at all the full size pickups and after seeing the interior layout and test drives, the RAM beat everything else at the same price point. The big 5.7L V8 is great and is not a gas guzzler unless you have a lead foot. Normal driving I get advertised mileage and sometimes better both city and highway, up to 18 and 23. Very satisfied with the truck. AC is cold, no rear leak so far, engine is quiet, etc. Only complaint I hear is my wife likes it more than the SUV now.
:)

logboom

Reaction score
I picked up a 23 Laramie in late April ( build date in February). Drove to Sacramento and back ( 1400 miles) no issues and averaged 20 mpg.
Just drove to Spokane and and back ( 560 miles) and averged 20 mpg.
Great truck so far. The most comfortable truck I've ever driven. I hope I don't get the leaky 3rd brake light! Why RAM hasn't fixed this particular irritant is beyond me.

CJ8Ranger

Reaction score
I have been a Ram guy since 2005 and as of recently came back from F150 and only issue so far is Uconnect in my 2022 Its intermittent and I have taken many videos but dealer wont fix unless "THEY" can reproduce it 3 attempts and many hours wasting my work hours and they cant reproduce and I guess they think Im making it up with the videos cause I enjoy sitting around dealership thats 1.5 hours away from me taking time off work.
So you took a video of the problem, but they can't reproduce or fix it?

CJ8Ranger

Reaction score
2020 Limited with 120,000 miles.
I love my truck, and it has never left me stranded. However, it just doesn't feel as solid as I would have liked.

Problems so far:
- LED headlight failed (within two weeks of purchase)
- Camera in pod behind rearview mirror (for adaptive cruise I believe) failed (also within two weeks of purchase)
- two new exhaust manifolds (very common, have had these replaced on 3 out of 4 hemi's I've owned)
- replaced front stabilizer around 100,000 miles
- replaced inner tie rod around 110,000 miles
- currently have a nasty rattle when going over bumps, have not located problem yet
- my AC goes into recirculation when I accelerate, then stays there forever - mostly just annoying
- active air dam has just failed (permanently deployed), taking it in to dealer next week
- fuel economy isn't anywhere near advertised values, and much worse than our 2014 Ram (which is comparable in weight and drivetrain)

The first three items were fixed under warranty, the rest are on my dime.

Finally, and not directly related to truck: the dealership experience. It is very hard to find a RAM dealership that is able and willing to deliver quality work. Most of them are complete scumbags that take your money (or Stellantis') and do the absolute minimum or less. Some have also made mistakes that I had to call them out on (filling differential and transfer case with the wrong oil).

I originally chose this truck over others because it was cheaper than the Tundra and others, even if adding an extended warranty. I figured that if I got an extended warranty that would cover the cost of repairs I might not have had with a more reliable truck. With the insane price increases at Stellantis (48% in the last 4 or 5 years) they have priced themselves out of the market (for me). I'm going to drive this truck at least 7 years (as we do with all our vehicles), and as things stand now, will not get another Ram when the time comes to replace it.
I've been to a couple dealerships to test drive and see their offers.... I know they are doing their best to hire staff, but the sales people, in general, have horrible grammar, seem to struggle with simple math ( " A new one is like $80K, a used one is like $60k.... that's like half the price") and frankly don't seem to know that much about the vehicle or the options that are available.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, as Ive been looking deeply at Ram trucks, and they sell many models off of the Mopar line. However, the sales person struggled answering basic questions about the warranty, paint protective film option and the MFT.

My point is, in my mind, I kept thinking that if it's hard to get answers from the sales staff, how will it be from service or the parts department.

CJ8Ranger

Reaction score
I love my truck, and it has never left me stranded. However, it just doesn't feel as solid as I would have liked.

Problems so far:
- Camera in pod behind rearview mirror (for adaptive cruise I believe) failed (also within two weeks of purchase)
- two new exhaust manifolds (very common, have had these replaced on 3 out of 4 hemi's I've owned)
- currently have a nasty rattle when going over bumps, have not located problem yet
- my AC goes into recirculation when I accelerate, then stays there forever - mostly just annoying
- active air dam has just failed (permanently deployed), taking it in to dealer next week
- fuel economy isn't anywhere near advertised values, and much worse than our 2014 Ram (which is comparable in weight and drivetrain)

Finally, and not directly related to truck: the dealership experience. It is very hard to find a RAM dealership that is able and willing to deliver quality work. Most of them are complete scumbags that take your money (or Stellantis') and do the absolute minimum or less. Some have also made mistakes that I had to call them out on (filling differential and transfer case with the wrong oil).

I originally chose this truck over others because it was cheaper than the Tundra and others, even if adding an extended warranty. I figured that if I got an extended warranty that would cover the cost of repairs I might not have had with a more reliable truck. With the insane price increases at Stellantis (48% in the last 4 or 5 years) they have priced themselves out of the market (for me). I'm going to drive this truck at least 7 years (as we do with all our vehicles), and as things stand now, will not get another Ram when the time comes to replace it.
with the exhaust manifold repair (I assume its a leak or warp), is this a problem that occurs at a typical mileage? in other words should this push me to buy new vs used?

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely zero problems with my 2020 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 EcoDiesel. Never once back to the dealer for any warranty issue or complaint by me. Battery went dead once when I left it parked for a month, but that was more my fault than the truck's fault.
If by chance you do take one off the lot someplace, look for a smallish sticker on the driver's side window near the door lock button stating the vehicle might have up to 65 miles on it due to being pulled from the line for a random quality audit. If the vehicle did have assembly issues, they'll usually find them in the random quality audit and fix them before the vehicle ships.
WP_20200307_10_01_36_Pro (4).jpg
FWIW, take a look at this article at Stellpower: Retiring head of quality tells Chrysler secrets to AutoNews

CJ8Ranger

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie with Level 2 and Advanced Safety Group, and other options, so pretty heavily loaded for a Laramie. I have 110K miles on it and the only issue so far were the leak at third brake light is and one of the exhaust headers cracked. Runs great, still on original brakes, burns no oil. I know I'm tempting fate, but I have not a single complaint. I recognize the likelihood of certain things happening shortly, like another exhaust header and probably some suspension stuff startign to wear out. But overall I could not be happier with this truck.

good luck in your search!
was the exhaust header covered under "powertrain"

CJ8Ranger

Reaction score

Problems so far:

the things you got fixed out of pocket, was it because you were past the warranty period or because you got denied the claim. I'm considering getting the Zeigler extended warranty.

Black19

Reaction score
I think the top 3 most common issues are:
-Leaky rear window/3rd brake light. Pretty sure this problem persisted into ‘21 and possibly is still a problem.
-Lifter/Cam failure
-Exhaust manifold bolts breaking
And a bonus one that’s not a failure but it is something kinda annoying, is the AC doesn’t get very cold. There is a cheap $20 kit you can buy to work around this issue though.
I’ve heard of plenty of other issues but they’re usually few and far between. These are the only ones I’d personally be worried about & check into if I was buying used
What is the cheep $20 kit you speak of to help the A/C?? Mine works, just slow as you said. Thanks in advance!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Problems so far:

I would just remove the active air dam and not waste your time going to the dealer and paying for it.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 limited v8 5.7 hemi no e torque bs and I am the 3rd owner of my truck with that said it’s had various lives and who knows how it was treated/ driven but it’s been solid since I got it.(88k miles) My a/c is ice cold. The engine is quite once I switched to a higher viscosity oil and overall no major complaints. My biggest gripe is the drl on the passenger side went out during my ownership, and mpg is terrible. I have 33’s on stock 20’s and avg 13-14 mpg. I drive 50/50 hwy and city and tend to drive a bit faster than others.

Pull the trigger and get a RAM if you can find a good price that is.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2019 limited v8 5.7 hemi no e torque bs and I am the 3rd owner of my truck with that said it’s had various lives and who knows how it was treated/ driven but it’s been solid since I got it.(88k miles) My a/c is ice cold. The engine is quite once I switched to a higher viscosity oil and overall no major complaints. My biggest gripe is the drl on the passenger side went out during my ownership, and mpg is terrible. I have 33’s on stock 20’s and avg 13-14 mpg. I drive 50/50 hwy and city and tend to drive a bit faster than others.

Pull the trigger and get a RAM if you can find a good price that is.
DRL is low beam bulb. I think you are probably referring to the signature lighting

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just my $0.02, buy a new Ram. They all have their little problems as have been stated here.

Ram just looks the best overall, and is the most comfortable overall. My opinion of course, but I shopped them all prior to purchase.

Just stay away from low mileage, almost new trucks. I've seen several stories and have a friend that has been burned twice buying someone else's lemon, and not just Ram.

jharpo74

Reaction score
I've been lurking for a while... I've owned a 2006 Tundra for the past 18 yrs and it's got 255K miles. Other than replacing the injectors, changing the oil and brakes as well as changing the driveshaft bearing and U joints, I haven't had a single problem with it. It's time for a new truck and I think I'm going with a Ram 1500 Limited. I'm shopping around for used, but if I can't find what I want will order new from Mark Dodge.

Just wanted to ask, has anyone had reliability issues with their Ram? I have looked at Consumer reports, JD Power and other rankings, but was looking for owner experience. I have a few 80's and 90's CJs and wranglers and while I know times have changed they were plain unreliable.

thanks
I purchased a very early 2019 Limited Edition 1500, 5th gen as a new truck as soon as they hit the market. I over maintain and baby the truck but have had the following issues with it. Thankfully I had an extended warranty and/or Chrysler Customer Service took care of the repairs.
1) Broken exhaust manifold bolts on the right side. Extended warranty covered. (As a preventive measure, I replaced the left side myself with Felpro and Dorman bolts.)
2) Leather dash bubbling up and coming loose. This happened at about 10K and then again at 60K. Warranty and extended warranty replaced the dash cover both times.
3) Rear sliding glass/3rd brake light water leaks and a crack in window frame. Warranty replaced.
4) Chrysler redesign of the AC in-dash blend door housing. Known Ram problem allowing hot air leaking over into the cool air stream. Warranty/Customer Service replaced the necessary parts. (Google the TS info on this.) The hack from Muzzy is a shut off valve that I was going to install but when Chrysler replaced the blend door system I did not have to do it. AC works much better but not as well as other cars/trucks I have owned. (My Chrysler Pacifica A/C will freeze you out of the van.)
5) Moans, groans, rubs and creaks from the steering. It has been to the dealership 3 times for a fix but is not fixed.
6) Suspension and body noise going around corners as though the body is moving against a bushing. I have not taken that into the dealership for that one. Right now the "fix" is to turn the radio louder.
7) One of the rear axle bump stops just disappeared. The dealer wanted a stupid amount of money to push another one in the holder, so that was DIY.
8) The tailgate latch system is a bad design. It has been "adjusted" several times by the dealer and just does not latch properly.

I enjoy the truck despite the issues. I am attributing many of the problems to buying something new the first year of manufacture. Always avoid that!!
Chrysler and the extended warranty have paid for the repairs so far. At this point, I think the problems have been mostly addressed. In my past, I have not been a fan of extended warranties but am very thankful I bought one this time.
Future plans. I plan to keep the truck. The new small engine, high output stuff that is being manufactured now scares me. I like a V8 and as long as it runs, and it is not outlawed, I plan to keep it. The cost of the extra gas is just the cost of doing business.
I am going to change the exhaust manifold bolts every 50k. I also went with a higher viscosity oil with Lucas added. I installed a catch can, despite all the pro/con discussions I just think it was $100 ounce of prevention. "Lifetime" transmission oil/filter change coming up next.
So, we will see how things hold up.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I purchased a very early 2019 Limited Edition 1500, 5th gen as a new truck as soon as they hit the market. I over maintain and baby the truck but have had the following issues with it. Thankfully I had an extended warranty and/or Chrysler Customer Service took care of the repairs.
1) Broken exhaust manifold bolts on the right side. Extended warranty covered. (As a preventive measure, I replaced the left side myself with Felpro and Dorman bolts.)
2) Leather dash bubbling up and coming loose. This happened at about 10K and then again at 60K. Warranty and extended warranty replaced the dash cover both times.
3) Rear sliding glass/3rd brake light water leaks and a crack in window frame. Warranty replaced.
4) Chrysler redesign of the AC in-dash blend door housing. Known Ram problem allowing hot air leaking over into the cool air stream. Warranty/Customer Service replaced the necessary parts. (Google the TS info on this.) The hack from Muzzy is a shut off valve that I was going to install but when Chrysler replaced the blend door system I did not have to do it. AC works much better but not as well as other cars/trucks I have owned. (My Chrysler Pacifica A/C will freeze you out of the van.)
5) Moans, groans, rubs and creaks from the steering. It has been to the dealership 3 times for a fix but is not fixed.
6) Suspension and body noise going around corners as though the body is moving against a bushing. I have not taken that into the dealership for that one. Right now the "fix" is to turn the radio louder.
7) One of the rear axle bump stops just disappeared. The dealer wanted a stupid amount of money to push another one in the holder, so that was DIY.
8) The tailgate latch system is a bad design. It has been "adjusted" several times by the dealer and just does not latch properly.

I enjoy the truck despite the issues. I am attributing many of the problems to buying something new the first year of manufacture. Always avoid that!!
Chrysler and the extended warranty have paid for the repairs so far. At this point, I think the problems have been mostly addressed. In my past, I have not been a fan of extended warranties but am very thankful I bought one this time.
Future plans. I plan to keep the truck. The new small engine, high output stuff that is being manufactured now scares me. I like a V8 and as long as it runs, and it is not outlawed, I plan to keep it. The cost of the extra gas is just the cost of doing business.
I am going to change the exhaust manifold bolts every 50k. I also went with a higher viscosity oil with Lucas added. I installed a catch can, despite all the pro/con discussions I just think it was $100 ounce of prevention. "Lifetime" transmission oil/filter change coming up next.
So, we will see how things hold up.
TSB for the AC and the steering noise attached.

Attachments

• TSB 08-137-21 grinding sound.pdf
    61.2 KB · Views: 21
  • MC-10184475-9999.pdf
    68.8 KB · Views: 20

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The pricing is ridiculous for other manufacturers also, but in comparison for only one year, my '21 Rebel had an MSRP of dollars shy of $60k. My local dealership had a similar '22 Rebel for $69k. A single model year having an upcharge of $9k. I think GM had a 5 year increase of 22% and Ford was similar to Stellantis with 43%, I think. I have seen discussions of manufacturers lowering their prices, so we'll see what happens.
I had a 2018 Big Horn, which was a different body, sticker 49,900. Build today 57,000. I had a 2020 Laramie, sticker 57,000. Build today 64,000. That's 12% increase in 3 years, while inflation is 20%. There is more mandated safety equipment raising the cost also.

Users who are viewing this thread