5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Configuration Tool is Maddening

Grouper

Reaction score
Can someone in the know tell me why the Configuration Tool will not allow the following configuration:

2020 Laramie Quad Cab 4x2
5.7L (not the eTorque)
33 Gal Tank
Anti-Spin Diff
Laramie Level 2 Equipment Group
Night Edition

I keep getting kicked back to the 6 cyl. Or it drops the 8.4" screen with Nav. Or it drops the 33 gal tank.

What am I missing?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can someone in the know tell me why the Configuration Tool will not allow the following configuration:

5.7L (not the eTorque)
33 Gal Tank
Anti-Spin Diff
Night Edition

I keep getting kicked back to the 6 cyl. Or it drops the 8.4" screen with Nav. Or it drops the 33 gal tank.

What am I missing?
Well, at least FCA is consistent with the configurator. It always has problems ;)

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

5.7L (not the eTorque)
33 Gal Tank
Anti-Spin Diff
Night Edition

What am I missing?

It might be that Ram doesn't allow that particular combo, or it might be a glitch in the configurator. Best to head down to a dealer and ask them to price it out, they use a different system, and they will give you a better price than the online tool anyway.

Grouper

Reaction score
It might be that Ram doesn't allow that particular combo...
That's what I'm asking; What is is about this configuration that is not "allowed?"

... Best to head down to a dealer and ask them to price it out, they use a different system, and they will give you a better price than the online tool anyway.
Ultimately, I'll have to do that. But I'm trying to get educated before walking in the door.

Reaction score
I think it is a marketing strategy. Your choice of level 2 Equipt. Pkg. and the Night Edition seem to be the fly in the ointment. When you choose the 33 Gal. tank it makes you opt for an equipment package. If you choose level one it will allow what you want. Damned if I can figure out the relationship between a 33 gal. tank and what equip. group you pick. The night edition also seems to be making issues for you. Again, is it a marketing thing? Also I think that two wheel drive choices seem to have this happen more frequently than 4X4. Us 4X2 guys are in the vast minority.
I have been trying to Spec a truck very similar to what you are doing. In two wheel drive if you want the e-locker it automatically requires a switch from V6 to a V8 and 3.92 gears. However, if I order 4X4 I can get the e-locker with a V6 and 3.21 gears as well. Now if they can put the e-locker in a 3.21 ZF rear axle with the V6 in a 4X4 I cannot understand why they cannot put it in the same axle with the same gear ration in a V6 4X2.
Weird thing is in OP's case it is reverting back to the standard equipment of the V6. Who knows what goes on inside the minds of the folks making these decisions.
I have gone to two dealers and when they use whatever program they have it returns the exact same results as when I try the build from my home .
Good luck with your build. I suspect that like myself you will be facing some compromises.

ramhead

Reaction score
Ultimately, I'll have to do that. But I'm trying to get educated before walking in the door.

5.7L (not the eTorque)
33 Gal Tank
Anti-Spin Diff
Night Edition

What am I missing?

I just ran it through Ramtrucks.com "Build & Price" with the options you tried and it went through fine....came up with a price of $50910 (MSRP) and $44513 "employee pricing" with those options.

Check this - it supposed be a "save configuration" link to the truck I mocked up - If it turns out to be just the generic web page then maybe I'm seeing it because of cookies on my computer but hopefully you get the truck I set up with your options.

Last edited:

Grouper

Reaction score
That link takes me to a 2019 with the black appearance package.

I'm trying to configure a 2020 with the Night Edition package.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As @the wanderer wrote, you really won’t know what’s “allowed” until you go to the dealership and have them enter the options in as a “sold” order. The web configurator has become notorious for showing outdated or conflicting info; they have a hard time keeping up with it.

Yoodie

Reaction score

I have had decent luck with the build and price on nadaguides.com it seems to be pretty up to date with changes and sometimes explains configuration conflicts. Obviously it is not as accurate as dealer order system but it might help you pre-game your dealer interactions.

Edit: I tried your build on Nada and it didn’t change anything so it might be just a Ram Configurator glitch. Obviously I can’t state this as fact but configurator is known to glitch and be behind the times on what is actually avail to order.

Last edited:

ramhead

Reaction score
That link takes me to a 2019 with the black appearance package.

I'm trying to configure a 2020 with the Night Edition package.

Oops..sorry - I didn't even know at this point you could configure a 19.....I went through again with the 2020 and you're right....it's all f'ed up. I can't see why it keeps kicking the selections down....you can't even select the 5.7 with a Level 2 package (it auto corrects it back to the 6 cyl.). Like said above, you're only option at this point is to go to a dealer or check dealer websites to see if you can find anything close to what you looking for to get an idea on price.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And then the dealership needs to call their supplier rep -- I was not allowed the Pano Roof with eTorque (and we figured it was just because it was end-of-year of the 2019s as they geared up for the 2020s), so I opted for standard Hemi.

Your local dealership may be able to get what you want, or wait 1-2 weeks and try again.

Grouper

Reaction score
Well, the plot thickens. I went to the local dealer and spent 30+ minutes speaking with a very laid back, no pressure sales guy. He simply could not configure the truck the way I desire and neither he nor anyone else in the dealership knew why it wasn't possible.

He's going to reach out to whomever it is at Ram/FCA that would know and get back to me. Those people don't work weekends :)

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, the plot thickens. I went to the local dealer and spent 30+ minutes speaking with a very laid back, no pressure sales guy. He simply could not configure the truck the way I desire and neither he nor anyone else in the dealership knew why it wasn't possible.

He's going to reach out to whomever it is at Ram/FCA that would know and get back to me. Those people don't work weekends :)

Hang in there .. it took over 3 weeks for me to get mine ordered (but still had to opt out of the eTorque). They (the Sales Manager and my Salesman) tried every day or every other day until it went through. Their Corporate person never did reply to them either.

ramhead

Reaction score

I went back on the Ram Trucks site....I put in all options you mention you wanted and you can build it out (link below)...BUT...only if you select the 5.7 with E-torque. Perhaps this is FCA's way of forcing people to take their stupid E torque system?? Since they put so much money into developing it and manufacturing the units, maybe they are making it difficult to build a V8 with certain options without the E Torque system. My guess is the majority of buyers of the 19s didn't want the E torque and dealers had problems getting rid of them (and/or they have a glut of unused units) and now are making them mandatory (or at least jumping thru hoops to make a change) with specific order groups.

Untitled-1.jpg

NOTE* - For some reason this link isn't showing the night edition when you click on the link below - when clicking link it deletes it...you can go down and add it in and it will include it in the build sheet/price with the options as in screen cap above.

Last edited:

Grouper

Reaction score
Hang in there .. it took over 3 weeks for me to get mine ordered (but still had to opt out of the eTorque). They (the Sales Manager and my Salesman) tried every day or every other day until it went through. Their Corporate person never did reply to them either.
Interesting. It seems the large majority of in-stock trucks across the nation have the eTorque, which I do not want. That's part of the problem in creating this configuration.

I'll update when I know more.

Grouper

Reaction score
I went back on the Ram Trucks site....I put in all options you mention you wanted and you can build it out (link below)...BUT...only if you select the 5.7 with E-torque.
Yep, I've been able to put that together as well. I don't want the eTorque though.

Reaction score
As said earlier, Marketing Strategy.
Examples of many:
What in the world is the relationship between a convenience group and a 33 gallon fuel tank?
I certainly cannot see what an increased fuel capacity has to do with the features listed in the convenience groups.
However, try to add the increase fuel capacity and it makes you choose between two choices of convenience groups. Makes no sense to me.
Another: you can get an e-locker in a V6 Pentastar, 3.21 gears 4X4
Try to order a e-locker in a V6 Pentastar, 3.21 gears 4X2 and it is a No Go! I doubt it has anything to do with 4X4 vs 4X2 because it will allow the e- locker in a 4X2 with a mandatory change to a V8 with another mandatory selection of 3.92 gears.
There is no logic. It is simply an arbitrary decision made somewhere in the corporate chain.

EDIT: I think the only way a truly custom build can be obtained is if when you order someone with the authority somewhere in the chain could allow an "over ride" of the algorithms built into the mechanism of ordering and building of a truck. I have serious doubts as to whether or not this can be accomplished. Seems as though In todays world no one ever uses logic or common sense to make an informed decision. If something does't fit the algorithm placed in that artificial brain ( computer ) that we all live by today, it just is not going to happen.

Last edited:

Grouper

Reaction score
Although I have not yet heard back from the dealer, I think the engine option situation is somehow tied to the Laramie Level 2 trim package.

I am able to configure a truck almost exactly as I list in my first post if I choose a Big Horn. Night Edition, Level 2 trim, 33 gallon tank are all no problem with the Big Horn and a non-eTorque Hemi.

And I can select the non-eTorque Hemi on a Laramie. But as soon as you add the Level 2 trim package, if forces an eTorque engine.

When I search for Laramie Night Edition trucks in dealer inventory, every single one has an eTorque engine (6 or 8 cylinder). And there are Big Horn Night Edition trucks in dealer inventory with the non-eTorque Hemi.

I'm starting to think that for whatever reason, if I want a Laramie Night Edition (which requires Level 2 trim), there will be no getting around the eTorque.

ramhead

Reaction score
Although I have not yet heard back from the dealer, I think the engine option situation is somehow tied to the Laramie Level 2 trim package.

I am able to configure a truck almost exactly as I list in my first post if I choose a Big Horn. Night Edition, Level 2 trim, 33 gallon tank are all no problem with the Big Horn and a non-eTorque Hemi.

And I can select the non-eTorque Hemi on a Laramie. But as soon as you add the Level 2 trim package, if forces an eTorque engine.

When I search for Laramie Night Edition trucks in dealer inventory, every single one has an eTorque engine (6 or 8 cylinder). And there are Big Horn Night Edition trucks in dealer inventory with the non-eTorque Hemi.

I'm starting to think that for whatever reason, if I want a Laramie Night Edition (which requires Level 2 trim), there will be no getting around the eTorque.

Agreed...and as I said previously, there is no doubt they are trying to foist the E Torque on certain trim level buyers in order to sell them & get off their hands. I'm also willing to bet the E Torque will die a quiet death and not be an option within a few years. Auto manufacturers don't like to admit or accept their failures but have them fade away.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed...and as I said previously, there is no doubt they are trying to foist the E Torque on certain trim level buyers in order to sell them & get off their hands. I'm also willing to bet the E Torque will die a quiet death and not be an option within a few years. Auto manufacturers don't like to admit or accept their failures but have them fade away.
Failure? As a former GM Quadrasteer owner, I can tell you that even beautifully-executed ideas sometimes fail to sell. And as a current eTorque owner, I’d say the system has been flawless. Pricing was only $800 for us early adopters...maybe that’s been the “failure” for later buyers.

Users who are viewing this thread