5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Completely bolt in/on Muffler suggestions ?

Phillip Berk

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. I am considering changing the exhaust on my 2020 Bighorn, my only thing I hate cutting and welding/ clamps. I've seen a couple systems that claim to be bolt on but read reviews saying they need some cutting. Does anyone have a system that is actually 100% bolt on, so I can remove it and put it back to stock if I ever desire too? I don't want a full catback for cost reasons and would much rather just do replace the muffler, and leave stock tips and resonators. I am not looking for something loud, just a bit more rumble then stock without drone. Thanks Again. If this thread already exist somewhere Sorry in advance, I searched and could not find anything. IMG_9728.jpg

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
I highly recommend the Flowmaster outlaw. You do have to cut in one spot, right before the factory muffler, but you don't need to weld anything. You clamp it where you cut and it bolts on the other end. It stays plenty tight without a weld.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
None that I know of without going with a full cat-back system. You will need to cut out the old muffler, but the direct fits do allow you to install it at home instead of getting a welder. However, even the instructions recommend putting on a bead in order to make sure they don't loosen over time.

But my service advisor highly recommended going the full welding route instead because the clamp on ones do have a tendency to get loose over time. Plus its a lot cheaper to simply get the muffler and have a muffler shop switch it out.

I agree with Thewrangler73, I absolutely love my Flowmater Outlow. Sounds great, especially if you like things on the louder side, however no drone at highway speeds. Assuming you aren't running MDS (4-cylinder mode). Most systems will drone somewhat if MDS is allowed to run, I simply disable mine by setting my gear limiter to 8 speeds.

Phillip Berk

Reaction score
None that I know of without going with a full cat-back system. You will need to cut out the old muffler, but the direct fits do allow you to install it at home instead of getting a welder. However, even the instructions recommend putting on a bead in order to make sure they don't loosen over time.

But my service advisor highly recommended going the full welding route instead because the clamp on ones do have a tendency to get loose over time. Plus its a lot cheaper to simply get the muffler and have a muffler shop switch it out.

I agree with Thewrangler73, I absolutely love my Flowmater Outlow. Sounds great, especially if you like things on the louder side, however no drone at highway speeds. Assuming you aren't running MDS (4-cylinder mode). Most systems will drone somewhat if MDS is allowed to run, I simply disable mine by setting my gear limiter to 8 speeds.
If you set the gear limiter to 8 it will keep MDS from turning on? I didn't know that. I love loud exhaust, but for the next couple months my dad is using the truck as well and would prefer it tamer, I know the flowmaster outlaw series is pretty aggressive. plus my jag is already pretty loud and its nice having something lowkey. well hopefully I can find a bolt in solution, if not it looks like cutting is my only option.

Shives

Reaction score
Ha anyone taken off the cut back exhaust systems, to go back to factory? Like when they have traded in? Dealerships are deducting for aftermarket exhausts on trade in.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
If you set the gear limiter to 8 it will keep MDS from turning on? I didn't know that. I love loud exhaust, but for the next couple months my dad is using the truck as well and would prefer it tamer, I know the flowmaster outlaw series is pretty aggressive. plus my jag is already pretty loud and its nice having something lowkey. well hopefully I can find a bolt in solution, if not it looks like cutting is my only option.

Yup, that's one method. Remember it resets anytime you turn off the truck or change gear out of drive, such as waiting at a drive-thru and putting it in park and then drive again, you will need to reset it. You can also simply press the tow/haul mode. The tow/haul mode from my experience doesn't seem to really do much other than wait a little longer before going into 8th gear and also downshifting earlier and quicker when breaking & of course disabling MDS.

Tons of tamer exhaust for you out there that will suite your needs, hopefully maybe a less costlier catback system will be your best option for a no-cut system.

puba08

Reaction score
I just installed the Carven cut and clamp kit with 5” tips. Easy to install in your driveway.
The muffler is nice and not loud at all despite the many clips on YouTube. I had the FM Outlaw on my 4th Gen and I loved it. Wish I would have went with the Outlaw on my 5th Gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Itsallgoodhh

Reaction score
I went with the Carven cut and clamp and there is enough left behind the muffler after you cut it that you could go back to stock if you wanted to. I tried it with resonators on and it wasn’t getting it done, wispy sound out of .resonators. I had the resonators removed and also added the 5” tips and WOW,AMAZING SOUND NO DRONE. I researched HOURS of video, installation, sound clips and warranty on different products and Carven took the top in my book. I also have K&N CAI and throttle commander installed, definitely look forward to driving it every day.

puba08

Reaction score
I went with the Carven cut and clamp and there is enough left behind the muffler after you cut it that you could go back to stock if you wanted to. I tried it with resonators on and it wasn’t getting it done, wispy sound out of .resonators. I had the resonators removed and also added the 5” tips and WOW,AMAZING SOUND NO DRONE. I researched HOURS of video, installation, sound clips and warranty on different products and Carven took the top in my book. I also have K&N CAI and throttle commander installed, definitely look forward to driving it every day.

Hmmm you got me thinking to try removing the resonators.

Itsallgoodhh

Reaction score
Hmmm you got me thinking to try removing the resonators.

You won’t be disappointed, nice rumble going thru town and unleash the beast when you get on it !

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My Borla ATAK was a 100% bolt in. No cutting or welding required or even recommended. sounds great, and zero drone while driving.

ncgrl1

Reaction score
I have a Carven I took off today. Used about 1,000 miles. Sounds awesome, but too loud for me when pulling travel trailer. It's in perfect condition if your interested.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Carven I took off today. Used about 1,000 miles. Sounds awesome, but too loud for me when pulling travel trailer. It's in perfect condition if your interested.

Please post this under Sell/Trade with the price, picture and location.

Dep668

Reaction score

Thats like my situation. I put on the MBRP bolt on muffler. It sounds great. Sound can be kind of annoying on the highway at times though. In cabin resonance. ECO mode doesnt sound good. But i would set gearing to 8, so that it doesnt come on. Plugging the weeping holes made a big difference with this one as well. I kept the stock resonators on.

But towing my aluminum fishing boat, the drone/resonance in cabin isnt tolerable at all. When doing a 2 hour each way trip on the weekends, it drives you crazy. So I will be removing it. I was thinking of trying a magnaflow or other variant thats not as aggressive. But after all this, I believe when towing, I will have issues with whatever route I go other than stock. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. I am considering changing the exhaust on my 2020 Bighorn, my only thing I hate cutting and welding/ clamps. I've seen a couple systems that claim to be bolt on but read reviews saying they need some cutting. Does anyone have a system that is actually 100% bolt on, so I can remove it and put it back to stock if I ever desire too? I don't want a full catback for cost reasons and would much rather just do replace the muffler, and leave stock tips and resonators. I am not looking for something loud, just a bit more rumble then stock without drone. Thanks Again. If this thread already exist somewhere Sorry in advance, I searched and could not find anything. View attachment 68525
thats what I'm planning on doing....only no matter what the stock muffler will need to be cut off. But welding a new muffler on is highly recommended. Personally....I won't use anything other than MagnaFlow mufflers or Aero Turbine mufflers. I don't like the chambered design of flowmaster since they dont provide much more flow than stock.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
thats what I'm planning on doing....only no matter what the stock muffler will need to be cut off. But welding a new muffler on is highly recommended. Personally....I won't use anything other than MagnaFlow mufflers or Aero Turbine mufflers. I don't like the chambered design of flowmaster since they dont provide much more flow than stock.

Unless it's the Flowmaster Outlaw, it's barely wider than the stock pipe :)

SD Rebel

Reaction score
This is true lol...good for waking up the neighbors...a mile away haha.

Yeah, it's definitely on the louder side, buy hey, when I switched to a Hemi V8, I want me and everyone around me to always know it :)

The good thing is it doesn't drone at highway speeds, though you will need to disable MDS or it will drone regardless, though that goes for most aftermarket systems.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, it's definitely on the louder side, buy hey, when I switched to a Hemi V8, I want me and everyone around me to always know it :)

The good thing is it doesn't drone at highway speeds, though you will need to disable MDS or it will drone regardless, though that goes for most aftermarket systems.
Yea the MDS has been proven to cause headaches in that sense lol. I'm still thinking I might go with the 18 inch Magnaflow while keeping the resonators.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yea the MDS has been proven to cause headaches in that sense lol. I'm still thinking I might go with the 18 inch Magnaflow while keeping the resonators.

I enjoyed my Magnaflows with my Mustang GT, they will break-in and get slightly louder. If you want a more mellow, smoother and overall quieter sound, it's a great way to go. You got 3 resonators to play with on the RAM, those two big ones out back and that 3rd one ahead of the cat. I think they do help with drone.

But I'm not a fan of the 8 weep holes on each of the rear resonators, especially on cold start-up, they are very noticeable when standing behind the truck. But an easy fix, you can plug them up, I may just leave the weep holes in the rear which will still help with rusting and greatly reduce the "airy" sound. But a lot of folks simply remove them and I heard it's awesome sounding!

Users who are viewing this thread