5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complaints by others are ruining my excitement.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Welcome tap-it-up!

I'm pretty new here too... don't let complaints discourage you - as with anything, people will go out of their way to complain about something more than praise something... and it makes sense, when you spend money you have certain expectations - when expectations are met, all is status quo - when they are not, opinions are expressed.

I've read many, many threads here - it's a good group of people and there is a lot of good info... I've found myself checking my truck for various "issues" that I read others mentioning and fortunately nothing has been seriously wrong with my truck.

You made a good choice - and should have confidence that your experience will be enjoyable. Learn from the threads, but don't let them dissuade you. And rejoice in the fact that there are many threads praising these trucks... theres a lot to like. :)

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I won’t repeat the very great feedback from the prior posts which sum up everything nicely. I am a happy and lucky Rebel owner. Other than a USB gremlin I have had a pristine experience at 12k and counting. My one suggestion for a bit of piece of mind is that there is a pre delivery checklist floating around the forum here. If you do purchase print it out and take it with you. Go over your vehicle very very VERY thoroughly, in the daylight, before accepting it.

One thing you might want to do is check the front carpets and rear headliner for wetness or water stains. While 99% of everything else can be fixed with software updates or rather simple mechanical adjustments (tsb’s), I see the water leak issue as potentially more problematic. I would feel better knowing everything is dry and that is has sat through at least one pouring rain. It might even be worth it to ask them to throw it in their detailing bay and put a hose on the third brake light, shark fin antenna, along door frames and roof and windshield/cowl. Might sound a bit kooky but at least you would have peace of mind as far as water leaks. Also, test the AC and make sure it’s cold enough for your liking, especially in warmer parts of the country.

If all checks out, enjoy your RAM!

Benji80

Reaction score
I bought mine in October of 2018. It was one of the earlier trucks built. I've had every problem you can imagine with this truck but I think you should be fine. The later production ones have been better and since yours is a 2020 I'm sure they ironed all the issues out

DesertRebel

Reaction score
I bought mine in October of 2018. It was one of the earlier trucks built. I've had every problem you can imagine with this truck but I think you should be fine. The later production ones have been better and since yours is a 2020 I'm sure they ironed all the issues out
This is a good point that people need to realize... first year vehicles always have bugs to work out.

I'm not suggesting the current gen Ram truck is an entirely new vehicle - but from what I can tell, there are several changes from previous models. I'm new to Chrysler/Fiat/Ram ... previously a Ford guy with three F-150s and prior to that cars - primarily Nissan/Infiniti and Honda/Accura.

I bought an Accura Integra in 1990 just after they made changes to that model... I bought an Infiniti G35 late 2004 just after they made changes to that first year model (and several other vehicles that were not close to model year changes)... I never buy a first year model vehicle or first year change - until it's been out long enough to have initial bugs worked out. Often times half year vehicles will have many of the initial problems fixed.

Having that been said - those that take the plunge on first year changes will give feedback on the problems - they are a very necessary part of the process. No manufacturer catches every issue prior to production. Some might be better than others, but none have all problems worked out before the public buys the vehilce... so, much of the complaints we see are from the first rollout of current changes. problems that persist are ones to be concerned about, and as Patsy1099 stated a couple posts above, inspect the vehicle in detail prior to making the deal - the more you know about persistent problems (from forums and research), the better prepared you'll be.

Overall I'm convinced Ram is doing things right to change the previous Dodge image. These are really nice trucks with the same idiosyncrasies that all manufacturers have.

RJS

Reaction score
This is a good point that people need to realize... first year vehicles always have bugs to work out.

I'm not suggesting the current gen Ram truck is an entirely new vehicle - but from what I can tell, there are several changes from previous models. I'm new to Chrysler/Fiat/Ram ... previously a Ford guy with three F-150s and prior to that cars - primarily Nissan/Infiniti and Honda/Accura.

I bought an Accura Integra in 1990 just after they made changes to that model... I bought an Infiniti G35 late 2004 just after they made changes to that first year model (and several other vehicles that were not close to model year changes)... I never buy a first year model vehicle or first year change - until it's been out long enough to have initial bugs worked out. Often times half year vehicles will have many of the initial problems fixed.

Having that been said - those that take the plunge on first year changes will give feedback on the problems - they are a very necessary part of the process. No manufacturer catches every issue prior to production. Some might be better than others, but none have all problems worked out before the public buys the vehilce... so, much of the complaints we see are from the first rollout of current changes. problems that persist are ones to be concerned about, and as Patsy1099 stated a couple posts above, inspect the vehicle in detail prior to making the deal - the more you know about persistent problems (from forums and research), the better prepared you'll be.

Overall I'm convinced Ram is doing things right to change the previous Dodge image. These are really nice trucks with the same idiosyncrasies that all manufacturers have.
Not to dampen anyone excitement about quality improvements, "BUT" FCA has had years to re-mediate broken exhaust bolts and brake light leaks but they still show up as issues frequently on the forum. While I'm a happy 19 Laramie owner (1/19 build) and I do believe there is something to be said about assembly getting better with time, nothing beats a good drive before buying the Ram and also dealing with dealer that has a reputation of resolving problems. My 19 had a couple of issues that I missed on the initial drive but they were fixed within the first week of ownership. I took it back, they opened two star cases and the truck was back the next day repaired.
As said before, it's an issue with all manufactures, so buy what you like and move on.

Users who are viewing this thread