5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compass, gps, and CarPlay navigation issues. UConnect 4 8.4” non nav

Bloodbath

Reaction score
I have just recently purchased a slightly used 2019 ram 1500 sport, with the UConnect 4 8.4” non nav. I am having compass issues showing me at least 90 degrees off most of the time. If I have the clock setting to GPS it puts me an hour ahead in the next time zone, CarPlay maps puts me 1000km away in same time zone as clock gps

The first time I plugged in my I phone and opened maps it instantly showed me 1000km away from my actual location. This in turn changed my phone to believe it was there in a different time zone with my phone clock changing respectively.
Unplugged and reset my phone. Tried again same thing. Had a friend try their phone, same thing.
So I stopped using CarPlay for the time being and continued on. Figuring it must be a setting somewhere and I’ll figure it out later.
Even better.... after using CarPlay and even after having to reset my phone compass/gps I open mobile order apps on my phone such as Starbucks, and even that app has me located 1000km away. Arghhhh I cant win.

Next I start to notice the time in my truck is an hour forward. (The same time zone CarPlay nav thought I was in) went into settings and deselected “set time with GPS” manually set the time. Next day I changed it back to gps and it worked okay for a few short trips. Then.... bam time is an hour forward again.

Also the compass shows me at least 90 degrees off 50% of the time.

These 3 things have to be related to one setting. I have found multiple threads on these issues individually but no real fixes for it.
I have my dodge booked into dealership for 3 recalls and hopefully they can figure this one out. Unfortunately it’s not for another 2 weeks. It would all depend on who controls that setting. Dodge? UConnect? Or Sirius XM?

Last edited:

kirkelli

Reaction score
I have just recently purchased a slightly used 2019 ram 1500 sport, with the UConnect 4 8.4” non nav. I am having compass issues showing me at least 90 degrees off most of the time. If I have the clock setting to GPS it puts me an hour ahead in the next time zone, CarPlay maps puts me 1000km away in same time zone as clock gps

The first time I plugged in my I phone and opened maps it instantly showed me 1000km away from my actual location. This in turn changed my phone to believe it was there in a different time zone with my phone clock changing respectively.
Unplugged and reset my phone. Tried again same thing. Had a friend try their phone, same thing.
So I stopped using CarPlay for the time being and continued on. Figuring it must be a setting somewhere and I’ll figure it out later.
Even better.... after using CarPlay and even after having to reset my phone compass/gps I open mobile order apps on my phone such as Starbucks, and even that app has me located 1000km away. Arghhhh I cant win.

Next I start to notice the time in my truck is an hour forward. (The same time zone CarPlay nav thought I was in) went into settings and deselected “set time with GPS” manually set the time. Next day I changed it back to gps and it worked okay for a few short trips. Then.... bam time is an hour forward again.

Also the compass shows me at least 90 degrees off 50% of the time.

These 3 things have to be related to one setting. I have found multiple threads on these issues individually but no real fixes for it.
I have my dodge booked into dealership for 3 recalls and hopefully they can figure this one out. Unfortunately it’s not for another 2 weeks. It would all depend on who controls that setting. Dodge? UConnect? Or Sirius XM?
Good Luck.. I have been fighting these issues for 4 months.. Chrysler stopped replacing units because it wasn't fixing the issues. Right now i get the run around syndrome. And i think it's because they are waiting for software changes to fix these issues.. I am on the last straw cornering this issue. I contacted Fiat and told them i want this fixed or turn my vehicle back under the Lemon Law. Fiat arranged to get me a Loaner vehicle until mine is completely 100% fixed. Funny thing is,, my loaner is a 2019 Ram 1500, 380 miles, with the 8.4 uconnect car play radio and it's is doing the same dam thing.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Mine was doing the same thing with showing my location in Sterling Heights, MI, where the FCA plant is. Every once in awhile it would work fine but then revert back. I made an appointment for a few things to be looked and before taking it in I discovered there was a TSB out for this issue. Funny thing is, my truck started showing the correct location all the time a week before taking it in. I had the TSB done anyway and have not had a single issue since then.

Sorry, I don't have the TSB right now, but if you search the site you should be able to find it.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The dealer should be able to apply any open tsb’s for your vehicle. They should have checked that before delivering this vehicle. You will be best served going in to the dealer for a scheduled appt with the tsb in hand in order to assist them. You can find a list of tsbs on the forum in the tsb thread. You can also message @RamCares jere in the forum and they will try and assist so your appt goes more smoothly.

kirkelli

Reaction score
The dealer should be able to apply any open tsb’s for your vehicle. They should have checked that before delivering this vehicle. You will be best served going in to the dealer for a scheduled appt with the tsb in hand in order to assist them. You can find a list of tsbs on the forum in the tsb thread. You can also message @RamCares jere in the forum and they will try and assist so your appt goes more smoothly.
The truck has been at the Dealer, now the 5th time with this problem. Visit 1 & 2 involved reprogramming attempts, updates etc., but no fix. Was told on visit 3 radio was bad and they need to order new radio. Then on visit 4&5 was told more testing needed to be done.. I got Fiat involved on visit 5 under condition i have a loaner vehicle until dealer either fixes or determines it cant.. Next step is Lemon Law.. I am not concerned suggesting to dealer various TSBS. That's there job, If they can't figure out their business, they shouldn't be in business. And i can't figure out how this particular dealer stays in business.. Their customer service is really bad..

Bloodbath

Reaction score
Mine was doing the same thing with showing my location in Sterling Heights, MI, where the FCA plant is. Every once in awhile it would work fine but then revert back. I made an appointment for a few things to be looked and before taking it in I discovered there was a TSB out for this issue. Funny thing is, my truck started showing the correct location all the time a week before taking it in. I had the TSB done anyway and have not had a single issue since then.

Sorry, I don't have the TSB right now, but if you search the site you should be able to find it.
Th

Thanks, I’ll have to find that TSB somewhere because i have a service booked for a weeks time. To get the recalls done.

From all the research I’ve done this is the first I’m hearing of a TSB, so I do appreciate a new lead into this issue.

KY DodgeGuy

Reaction score
Interesting. New 2019 Ram Big Horn, 8.4 screen. No navigation. I have no trouble connecting to Carplay but when using Waze, it may sometimes take 30 minutes for the unit to figure out where you are. For me, it reverts to my home location of my Waze app. It works great until the truck is turned off or the phone is disconnected. The phone, a 10R has the correct location until the phone is plugged into the USB cable, then it reverts to home and tries to direct me using the local roads. I've also noticed that when this happens the compass in the truck also quits working. I live in Ky and when visiting Ft Worth TX the compass would rarely work. Any idea when a fix may arrive?

Newguy

Reaction score
This could be worth a try, worked for me. Unplug your truck battery negative terminal, wait about a half hour, and connect again. I was having similar issues where my compass was 180 degrees off at times, and GPS issues, and this worked. I had taken in to the dealer and they couldn't figure it out, then I tried this based on someone else's posting, and it worked for me.

BAM564

Reaction score
Interesting. New 2019 Ram Big Horn, 8.4 screen. No navigation. I have no trouble connecting to Carplay but when using Waze, it may sometimes take 30 minutes for the unit to figure out where you are. For me, it reverts to my home location of my Waze app. It works great until the truck is turned off or the phone is disconnected. The phone, a 10R has the correct location until the phone is plugged into the USB cable, then it reverts to home and tries to direct me using the local roads. I've also noticed that when this happens the compass in the truck also quits working. I live in Ky and when visiting Ft Worth TX the compass would rarely work. Any idea when a fix may arrive?
I am having the exact same problem.

Kurt T

Reaction score
Same problem here. When I'm driving north the compass show south. It's not a problem until i try to run the Apple Play and the GPS and map are way off. I live in Michigan but the map show that I'm in Atlanta GA. I've tried everything mention on here. Disconnected the battery, drove in circles, nothing works. Very frustrating........

Users who are viewing this thread