5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comparison - Pedal Commander vs Pulsar

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE: I uninstalled and disconnected the negative battery terminal. Reinstalled everything and left it on City +2 and all systems go for now. I called pedal commander and told them my story. They basically said that if you are using the app to cycle through setting you have to do it slowly. If you go from sport to city and then hit + too quickly it will freak out. Patience is a virtue I still haven’t mastered. thats probably why a previous meme bee mentioned he has zero issues with the unit changing settings but does when using the app.

next question I have...what setting to use while towing? Turn it off an use Tow/Haul mode on the truck? Try using it in Eco mode and using Tow/haul?

DesertRebel

Reaction score
^^^ glad you got it working - and hopefully enjoying it.

I would turn it off when towing. No reason for the thing at that time.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ glad you got it working - and hopefully enjoying it.

I would turn it off when towing. No reason for the thing at that time.

I forgot to mention I live in fully flat Florida so I wasn’t sure if it wouldn’t be a bad idea to throw it in Eco mode to try and help the mileage while towing. I don’t tow on a regular basis so it’ll be a while before I can test any theories.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
I forgot to mention I live in fully flat Florida so I wasn’t sure if it wouldn’t be a bad idea to throw it in Eco mode to try and help the mileage while towing. I don’t tow on a regular basis so it’ll be a while before I can test any theories.
I've read in some thread that people had problems in eco mode... not necessarily towing, but I thinkI remember someone saying it threw codes in eco.

Based on your previous experience, maybe stay out of it? But if you're trying to test its limits, maybe it's the thing to do.

For me, the Ram needed better throttle response for daily driving. I recognized it from the beginning, before knowing anything about PC... the unit fixes that problem, no doubt. But I wouldn't need better throttle response when towing - I think stock in tow mode makes the most sense.

Just my .02

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've read in some thread that people had problems in eco mode... not necessarily towing, but I thinkI remember someone saying it threw codes in eco.

Based on your previous experience, maybe stay out of it? But if you're trying to test its limits, maybe it's the thing to do.

For me, the Ram needed better throttle response for daily driving. I recognized it from the beginning, before knowing anything about PC... the unit fixes that problem, no doubt. But I wouldn't need better throttle response when towing - I think stock in tow mode makes the most sense.

Just my .02
You probably already stated but what is your favorite setting?

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Got mine installed and wow, what a mod. Why RAM couldn't add the programming they (FCA) already include on various other vehicles via Sport, etc modes is a shame.

I'm really liking Sport +2. Very good off the line getting up to speed and it drops 4 gears on the highway in the blink of an eye.

I've played around with Eco a bit and can see that being very useful in snow and ice on one of the minus settings. Eco +2 feels like stock to me. I'll try out City next.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Played around a little more and I'm really liking City +3. That will probably be my go to for now. Instant throttle, nice downshifts and doesn't light the tires as easy taking off. Really want to try Eco minus on some bad roads.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wish I were drinking what some of you guys were... I got one of these and it did nothing for throttle lag. Regardless of setting, foot down still takes half a second for the truck to respond, and I don't see how a throttle input modifier could change that. Something further down the line than the pedal is causing lag. Waste of $300 and glad I sold mine. Will buy a cheap $70 eBay unit to do the same thing as far as making the throttle more sensitive which is all these things do in this truck.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not much of a kool-aid sipper.

The PC works perfectly in my truck,and I am very please. Not only am I happy with how the PC interfaces in my truck, but I was able to score a brand new PC07 from a company out in CA i found on the net for $160 shipped to my home.

Sadly there are others like yourself that the unit did not meet expectations.
Glad you were able to try the PC and profitability get out of it.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wish I were drinking what some of you guys were... I got one of these and it did nothing for throttle lag. Regardless of setting, foot down still takes half a second for the truck to respond, and I don't see how a throttle input modifier could change that. Something further down the line than the pedal is causing lag. Waste of $300 and glad I sold mine. Will buy a cheap $70 eBay unit to do the same thing as far as making the throttle more sensitive which is all these things do in this truck.
The lag people refer to, for the most part, is the "I just pressed my pedal half way to the floor, and the truck accelerated gingerly to 30 MPH, then I installed the PC and pressed the pedal half way to the floor, and the truck sprinted to 30 MPH." If you thought it would eliminate the lag from slamming the pedal to the floor, the computer computing that you want way more than it was ready to give you and relaying that signal to the tranny, then you are indeed correct, that lag will remain in the system, but its not the lag most are attempting to eliminate.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The lag people refer to, for the most part, is the "I just pressed my pedal half way to the floor, and the truck accelerated gingerly to 30 MPH, then I installed the PC and pressed the pedal half way to the floor, and the truck sprinted to 30 MPH." If you thought it would eliminate the lag from slamming the pedal to the floor, the computer computing that you want way more than it was ready to give you and relaying that signal to the tranny, then you are indeed correct, that lag will remain in the system, but its not the lag most are attempting to eliminate.
Fair enough. I find the inital lag much more aggravating. I can live with the lethargic throttle mapping, but waiting for the truck to respond from a stop, or even at speed, is annoying. I've owned about 20 vehicles, and this one stands out as by far the worst. What's even stranger is that it seems to lag beyond just the pedal. I often will activate/set ACC speed once I reach the speed with the pedal. In every other vehicle I've had, ACC will maintain that speed as soon as I let off the pedal. In these trucks, I typically lose 1-2 MPH before ACC resumes throttle.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Fair enough. I find the inital lag much more aggravating. I can live with the lethargic throttle mapping, but waiting for the truck to respond from a stop, or even at speed, is annoying. I've owned about 20 vehicles, and this one stands out as by far the worst. What's even stranger is that it seems to lag beyond just the pedal. I often will activate/set ACC speed once I reach the speed with the pedal. In every other vehicle I've had, ACC will maintain that speed as soon as I let off the pedal. In these trucks, I typically lose 1-2 MPH before ACC resumes throttle.
And for me that's exactly what the PC fixed, throttle tip in. It's varying levels of "instant" between city, sport and sport+. I know exactly what you're saying with lack of response from a stop or from a roll. In sport +2 if I breath on the throttle it will spin the tires from a stop or even at a roll if the road isn't dry. City calms that down but it's still there. It also drops several more gears at a time than stock.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And for me that's exactly what the PC fixed, throttle tip in. It's varying levels of "instant" between city, sport and sport+. I know exactly what you're saying with lack of response from a stop or from a roll. In sport +2 if I breath on the throttle it will spin the tires from a stop or even at a roll if the road isn't dry. City calms that down but it's still there. It also drops several more gears at a time than stock.

Well, I had the PC and it did absolutely nothing for me in that regard. Is your truck eTorque? Mine is. Maybe that's a factor.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Well, I had the PC and it did absolutely nothing for me in that regard. Is your truck eTorque? Mine is. Maybe that's a factor.

Yep, eTorque. Something had to be wrong with the PC unit you had. Like I said there is a very distinct difference you can immediately feel in the different modes. Tons of reviews and youtube videos showing the same.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Installed Vitesse Motorsports Throttle controller 300 miles round trip. Is lag still there yes. Not as bad as stock. Like the ECO mode in snow and slippery condition
Much smoother acceleration for better traction.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Debating between the PC and Pulsar currently. From what I've been reading I'm thinking PC is the way to go. Although I have a 19 Laramie and on their website I only see trim options for everything else besides Laramie. Is that correct?

BONES55

Reaction score
Posted this over in general but thought I'd add it here too in case OP has not pulled the trigger on one yet!

My Pedal Commander arrived today, after the very difficult 5 minute installation, I set it on Sport and went for a Costco run. Holy s!#t! What am incredible product! My driver's license is in serious jeopardy now! Does this thing come with a Get Outta Jail free card? Seriously, even on Sport mode, the RAM now feels like the Charger RT I love so much! (Wanted to buy a Scat Pack but it wouldn't pull my travel trailer or haul my dirtbike!) WOW, WOW, WOW! I now have the best of both! The lazy throttle response was driving me crazy, that is long gone now! Just pressing on the pedal as I have become accustomed to stock, that Hemi responds NOW, and with fury! At 52yrs old, I'm driving like a teenager! May have to dial it back until I grow up a little! If you are even considering something like this, go for it!! Especially now, they have 50 bucks off for xmas which makes it a great deal!
Ya it does everything you said it does. This is how the truck should've been set up from the factory. It seems like Ram is trying to target soccer moms instead of power and truck enthusiast. Get the PC

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Debating between the PC and Pulsar currently. From what I've been reading I'm thinking PC is the way to go. Although I have a 19 Laramie and on their website I only see trim options for everything else besides Laramie. Is that correct?
Matters not the trim level, sir. I too own a Laramie trimmed PC modded RAM.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has experienced a transmission issue when using the Pedal Commander. RAM opened a STAR case and had to rewire my engine and dash harnesses because the transmission would slip into neutral from 2nd gear when I would brake. Didn't happen every time, but became more problematic in the last couple of months. I had a PC on my truck from the fall of 2019. I took it off when it went to to dealer.. After the first rewire, the truck worked as designed. Then, I put the PC on again and within a day, the issue happened again. I noticed that the rpms dropped very quickly right before the transmission slipped into neutral. Thinking the PC caused this.. So, I took the truck back to the dealer and they rewired again. Just got it back and anxious about putting the PC on again. Anyone have some insight? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread