5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compare Ram to Ford

Genxeration

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m really puzzled that Ford doesn’t offer a night or black edition. If you want a higher level trim than Lariat, you better love chrome or be willing to drop thousands to dechrome the truck. Even the Lariat sport isn’t all blacked out. Then the ride doesn’t compare to the Ram, as Ford still uses rear leaf springs. They did up their game on interior for 2021 but IMO it’s still slightly short of the Ram’s interior.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m really puzzled that Ford doesn’t offer a night or black edition. If you want a higher level trim than Lariat, you better love chrome or be willing to drop thousands to dechrome the truck. Even the Lariat sport isn’t all blacked out. Then the ride doesn’t compare to the Ram, as Ford still uses rear leaf springs. They did up their game on interior for 2021 but IMO it’s still slightly short of the Ram’s interior.
Test drove the Ford in 2018 on a bad NYC road, great testing ground. Didn't find the ride much better than my 2001 Dodge 1500 SLT with the leaf springs. Very happy with my 2019 Ram 1500 ride.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe part of the equation for the Ford's #s is fleet sales.
This is 100% true, I run a fleet of almost 100 trucks and almost all of them are Ford because their pricing is so low. The last batch are RAM classics and HD's though so I think Ram might be catching on to that game.

Jako

Reaction score
This is 100% true, I run a fleet of almost 100 trucks and almost all of them are Ford because their pricing is so low. The last batch are RAM classics and HD's though so I think Ram might be catching on to that game.
Somewhat interesting. Fords are cheaper by the dozen? But cost more for individuals! I have no idea how the numbers work.
Ford really did nothing for me as far as attraction - no wow factor at all. Took a test ride in a Ram by chance and it was an immediate "this is really nice" and told the salesman to find me a rough road for the test ride.
Would not have bought the Ford at any price.

Jako

Reaction score
My wife's cousin has been a Ford mechanic for almost 30 years now. He drives a Ram.
Whenever I show any interest in the F-150, he only says: "Don't."

Steve
When checking out the F-150 it was a slow summer Saturday at the dealership. Salesman was retired and working to keep busy. Told him I was a long term owner - he was honest I believe and told me to get the 8 cylinder motor and told me of some of the issues with other motors.

Rexx

Reaction score
Brand loyalty is a big part of Fords success.

Dodge’s reputation due to previous generations reliability issues also plays a part even if they’re no longer true with the current Ram lineups.

HemiDude

Reaction score
And not as nice looking! I wanted an F150 FOREVER...don't know why just did. But now...never. The interiors are hard plastic and I cannot stand that window drop thing they have going on.
I agree with your window comment. Funny thing is, I never consciously noticed it until I was looking for a truck. When I thought I wanted a Ford, I sat in one and thought "what the heck is going on with this door/window situation?" Looks like an incomplete design to me.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Somewhat interesting. Fords are cheaper by the dozen? But cost more for individuals! I have no idea how the numbers work.
Ford really did nothing for me as far as attraction - no wow factor at all. Took a test ride in a Ram by chance and it was an immediate "this is really nice" and told the salesman to find me a rough road for the test ride.
Would not have bought the Ford at any price.
To clarify- Ford sells base model fleet or work trucks lower than the others and has low prices locked in for government and corporate sales. Not so much how many you buy but what model and on what contract. Buying through Enterprise with Government pricing the contract price is frequently not much more than the residual retail value at 5 years/75,000 miles.

BigolHorn67

Reaction score
Just traded my 2018 F150 about 3 weeks ago for my new Ram. Had the F150 , which was still under warranty , at dealerships twice in the last year for a serious electrical or computer issue that could not be diagnosed. The second trip to dealer I was stranded 400 miles from home so I knew it was goodbye FMC & hello FCA again. The Ram definitely exceeds Ford with interior and comfort features. Only time will tell but I can say I am extremely pleased with the new truck in this short time frame.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 13 F150 FX4 wasn't a bad truck, it's just that Ram is a better truck.
I've owned trucks from Ford, Chevy, Toyota, and now Ram.

Each truck was more expensive than the previous, so it only stands to reason that the Ram is the nicest, but everyone that's been in my truck is wowed by it. Ram really did raise the bar with the latest version.

I have no regrets moving from Ford to Ram.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2018 F-150 XLT. Many problems, only kept 2.5 years and 26k miles. Ford is reluctant to fix things under warranty. The light bed and leaf springs made for a bad and jumpy ride even after putting on Blisteins. Was bad in the snow with the light bed, too, unless it was put in 4 HI. Just overall poorly built. Needed a 2nd dash replacement when I got rid of it. No 4A on XLT, even as an option. I paid about $40,200 on a sticker of $50,200 in Feb 2018. This past Sept I paid $43,500 on MSRP $55,135 Laramie. Better deal and WAY better truck.

Mark313

Reaction score
We have our own garage where I work and a couple of the mechanics were former Ford mechanics. They call the EcoBoost engines "EcoBoom" lol...

CMENT

Reaction score
Not going to lie, I'm very interested to see what the upcoming Tundra redesign has. It will set the stage for the next round of interiors/tech in the Toyota lineup. I love my Ram, but appreciate the durability of Toyota. Their albatross is the lack of modern tech and interior design.

I am also excited to see what the 2022 Tundra ends up to be. Supposedly, the big dealers got a glimpse of the new truck and are throwing around terms like "game changer" etc. Of course they are going to hype it up, but the lack of any true information leaks has me to believe it is going to be very good and competitive with the Ford and Ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread