5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compare Ram to Ford

BigD

Reaction score
Comparing the f150 XLT to Ram Big Horn. The ford does not have 4x4 auto or heated steering wheel. Although u do get side steps standard. The XLT is about $2,000 more than an equally equipped Big Horn. My question is why does Ford not offer 4x4 Auto until u get to the higher trim levels ? That to me is a deal breaker. Not to mention that hideous shifter that takes up half of your center counsel space. Still just wracking my brain trying to figure out how Ford stays #1 every year ?

highgear2005

Reaction score
My 2018 f150 was the worst truck I’ve owned! That’s why I’m driving a 2019 ram bighorn level 2. Few little issues in my first 1.5 of ownership and I’m happy with my decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borsig

Reaction score
Comparing the f150 XLT to Ram Big Horn. The ford does not have 4x4 auto or heated steering wheel. Although u do get side steps standard. The XLT is about $2,000 more than an equally equipped Big Horn. My question is why does Ford not offer 4x4 Auto until u get to the higher trim levels ? That to me is a deal breaker. Not to mention that hideous shifter that takes up half of your center counsel space. Still just wracking my brain trying to figure out how Ford stays #1 every year ?
Brand loyalty.

look at all the toyotas on he road, when those trucks have literally NOTHING to offer over US models.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ford has their options messed up across the board. You could buy a $22k Focus ST and it came with Homelink and HD Radio, but a $52k F150 XLT, fully loaded, doesn't, and wasn't even available. Regarding the shifter in the center console, I liked it on mine. I don't really care for the center console being just a huge hole, so the shifter and cup holders in the F150 gave it a clean look.

Ford has so many trim lines that they need to remove options from some of their trucks to allow for another trim to have them. You get the F150 XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum and Limited. You'd think with that many models, you would be able to get all kinds of options on any model, but that just isn't so.

BTW, I had my 2018 F150 XLT for less than a year when it was lemon lawed. It was so cheaply built.

BigD

Reaction score
My buddy's 2018 Ford f250 has been in the shop 1/2 dozen times. My 2013 Ram was at the shop twice, both were very minor things. My 2020 Ram has been perfect for 1 year now. Yet he will still argue all day & all night how awesome Ford is. 😂🤣

BigD

Reaction score
Ford has their options messed up across the board. You could buy a $22k Focus ST and it came with Homelink and HD Radio, but a $52k F150 XLT, fully loaded, doesn't, and wasn't even available. Regarding the shifter in the center console, I liked it on mine. I don't really care for the center console being just a huge hole, so the shifter and cup holders in the F150 gave it a clean look.

Ford has so many trim lines that they need to remove options from some of their trucks to allow for another trim to have them. You get the F150 XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum and Limited. You'd think with that many models, you would be able to get all kinds of options on any model, but that just isn't so.

BTW, I had my 2018 F150 XLT for less than a year when it was lemon lawed. It was so cheaply built.
But why can't u get 4x4 Auto in a Ford f150 XLT ? Seems like that should be standard equipment.

BobK

Reaction score
Having owned many new fords (Not trucks) one that I hate, is you get the Titanium or highest level and yet there are things it can still be missing. Some options. I only have a Big Horn so not sure how RAM does it, but Ford needs to learn from other brands. My wife's Subaru, If you pick the highest level like she did, it has everything. Period. So annoying to find a Titanium highest level Ford and yet there are still things missing from the options. Just another thing Ford needs to fix.

papac0rn

Reaction score
Add to what others have said here. I'm a long time Ford fanboy. My 2019 F150 King Ranch was piece of crap too. Poorly assembled and had numerous paint and body flaws. It was in and out of the dealer. Ford was slow and reluctant to repair it. The dealer kept having to take pictures and submit paperwork everytime there was an issue. If you get a trouble free one you might be fine. Unfortunately their largest expenditure is warranty claims and they are denying and paying the dealers as little as possible to make a customer happy. After owning Fords all my life purchase my first Ram a year ago. So far not single issue or problem. By far one of the best vehicles I have purchased. Hopefully it stays that way.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

saylor

Reaction score
heres a challenge - go find a ferd 150 xlt WITH the pano moonroof AND 4auto AND this color.
20210115_170438.jpg

i had to drive 6 hrs to get this one.

slatersan

Reaction score
Brand loyalty.

look at all the toyotas on he road, when those trucks have literally NOTHING to offer over US models.
Not going to lie, I'm very interested to see what the upcoming Tundra redesign has. It will set the stage for the next round of interiors/tech in the Toyota lineup. I love my Ram, but appreciate the durability of Toyota. Their albatross is the lack of modern tech and interior design.

Borsig

Reaction score
Not going to lie, I'm very interested to see what the upcoming Tundra redesign has. It will set the stage for the next round of interiors/tech in the Toyota lineup. I love my Ram, but appreciate the durability of Toyota. Their albatross is the lack of modern tech and interior design.
That's what happens when you rely on your previous generation's reliability to sell your next generation, instead of the merits of the new gen vehicle.

slatersan

Reaction score
That's what happens when you rely on your previous generation's reliability to sell your next generation, instead of the merits of the new gen vehicle.
They still sell and are super solid trucks. Toyota isn't stupid. They got a LONG run out of the current Tundra and Tacomas.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I believe part of the equation for the Ford's #s is fleet sales.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Holy crap, look how tiny the Ford looks compared to the Ram !
And not as nice looking! I wanted an F150 FOREVER...don't know why just did. But now...never. The interiors are hard plastic and I cannot stand that window drop thing they have going on.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2018 f150 was the worst truck I’ve owned! That’s why I’m driving a 2019 ram bighorn level 2. Few little issues in my first 1.5 of ownership and I’m happy with my decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 2015 XLT Scab 2.7 was a good truck for the year and 20K that I had it. I’d have preferred the Lariat to get the 4A and leather but couldn’t pony up the extra 6K. The 2.7 was a strong runner and the upgraded 2.7 is now even more so. RAM has got to bump up both the hemi’s hp and tq to stay competitive.

I would not do a supercab again, those suicide doors were a pain and rattled without a true door pillar to latch into.

Ford has a lot of owner loyalty and the ecoboost engines have proven to be a winner. Those and the alum bed were a real gamble. Now they have the new gas 7.3 and the 2 hybrids. Coming is all electric.
You gotta’ admit that they don’t “sit on their hands” when it comes to innovations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Awood05

Reaction score
As a born and bred Ford guy I always questioned how they mixed their trim levels and option packages. If you want this option not only do you have to go with a certain trim level but you also have to go with an option package that includes about 2 dozen other options. 3 of the last 4 Ford vehicles I have owned were junk. That is why I am now in a RAM. And I LOVE it. Sure it’s not as fast as my Raptor, but at this point I don’t care. I can probably mod it to the point it would compete but I’m happy with the comfort, quality and so far the reliability. RAM was ranked #7 in overall reliability by Consumer reports. That is out of 26 automakers......Ford was 22nd.

As for the new gen F150 the one thing about their options that has me puzzled are the new “Working man“ features they have. The lay flat seat, convertible console lid into a writing platform, the generator, etc. Those are only available on the higher trim levels. Most people that would actually get full time use out of those features are likely not going to invest money in higher trim levels with pano-roofs, heating and ventilated seats, etc....

I would also agree that the fleet and SuperDuty sales are what helps make them #1. I work in the truck equipment upfitting industry. Recently one of my clients said that RAM could take over the class 3-4 market if they only had a stronger service network. RAM seems to fall short when it comes to training their dealers to service the larger vehicles.

Quint

Reaction score
Former Ford guy as well. I had a non-classic Mustang throughout HS and college, a 1985 F150, a 2003 F150, a 2006 Ranger, and a 2007 Ranger. I loved the Rangers but eventually needed to get back to full-size due to towing and family needs. Back in 2015 I decided to give each manufacturer a fair shake. I tried to test-drive a Honda Ridgeline but no dealers in the Twin Cities had one on the lot at the time. The Tundras seemed to expensive for the what you got, I didn't like the GMC, and was neutral on the Chevy and Fords. The Ram got me with the 8speed tranny, beer coolers in the floor, and dual exhaust. In the end, I have liked my (now) two Rams more than any other vehicle that I've owned.

My Ram owner experience was better than any other that I've had (including my Acura) except for the whole cam & lifter failure in my 2015. Here is hoping for some better luck, but yeah, I am MUCH happier with my Ram than the Fords that I've owned.

BNeal

Reaction score
Although I have had 2 Ford trucks over the years, and had no problems with either of them, I have typically leaned toward the GM side of things. Before purchasing my new '21 Ram, I researched both - really wanted the GM's to measure up, but damn, nothing could touch this Ram. With all my vehicles, I have always purchased higher trim levels, but this Ram is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned - including my last 3 BMW 5-series. This is my first Chrysler product, and if the reliability remains high over the coming years, Ram is going to be really hard to beat - especially in the luxury lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread