5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Common Issues and Air Conditioning

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If it is hot outside, I have the A/C on, and I stop at a red light the auto-stop will only engage if the cab is at the set temperature. Otherwise the truck will continue to run. If auto-stop has engaged but the cab temperature climbs above the threashold, I have seen my engine restart so that the A/C can continue running.

As an aside, I was getting a deeper exhaust sound. Since I was going in for a free oil change, I had the dealer look. There was a broken exhaust bolt but not at the header, but further down the line somewhere. I'm going today to pick it up and find out where the broken bolt is. However, since I am beyond the 3yr/36k warranty it is not covered. It is also not covered by the extended warranty because it is not a mechanical part and the entire exhaust is excluded as a "consumable" part. They wanted $550 to fix a bolt. 😤

I also had an unsual sound out of my A/C, so they determined that the blower motor was failing. Covered under the extended warranty.

My 2021 Bighorn is a hair under 50k miles.
It's probably the connection right before the muffler. Common issue. I need to get some stainless steel bits to replace mine. They rust out and break. Especially if you never wash the undercarriage of the truck. And auto car washes don't count

BoxerguyT89

Reaction score
It's probably the connection right before the muffler. Common issue. I need to get some stainless steel bits to replace mine. They rust out and break. Especially if you never wash the undercarriage of the truck. And auto car washes don't count
I broke this bolt on mine and replaced them both with stainless. Took about 10 minutes to extract the old broken one and install the new ones.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it is hot outside, I have the A/C on, and I stop at a red light the auto-stop will only engage if the cab is at the set temperature. Otherwise the truck will continue to run. If auto-stop has engaged but the cab temperature climbs above the threashold, I have seen my engine restart so that the A/C can continue running.

Yes, that seems to be the way mine works as well. Until it reaches that threshold for restart the temperature change is noticeable though not unbearable. I only notice it on 100 degree days. I suspect at lower outside temperatures the cabin temp does not climb fast enough to notice during the duration of a typical traffic light.

Quint

Reaction score
That's exactly what it was, the connection just before the muffler.

steveved

Reaction score
FYI... The heater core on my 2019 went at 77k miles. Was a $1600 repair job. Everything else works fine. Oh, and my stock battery died after 2.5 years. Replaced it with an Interstate.

NightRam2020

Reaction score
AC works good. If you have a sunroof expect it to be significantly hotter even with it closed. Also ventliatd seats are terrible.
2020 Laramie CC 5.7l etorque 4x4 45k Miles. Ventilated seats work great for me. A/C in the New England summer worked just fine.

Houstontiger

Reaction score
A/C in a 22 Ram 1500 is good but not the best IMO especially here in Houston summer days. There's also an annoying consistent AC condensation at bottom of the windshield.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
FYI... The heater core on my 2019 went at 77k miles. Was a $1600 repair job. Everything else works fine. Oh, and my stock battery died after 2.5 years. Replaced it with an Interstate.
In the old days, 5 years, and 77,000 miles, it would be in the junk yard. That's not unreasonable to go bad. They all need a new battery at 3 years. At 2 1/2 it should have been warranty, unless you were over miles.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In the old days, 5 years, and 77,000 miles, it would be in the junk yard. That's not unreasonable to go bad. They all need a new battery at 3 years. At 2 1/2 it should have been warranty, unless you were over miles.
What are you calling the "old days"? Maybe 80's cars. Even go as far as early 90s.

cemem

Reaction score
I think it has something to do without what one expects from a 'ventilated' seat. Neither my previous Audi or the Ram are actually tied into the AC system to move cooled air. What most people expect is cold AC air blowing up from the seat, and that's just not how it works. All they do is circulate cabin air through the seat to make it feel cooler. My Audi did this enough to keep my *** from sweating against the leather on a long drive, but any actual cooling or moving air sensation was minimal. The '24 Ram is like a significant breeze across my backside and actually feels cool when it's on high...much better.

The only thing I miss with the Ram is being able to keep both the seat heating and ventilation on at the same time. With the Audi, I could keep my seat warm in the winter, but running ventilation at the same time kept it comfortable when driving for a long time. Oh well...first world problems solution here Emergency Truck Repair Davie Florida....
I test drove the Grand Touring yesterday. I found the air conditioning to be somewhat underpowered. I live in Florida and am a bit concerned. Any others experiencing the same issue or having difficulty cooling the car quickly?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I test drove the Grand Touring yesterday. I found the air conditioning to be somewhat underpowered. I live in Florida and am a bit concerned. Any others experiencing the same issue or having difficulty cooling the car quickly?
No issues with mine since I got the TSB. It works well, but still not as good as other vehicles I’ve owned. My Kia optima A/C is like a fridge.

Users who are viewing this thread