5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Common Issues and Air Conditioning

rustycar

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a new 1500 Longhorn and I'm curious what to expect as far as common issues. I do know about the exhaust manifolds. Also- for those of you who live in extremely hot climates such as Houston, how does the air conditioning perform? Thanks!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a new 1500 Longhorn and I'm curious what to expect as far as common issues. I do know about the exhaust manifolds. Also- for those of you who live in extremely hot climates such as Houston, how does the air conditioning perform? Thanks!
If you are buying brand new, should be fine. If buying a used 19/20, there may be week performance. But there is a TSB to address that. Only issue is the 19/20 trucks are out of warranty so would be paying out of pocket for repairs

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ac will be good in a brand new ram.

If you’re concerned wait until summer to test drive and buy

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
AC works good. If you have a sunroof expect it to be significantly hotter even with it closed. Also ventliatd seats are terrible.

RAL

Reaction score
We have a 20 1500 Laramie, white over black with the pano roof. AC works fine and ventilated seats help with the heat. We also use a windshield shade in our cars as it really gets hot here in the summer.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
I live in AZ, have a 2023. AC works great and cool. if you have a pano roof it may be hotter in your truck and harder working to stay cool. i have tint, limo all around and only 15% on the windshield so it keeps cooler. vented seats i guess help but egh not really.

disarm

Reaction score
AC works good. If you have a sunroof expect it to be significantly hotter even with it closed. Also ventliatd seats are terrible.

I've had my Limited for a week and am actually surprised by the amount of air moved by the ventilated seats. I'm coming from an Audi Q7 SUV and the Ram seats are substantially better.

RAL

Reaction score
Also forgot to mention keep the pano roof shade closed in the summer and cracking the rear vent window a couple of inches helps too to keep the interior from resembling the surface of the sun. HTH.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've had my Limited for a week and am actually surprised by the amount of air moved by the ventilated seats. I'm coming from an Audi Q7 SUV and the Ram seats are substantially better.
Interested. My 13 Acadia AC seats are way better then my Ram. I wonder if the 24s are designed better or if the Audi system sucks that much more.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Interested. My 13 Acadia AC seats are way better then my Ram. I wonder if the 24s are designed better or if the Audi system sucks that much more.
I had commented on a thread that I had never felt anything from cooled seats, that they were pretty much a joke. Had them in 4 vehicles. My new 24, they actually work extremely well. My back actually felt almost cold.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
...If you have a sunroof expect it to be significantly hotter even with it closed....

This is one reason I searched long and hard for a Limited with the options I wanted but without a sunroof. Plus, I've never felt the urge to watch the sky while driving down the road. Nearly every dealer in my area ordered sunroofs for all their Limited. Finally, I found a dealer that seemed to despise sunroofs and didn't order them on any of their pickups.

Only thing I've noticed about the AC is that it can start to get a little warm on a 100 degree day when sitting at a stop light in AutoStop mode. A push of the button to disengage the AutoStop function solves this.

disarm

Reaction score
I think it has something to do without what one expects from a 'ventilated' seat. Neither my previous Audi or the Ram are actually tied into the AC system to move cooled air. What most people expect is cold AC air blowing up from the seat, and that's just not how it works. All they do is circulate cabin air through the seat to make it feel cooler. My Audi did this enough to keep my *** from sweating against the leather on a long drive, but any actual cooling or moving air sensation was minimal. The '24 Ram is like a significant breeze across my backside and actually feels cool when it's on high...much better.

The only thing I miss with the Ram is being able to keep both the seat heating and ventilation on at the same time. With the Audi, I could keep my seat warm in the winter, but running ventilation at the same time kept it comfortable when driving for a long time. Oh well...first world problems....

Av1

Reaction score
22 Laramie with the panoramic roof. Cools great even in triple digit temps.

O'Town Ram

I know less and less about more and more
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only thing I've noticed about the AC is that it can start to get a little warm on a 100 degree day when sitting at a stop light in AutoStop mode. A push of the button to disengage the AutoStop function solves this.
Autostop should not engage if the system is calling for cooling

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Autostop should not engage if the system is calling for cooling

The “system” may not have been calling for cooling when auto stop engaged. If it’s very hot the AC just doesn’t keep up if in auto stop at a long light as well as it does with engine running.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The “system” may not have been calling for cooling when auto stop engaged. If it’s very hot the AC just doesn’t keep up if in auto stop at a long light as well as it does with engine running.
It should restart if it needs to cool..

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It should restart if it needs to cool..

I'm sure it does when it reaches a preset difference between set temperature and cabin temperature. In the meantime it's slowly warming until in reaches that temperature; warming that does not occur with the engine running.

Quint

Reaction score
If it is hot outside, I have the A/C on, and I stop at a red light the auto-stop will only engage if the cab is at the set temperature. Otherwise the truck will continue to run. If auto-stop has engaged but the cab temperature climbs above the threashold, I have seen my engine restart so that the A/C can continue running.

As an aside, I was getting a deeper exhaust sound. Since I was going in for a free oil change, I had the dealer look. There is a broken exhaust bolt further down the line somewhere from the header (apparently not due to rust). I'm going today to pick it up and find out where the broken bolt is. However, since I am beyond the 3yr/36k warranty it is not covered. It is also not covered by the extended warranty because it is not a mechanical part and the entire exhaust is excluded as a "consumable" part. They wanted $550 to fix a bolt. 😤

I also had an unsual sound out of my A/C, so they determined that the blower motor was failing. Covered under the extended warranty.

My 2021 Bighorn is a hair under 50k miles.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure it does when it reaches a preset difference between set temperature and cabin temperature. In the meantime it's slowly warming until in reaches that temperature; warming that does not occur with the engine running.
I don't have the auto start/stop on my Ramz but the wife Traverse has it. It's pretty sensitive and will restart before it gets maybe 1-2 degrees warmer

Users who are viewing this thread