5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

column shifter

Reaction score
Same here. Heard awhile ago that the 2500's were suppose to get the knob, while the 3500's were suppose to get the column shifter. Haven't seen one with the knob so maybe they will both get the column now (n)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No preference here...for all the complaints about the rotary shifter, I think it took 5 seconds to get comfortable with it. When you grow up driving farm and semi tractors of all shapes, sizes, and vintages, you learn to adapt ;)

GATORB8

Reaction score
The rotary was definitely easy to get used to. I also like the electronic column shifter in our Benz. Both save significant room over console shifters.

runamuck

Reaction score
I am ok with it but I would like the floor shifter in the console like the ford and tundra.

Vic

Reaction score
It's taking me a while to get used to the rotary shift knob.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hated the rotary knob at first. My previous vehicle was a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited with a 6 speed manual so I was accustomed to keeping my right hand on a shift knob. It took me a couple weeks to adapt. Now I love the rotary knob because it frees up space and makes a lot of sense. Most vehicles with shifters on the column or floor today don't have old scholl linkage anyway. If you are going to have an electronic shifter you may as well have one that takes up less space.

Cannonball

Reaction score
It's taking me a while to get used to the rotary shift knob.
It's way too easy to slam it in Park when you're jockey forward and backwards, changing your orientation (and i know I'm not the only one who's done this) has twice caused me to accidentally Park when i meant to drive.

I think they should have a dual motion knob where you'd have to push in and rotate to get into and out of park. Or a two stage push to get from park to reverse (one depth) then another depth to get to drive. Either way then you'd tactilely know where the shifter was w.o looking. Just like many console shifters have an athwartship motion at each position.

Vic

Reaction score
It's way too easy to slam it in Park when you're jockey forward and backwards, changing your orientation (and i know I'm not the only one who's done this) has twice caused me to accidentally Park when i meant to drive.

I think they should have a dual motion knob where you'd have to push in and rotate to get into and out of park. Or a two stage push to get from park to reverse (one depth) then another depth to get to drive. Either way then you'd tactilely know where the shifter was w.o looking. Just like many console shifters have an athwartship motion at each position.

That makes a lot of sense. I have also accidentally gone to park when I was trying to shift to reverse.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I am 50/50 on the knob. Overall I dont think about it. But there are times, especially in the beginning, where i put it in D thinking i went to park. The brain just needs to get used to knowing sitting still, wrist goes left. D, goes right.

My Jeep has the infamous spring electronic console shifter, while wveryone complained abput it and they eventually did away with it, I found it never an issue.

I could go column shifter and be happy.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
RAM 2500 HD gets the dial shifter...6.4l Hemi gets an 8 speed.

Manual transmission is gone for good:cry:

msrdkil62

Reaction score
I have had my truck for little more than a year now and I still accidentally shift into park sometimes at work when backing out of my parking space. I think when you order your truck you should have the option to have the shifter of your choice .

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had to rock a 4x4 survey truck out of the mud, the alternative being spending the night out on a levee. In a case like that, seems like the knob would make that more difficult. The 150 i was in had a column shift.

Aside from that, I like the knob ;)

Xmetal

Reaction score
I’ve had to rock a 4x4 survey truck out of the mud, the alternative being spending the night out on a levee. In a case like that, seems like the knob would make that more difficult. The 150 i was in had a column shift.

Maybe don’t go out on the mud when it’s too wet??

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ah, the good life on a Louisiana bayou!

Users who are viewing this thread