5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Air Intakes

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What is the Best Cold Air Intake? And how the hell can i get one to California?

Seriously though, looking at the S&B and the VaraRam. Any thoughts?

V/r Jason

Save your money. Unless you want looks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomme12

Reaction score
I put the Vararam on my truck a few weeks ago (new rebel 2022). It did give it a little more rumble for sure at certain RPMs. Maybe a little more kick, but debatable. MPGs have not really changed however, Im about to head on a 900 trip and will see if any change in MPGs are noticed then. Im not expecting much.

blakekt

Reaction score
Any update on the Vararam? I live at 8,500 ft in CO. Looking to regain some of the lost power from driving at this altitude. Thanks!

FirstRam2020

Reaction score
K&N filters like a screen door, why would you guys recommend that garbage?
Would you go with AEM or another company? Had K&Ns in different vehicles before, but if their quality is spotty for Rams, interested to see what other options may be better. Was debating about getting a CAI, but the price difference vs gains doesn't seem worth it right now.

Bobbybob

Reaction score
Just added the S&B…sounds good but that is really about all I noticed. In CO too and wanted the larger filter for more air. Now for some reason my electrical is all over the place. Mainly my air conditioning will not work properly and my controls seemed to reverted to an older version!? Anyone else ever have THAT one happen to them 🤣🤣🤣

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just added the S&B…sounds good but that is really about all I noticed. In CO too and wanted the larger filter for more air. Now for some reason my electrical is all over the place. Mainly my air conditioning will not work properly and my controls seemed to reverted to an older version!? Anyone else ever have THAT one happen to them 🤣🤣🤣
There is really nothing noticeable to be gained with different intakes. My Vararam improved my 0-60 and 1/4 mile times slightly, but nothing that could be felt by seat of the pants. Get an intake for looks. Any difference in performance that you may get will be a bonus. Which is why I got rrh Vararam. I like the look, and I go to car shows with my truck so the hood is open to show off.

Bobbybob

Reaction score
Agree. Good news was that it all figured itself out. I may have been in mid update or something. Let the truck sit over night and it updated and worked the next day. Intake is giving me a little better mpg. I pull a camper and I just hear more noise now. Lol

1923bob

Reaction score
What is the Best Cold Air Intake? And how the hell can i get one to California?

Seriously though, looking at the S&B and the VaraRam. Any thoughts?

V/r Jason
I just put a S&B on my 2021 love it. I had to ship it to Colorado then back to California what can I say thats Ca, for you.

TrickyDicky

Reaction score
Save your money. Unless you want looks

So this is dated but did you end up buying one anyways? I’m also being torn between anything “cold air intake” and mostly it seems like folks believe them not to work and just change the sound of the 5.7hemi and ETorque versions. Hit me back and tell me what you've done. Mines a 2023 ETorque Limited 4x4

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I got a used s&b from a member dirt cheap a while back. I got it only for looks, it’s done nothing for mpg or performance.

Reaction score
depending on the service writer a aftermarket "CAI" will void your warranty. the unit Ram sells will not void it. i have seen dyno's that show a hp increase with the k+n but it had higher intake temps at idle. like others have stated the factory unit is already a "CAI".

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
depending on the service writer a aftermarket "CAI" will void your warranty. the unit Ram sells will not void it. i have seen dyno's that show a hp increase with the k+n but it had higher intake temps at idle. like others have stated the factory unit is already a "CAI".
A CAI will never void a warranty. Anyone that thinks that doesn't understand how things work. If you have a dealer that tries that ****, report them.

Av1

Reaction score
I got it only for looks, it’s done nothing for mpg or performance.

This is it in a nutshell.

If someone likes the looks of a particular CAI, get it. But don't expect any noticeable difference in performance.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
K&N filters like a screen door, don't do that to your engine.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would like to get the Vararam or Ram set-up, but they're not made for the 3.6. My main reason for having it would be to free up space for an air compressor under the hood and appearance of course.

1923bob

Reaction score
So this is dated but did you end up buying one anyways? I’m also being torn between anything “cold air intake” and mostly it seems like folks believe them not to work and just change the sound of the 5.7hemi and ETorque versions. Hit me back and tell me what you've done. Mines a 2023 ETorque Limited 4x4
Hi TrickyDicky are you in San Diego ? I have a 2021 Limited Night Edition 4x4 5.7 Hemi ETorque and it sounds better and I think it runs a little better.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
I had the aem on my 3.6 for about 2 weeks. It was pretty loud so I ordered the top cover for it. It made is slightly more quiet, but not to the wife’s liking so it’s now sitting in a box in my garage. If anyone is interested in it, I’ll cut you a deal on it.

Users who are viewing this thread