5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Air Intakes

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
depending on the service writer a aftermarket "CAI" will void your warranty. the unit Ram sells will not void it. i have seen dyno's that show a hp increase with the k+n but it had higher intake temps at idle. like others have stated the factory unit is already a "CAI".

The claim that doing X will void your warranty is a fairly common myth, but it's just a myth with no basis in reality. That's not how warranties work and consumers are protected from this by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Manufactures can't just void your warranty. They make warranty coverage decisions on a case by case basis for each malfunction. They can't deny warranty coverage unless they can demonstrate the specific malfunction was caused by your actions. Dealers are more inclined to cover malfunctions caused by you rather than take the risk of violating the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which could subject them to a significant punitive judgement for violating the law.

Reaction score
A CAI will never void a warranty. Anyone that thinks that doesn't understand how things work. If you have a dealer that tries that ****, report them
good fried of mine was a mechanic now he is the service writer at a gm dealer -quote from him they will install any performance part or accessory and cover it (not void it) that is that is sold by the manufacturer and installed at a dealer. the dealer he works just had a customer that got reported for a CAI+tune/bullydog the truck is blacklisted in the system nationwide. funny thing is it was a torque converter issue that is common to gm trucks. he is a car guy told me and his customer he would have given had him a chance to remove said item's before it escalated it to that level but there was nothing he could do for him. but hay your mileage may vairy.
i had a SRT4 neon (i know lol) they threatened to void my warranty for the mopar performance blowoff valve and boost gauge i installed. it kind depends on your service writer they have alot of discretion. like a cop on a traffic stop.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its just as easy to uninstall said aftermarket CAI if your needing to bring it in for service and avoid the potential headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi TrickyDicky are you in San Diego ? I have a 2021 Limited Night Edition 4x4 5.7 Hemi ETorque and it sounds better and I think it runs a little better.
CAI won’t make it run better unless your factory filter was really plugged up. In most cases people think it running better or more power because it louder. Its all in the mind

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
good fried of mine was a mechanic now he is the service writer at a gm dealer -quote from him they will install any performance part or accessory and cover it (not void it) that is that is sold by the manufacturer and installed at a dealer. the dealer he works just had a customer that got reported for a CAI+tune/bullydog the truck is blacklisted in the system nationwide. funny thing is it was a torque converter issue that is common to gm trucks. he is a car guy told me and his customer he would have given had him a chance to remove said item's before it escalated it to that level but there was nothing he could do for him. but hay your mileage may vairy.
i had a SRT4 neon (i know lol) they threatened to void my warranty for the mopar performance blowoff valve and boost gauge i installed. it kind depends on your service writer they have alot of discretion. like a cop on a traffic stop.
So he had an aftermarket tune, and you are blaming the CAI? Modifying the tune is a sure fire way to void the powertrain warranty.

And the dealer can not void any warranty. They have to get approval from manufacturer, as it's a manufacturer warrsnry, and the burden of proof that the modification caused the malfunction is on the manufacturer. Even then, a performance modification could in some cases cause them to void portions of the powertrain warrsnty, but they can't void the entire bumper to bumper warranty.

1923bob

Reaction score
depending on the service writer a aftermarket "CAI" will void your warranty. the unit Ram sells will not void it. i have seen dyno's that show a hp increase with the k+n but it had higher intake temps at idle. like others have stated the factory unit is already a "CAI".

1923bob

Reaction score
I know it will not void the warranty. I know most people say it wont have a power gain or run better but it does feel like it maybe just my imagination. Like I said the big thing for me is open the hood and I can look and tell in a second that it is clean or dirty.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oiled cotton filters like K&N that are often supplied or used with a CAI are the worst for keeping dirt out of your engine. According to tests, like the one linked below, K&N filters are about the same as running no filter at all.

ISO5011 air filter comparison

Users who are viewing this thread