5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Air Intakes

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
You already have one on your truck. The others are just for show, or to make noise. Unless you’re heavily modded, and a restriction, then it’s a waste of money.

To answer your question tho, it seems the varram and the like are what most approve of. Have no clue about California

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
The stock air intake is for the most part a cold air intake. Unless you're shooting for the looks, without other performance mods such as headers exhaust cam and a tune you really aren't going to notice any significant increase in anything with a CAI other than noise when stomp on the gas pedal. Obviously it is your money and truck so do as you please but the stock air intake with a K&N drop in filter will be about the same result, minus the visual effect. As far as commiefornia is concerned, you will probably have to drive out of state to buy one.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can get any of those intakes in California from most online sellers. Even if they aren't CARB legal, you can still install it, you don't require a smog test until the 8th year of ownership (original owner). Even then, you can just switch it out between smog tests, which is every other year after the 8th year wait.

But just note, sometimes a cold-air intake could void your powertrain warranty, depends on the dealer you get, they are rather picky about intakes. Check with your local dealer first before you do this. The Mopar Cold-Air is the only one I know of that will not potentially void your warranty.

As mentioned, the stock intake is pretty good with cold air. K&N or AEM Dryflow drop-in filters would be good. If you get a K&N, make sure it has a good seal, that's where their drop-ins are sometimes hit or miss. If they don't have a good seal, the air will bypass the filter media and you get a new set of issues.

Also, there is a rather restrictive carbon filter on the top half of the box. You could remove that as well to improve air flow quite a bit, I believe there are only 4 plastic welds that hold it in place, a sharp knife will get it off pretty easily.

If you decide to do that, I would remove the top air box cover completely first, then remove the carbon filter, make sure it's clean of any bits of plastic or debris before you re-install it. If you try to cut out the carbon filter in place, you risk bits of plastic getting into the engine.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
K&N filters like a screen door, why would you guys recommend that garbage?

I normally agree, but I've had some good luck with certain models of K&N. Their real weakness is the outer gasket, most drop-ins are too thin and will allow unfiltered air to enter the engine. However, if the seal is good, then the filtration is actually good. I have one on my motorcycle and previous vehicles, all returned great oil analysis. Most Cold-Air Intakes will employ some sort of K&N style filter, so kind of a moot point to consider one if you don't like those type of filters to begin with.

But, that is why I also recommended the AEM Dryflow, which would be my preference for a non-paper element.

However, if I was doing heavy off-roading, I would only use OEM paper elements.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Most the people saying aftermarket intakes dont do anything probably don't have one. I have verified performance increase with my Vararam in 0-60 times. Couldn't feel much if any difference seat of the pants, but a decrease in 0-60 time doesnt lie. I'm not saying every intake will give you anything. But as mentioned, don't buy one just for a performance increase, because it's not enough to get excited about. I got my Vararam mostly for the look.

canative

Reaction score
When I bought mine a couple years ago it stated "it was for off road use only". As far as I know they are not legal in CA.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Most the people saying aftermarket intakes dont do anything probably don't have one. I have verified performance increase with my Vararam in 0-60 times. Couldn't feel much if any difference seat of the pants, but a decrease in 0-60 time doesnt lie. I'm not saying every intake will give you anything. But as mentioned, don't buy one just for a performance increase, because it's not enough to get excited about. I got my Vararam mostly for the look.
I havent used one on any of the rams I've owned but I have used them on other vehicles and there was no noticable difference other than looks or sound. Maybe a little difference on the mustang I had but that was a built motor with other power adders

SD Rebel

Reaction score
When I bought mine a couple years ago it stated "it was for off road use only". As far as I know they are not legal in CA.

Oh gotcha, I believe the most recent models are now CARB certified. Even if yours doesn't have the CARB sticker, you won't have to worry about it until your 8th year of ownership. After that, smog test are only every other year.

If you still own that truck in 8 years, I would just copy the CARB decal on the the current intakes and stick one on yours. The smog guy isn't going to look too deep into it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I havent used one on any of the rams I've owned but I have used them on other vehicles and there was no noticable difference other than looks or sound. Maybe a little difference on the mustang I had but that was a built motor with other power adders
Without some way to measure acceleration that isn't your butt Dyno, you wouldn't notice it. But it does make a difference.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Without some way to measure acceleration that isn't your butt Dyno, you wouldn't notice it. But it does make a difference.
Oh I agree but if my butt dyno cant tell then it's not worth it

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Putting an aftermarket CAI definitely won’t hurt anything. If you want it, go for it.

Doesn’t look like the OP cares about his thread very much

Users who are viewing this thread