5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Air Intake (CAI) or not? A lot of questions

JeffK2019

Reaction score
A lot of smart people on here so looking for some discussion/input. I have read the CAI threads, watched YouTube videos, etc.. but as I take in more data I have more questions. It doesn't help I can't even order my truck yet (dealer says Feb 7th hopefully....). So meanwhile I research the planned modifications once the truck arrives.

First off - does anyone even have data that shows the "cold air intake" actually lowers intake air temps? And I don't see how dyno data really mimics normal driving conditions - having the hood closed alone traps so much heat. If anyone really wanted to document this would be as easy as a sensor mount in the stock intake, do some city and highway driving while data recording, then swap in your CAI of choice and measure the same data. https://www.amazon.com/SensorPush-Wireless-Thermometer-Hygrometer-Android/dp/B01AEQ9X9I

In looking at different brands and data I see a lot of interesting discussion/information on BANKS site realizing most of it relates to diesel applications - but things like intake air temp and pressure change should be fairly similar. If you scroll down on this link - you can see BANKS data looking at various CAI units that actually INCREASE air temp and lower HP.
https://shop.bankspower.com/c-13-products-cold-air-intake-systems.html

I certainly like the intake scoop approach that BANKS has pulling air into the box. At highway speed I would think this could greatly increase air flow. Also having a longer vertical tube to keep debris and moisture away from the intake makes sense to me. The Vararam that people are installing does something similar it seems but I have two concerns: 1) how much of the radiator is the flap that hangs down blocking? 2) moisture - at highway speed and a rain storm just how much moisture is running up into that filter element? I know it has drain holes but the filter could still get saturated pretty quickly. If it was dusty, and now dust + moisture = mud, what does that do to airflow?
http://www.moes-performance.com/Vararam_Air_Grabber_Intake_2019_Ram_1500_5_7L_Hemi_p/vr-hemi-5g.htm

Also if air temp is so important - why are people not wrapping or coating their "plastic boxes" (CAI) in some type of heat shield material? I am guessing that plastic transfers a fair amount of heat into the box area. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MI0qDB_qSR4AIVFtRkCh2hGQsdEAQYAyABEgLnevD_BwE

I understand the attempt to lower air temperature is to increase the air density - but does anyone really understand just how much temperature swing is needed to impact air density? The BANKS data above showed swings of 30 degrees F - but we are still talking moving air density around the 3rd decimal point. Plug some numbers into this calculator for fun.
https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/air-density

Lastly - I felt this guy on YouTube, who clearly knows more than I do about this stuff, had some good points to make. Many really just common sense. It's a bit long at 20 min but I found it interesting.

I will get a CAI for the RAM. Not sure which one yet. I also do some carbon fiber work (hobby making longboards...) and think I can make a pretty nice air ram type intake pulling air from below the grill but back in the engine compartment and up into one of the enclosed CAI boxes.

Sorry for the rant - my wife doesn't really want to talk about this stuff!

Lize

Reaction score
Yes, theres plenty to consider and I think a lot of CAI can be very expensive for small actual gains.
I also thought the video interesting, particularly the part about the MAF which I hadn't really fully thought about, definitely to be considered to avoid running lean.
I'll probably get a cat back exhaust, but that'll be for a more pleasing burble rather than claimed performance gains.

Truckin

Reaction score
I will be the guinea pig on any performance gains with respect to CIA and Cat-back exhaust...Once I receive my Longhorn I plan to put around two thousand miles or so on her and then run a baseline dyno. Then I will install a Borla Touring Cat-back (in box waiting!) and an AFE Momentum GT CAI (on order), put another 1000 miles on her and run another dyno...This should prove or disprove any real performance gains...

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very interested myself to see true gains with some of these systems. I would like to get a cai at some point if it is worth it, but am waiting for now. I did put on a Carven catback exhaust, but for the sound and if there are any performance gains it is just a bonus. I did swap the stock air filter with a high performance Green Filter and also removed the restrictive charcoal filter when I did. I'm good with it as is until more options come out and we see some numbers from somebody other than the manufacturer.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hemi's have no MAF. We run a Speed Density system. This is an ancient topic going back 14 years to 2005. The crux is that there is no auto-adjustment in Speed Density systems within the engine mapping to take advantage of more airflow. The engine mapping, itself, needs to be altered; that is, you need a tune.

Anybody who sees gain from CAI's on Hemi's without a tune is experiencing what this guy talks about... things other than airflow affecting the dyno reading. The gains are not real.

Read LXforums for all the testing, dyno'ing, discussion, theorizing, and experimentation that you could possibly dream of. Literally hundreds and hundreds of threads and pages. Every CAI under the sun tested, even many home-brewed contraptions like the mentioned LegMaker. The guy who makes those is an actual leg maker, in the business of making prosthetics who, as a Hemi enthusiast, transferred knowledge of forming carbon fiber into making induction kits.

Bottom line? Sometimes you gain a few hp, and sometimes you even lose a few.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you closely look at the factory ‘19 ram hemi it is a cold air intake already. Sealed and the only air is draw in at the very front at the grill which is good size diameter all the way through.
Unless you plan on going big build, removing charcoal filter and add high flow drop in filter will be plenty and a super small cost compared to aftermarket systems. The stock filter unless super dirty is already more then enough air supply already.
I’m open to suggestions on wrapping the intake and ideas:unsure:

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you closely look at the factory ‘19 ram hemi it is a cold air intake already. Sealed and the only air is draw in at the very front at the grill which is good size diameter all the way through.
Unless you plan on going big build, removing charcoal filter and add high flow drop in filter will be plenty and a super small cost compared to aftermarket systems. The stock filter unless super dirty is already more then enough air supply already.
I’m open to suggestions on wrapping the intake and ideas:unsure:
This is what I've done for the moment. Removed the charcoal filter and put in a high performance Green Filter.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How are you liking it, how is the sound?
Maybe a very slight difference in sound. I also have a Carven catback so it covers up almost anything else. Also added a Pulsar at the same time and drivability is greatly increased.

GATORB8

Reaction score
I would say the chance of an aftermarket setup lowering intake temps appreciably is about zero, since, like most trucks since fuel injection became a thing in the 90s have stock "CAIs". That leaves you with flow increase, and it's doubtfull the 5.7 can't suck enough air in through the stock setup.

Now, if we were talking forced induction, this would change. On my old twin turbo BMW, yanking the airbox out and strapping cheap cone filters to the intake system (making a hot air, high flow intake) netted the best result. Dyno proven 30+ hp for <$100 (on a tune), but that was because the turbos could actually out suck the intake piping when tuned for higher boost.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Water/methanol injection.... sprayed into the intake tract. A must have for forced induction but even on a stock motor would do more than any CAI.

Users who are viewing this thread