5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clunk when turning left?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have started noticing (over the last week or two) a clunk that happens only when I turn left. At first, I only noticed it being sort of faint and only when I was going slow and made a full lock turn to the left.

Today, it is to the point where I can be driving down the road at pretty much any speed and cut the wheel to the left and hear this clunk. It sounds like it coming from underneath, somewhere in the front or mid section of the truck, but that's all I can tell, so far. I checked the cab, the in-floor storage, the bed, and my RamBoxes, to make sure I don't just have something loose in the truck (and I don't).

It does not happen when I turn the wheel to the right.

I found that there is a TSB from last November that just about exactly describes my symptoms. However, it says it only applies to trucks with build dates in a range that ends in Oct, 2018. My truck was built in Feb, 2019.

Anybody else had this clunking?

Any idea of the problem in the TSB could still apply to my truck, even though my build date is not in the specified range?

It's going in the shop next week to fix the bumper and tailgate (from me backing into a pole - dumba**!). I will ask them to look for the "clunk" then. Meantime, I just figured I'd see if any of you have any idea of what's wrong.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have started noticing (over the last week or two) a clunk that happens only when I turn left. At first, I only noticed it being sort of faint and only when I was going slow and made a full lock turn to the left.

Today, it is to the point where I can be driving down the road at pretty much any speed and cut the wheel to the left and hear this clunk. It sounds like it coming from underneath, somewhere in the front or mid section of the truck, but that's all I can tell, so far. I checked the cab, the in-floor storage, the bed, and my RamBoxes, to make sure I don't just have something loose in the truck (and I don't).

It does not happen when I turn the wheel to the right.

I found that there is a TSB from last November that just about exactly describes my symptoms. However, it says it only applies to trucks with build dates in a range that ends in Oct, 2018. My truck was built in Feb, 2019.

Anybody else had this clunking?

Any idea of the problem in the TSB could still apply to my truck, even though my build date is not in the specified range?

It's going in the shop next week to fix the bumper and tailgate (from me backing into a pole - dumba**!). I will ask them to look for the "clunk" then. Meantime, I just figured I'd see if any of you have any idea of what's wrong.

Hi StuartV,
We are sorry to hear about your recent concern with your Ram. Keep us updated with your dealer visit and if you are interested in additional assistance feel free to reach out to us via private message!
Laura
Ram Cares

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Others on the board have heard/felt the thump or clunk when turning and it was a simple fix of just tightening the bolts of the sway bar. Hopefully it will be that easy for you.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Others on the board have heard/felt the thump or clunk when turning and it was a simple fix of just tightening the bolts of the sway bar. Hopefully it will be that easy for you.

Whatever it is... as long as the dealer fixes it and without delays for parts or whatever.

After I posted yesterday, I noticed it now seems to be starting to occasionally make a noise when I turn right or go over a bump, too. :confused:

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a tsb for it. bring it in and they will fix it.

Are you talking about this one:

2019RamChuck

Reaction score
I had a similar issue and it turned out to by the Sway Bar link between the front sway bar and the CV joint. I hand tightened the nut and got it to the dealership where they torqued it to spec. Mine had gotten to the point where the link and sway bar were separating when rocking the truck side to side (also how I found what was making the noise). Good luck!

19jds76

Reaction score
Does anyone know the torque spec for the sway bar end link nuts? As far as the bolts on the sway bar itself (where the bushing is) does it have a torque spec?

19jds76

Reaction score
I called my local dealer and here is what they told me:
Sway bar end link upper nut, if its an 18mm torque is 69 ft/lbs if its a 19mm torque is 74ft/lbs . Lower Nut is 88 ft/lbs
Stabilizer bolts should be 33 ft/lbs.
Hope this helps.

19jds76

Reaction score
UPDATE: So after months of having to hear that popping sound when making turns or going over uneven surfaces, I couldn't take it anymore and went back to the dealership for a second time about this issue. This time I took a Tech for a ride so that he could hear the noise. Between the tech doing a thorough investigation and the service advisor doing some research in the FCA database, it was determined that the body mounts at the bottom of the A-pillars needed to be replaced. I didn't have high hopes it would fix the issue but after roughly 800 miles of driving and NOT hearing that sound anymore I think its safe to say that fixed the issue. I wish I would have asked the advisor for the TSB that described what I was experiencing but hopefully this will help anyone else that is dealing with this issue.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE: So after months of having to hear that popping sound when making turns or going over uneven surfaces, I couldn't take it anymore and went back to the dealership for a second time about this issue. This time I took a Tech for a ride so that he could hear the noise. Between the tech doing a thorough investigation and the service advisor doing some research in the FCA database, it was determined that the body mounts at the bottom of the A-pillars needed to be replaced. I didn't have high hopes it would fix the issue but after roughly 800 miles of driving and NOT hearing that sound anymore I think its safe to say that fixed the issue. I wish I would have asked the advisor for the TSB that described what I was experiencing but hopefully this will help anyone else that is dealing with this issue.

I think I posted this in another thread, but... I got mine fixed last November. The dealer first said there was a TSB for it and all they had to do was update the firmware. I said "okay." But I thought "no way." They applied the update. I went on my way. It was still clunking.

I brought it back to that same dealer a couple of days later and told them that didn't fix it. They checked and said "we found another TSB that should fix it." I believe the 2nd TSB they found is the one for the body mounts that you are talking about. I don't think they replaced the body mounts, but I'm not sure. I think they just torqued the specified bolts. They only had the truck in the back for a couple of hours, so I am not sure if they even COULD have replaced any parts. Maybe if they just happened to have them in stock (which I doubt).

Regardless, mine has been fixed ever since (15,000 miles or more?).

Users who are viewing this thread