5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clunk no-more

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know you said right but do you have the rear bed step. could it be coming from there.
I know mine has some play in it and some times when I go over bumps I hear a clunk from the back. So far that is the only thing I have noticed
Nope. No step.

neeya

Reaction score
Having a very similar problem, clunking and also slight squeaking noise from front end, both, driver and passenger side wheel well area. Pretty loud but only noticeable at low speeds over small cracks or joints or pavers on normal roads. 39k Miles. Noise started the after having a shop put on 2" front spacer kit (Tuff country 32105, a POS...?) and 33s. Took back to the shop after a few weeks to check the install and they "couldn't identify the cause".

-Checking myself everything suspension related appears tight and torqued, no movement or noise from any joints or connections...
-Cannot replicate noise from bouncing the front end
-Removed stabilizer bar/links and noise remained. May look into longer Maxx links, any options for detachable links on market? Ain't broke, don't fix.
-Some wiggle and noise from both CV axles on the inner connection. Seems typical? Not as bad as that video above, no issues at speed, in 4wd, or other typical symptoms. (see Video in link IMG_5558.MOV )
-Coil spring silencer displaced after install, and cannot re-seat with installed. (see photo below)

Would be great to get some opinions on this.
1. Coil spring silencers? maybe have the shop fix it.
2. CV axles?
3. Maybe just need even more torque on the spacer kit since its moment is off. Rec is 30ft-lb (longer bolted connection needs more torque?) Maybe spacer is sliding in the hat since it doesn't bolt on?
4. Combination?

View attachment 180536
UPDATE: Issue for mine was the preload spacer movement between the spring and top hat. The installer lubed the surfaces and the noise lessened, I had them remove the preload spacers completely.
No more issues, for now, back to stock with 33s.

Users who are viewing this thread